Replying to Paul’s OP, but applicable to the several follow on posts:
Does anyone have a LIFELOCK subscription?
I THINK these are the kind of problems they’re supposed to circumvent.
Preventing the fraud, in real time, not after the fact. At least that’s the sales schpiel.
No, LIFELOCK doesn’t claim to prevent bogus credit card charges, that would be next to impossible. What they will do is notify you if someone tries to apply for a credit card, car loan, etc. using your social security number.
In August we had Ida come through and knocked out our power. My plans were to evacuate to north of Jackson, Mississippi with DW’s 3 cats. DW would drive her car and I would take my pickup to a nephew’s house. I would buy a 5 or 3.5 KW generator and return to do yard cleanup, etc. until full power was restored and DW could return with the cats. I have 2 credit cards, a cash-back card with Fidelity and a second one through Amazon, both with around $5,000 credit limit. I had a card through Bank America but them turkeys kept increasing the limit on it until it had a credit limit of a bit over $16,000. I never used it and a couple of years ago they canceled the card.
Anyway, to make a long story a little longer, the power company managed to jury rig a fix on the day we were packing up to leave. After the storm passed I went to Lowe’s to buy something and found my Fidelity card, which I use for local purchases like gas, groceries, etc., was maxed out. My usual monthly bill on that card is usually around $1,000. I went on line to the Fidelity site and identified 3 bogus charges for over $3,500. I called Fidelity and had those charges removed. They told me that they were sending me a new card, which I could expect in 3 or 2 days. Since our mail goes through N’Orleans, it axe-u-lee took over 10 days. While waiting for the new card, I noticed a new charge of something like $550.00 on the day after Ida knocked out our power, which I, of course, disputed and had removed. When the “girl” at Fidelity asked me “Are you sure that you didn’t order something from this company?” I told her that would I call XYZSoftware Company to order some thing with the power out, cooking by candle light and cleaning out the refrigerators and freezer prior to evacuating, huuuggh? She agreed with me that it was a bogus charge.

C.J.V. - and I couldn’t use the Amazon card for gasoline because it has a bad chip on it
;-(