CPKC orders more fuel cell locomotives -- Ballard fuel cells

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/canadian_pacific_kansas_city/news/CPKC-posts-challenging-Q2-results-orders-more-fuel-cell-engines-for-hydrogen-locomotives–69815?oly_enc_id=0240G5852612I5U&fbclid=IwAR3Y6D11-Aaef-N0mG_8E7iTD9yscTOvSSxcxGIQcChOkxY38_x9Sf610Qg

Trials from last year successful.

"Meanwhile, CPKC recently placed an order with Ballard Power Systems for 18 200-kilowatt fuel cell engines as part of an expansion of the railroad’s hydrogen locomotive program.

"Over the past two years, Ballard has supplied CPKC with 20 fuel cell engines for use in three different types of locomotives, with combined fuel cell power of 4 megawatts, Ballard officials said in a press release.

“The locomotives have been undergoing field testing in 2022 and early 2023 with successful tests, Ballard officials said. The additional fuel cell engines are slated for delivery this year.”

2 Likes

WOW…Ballard…there’s a throwback to my earlier investing life. MF told us all that fuel cells would change the world back in the 90’s I believe… Never made money on it.

1 Like