Electric Water Heater, amatuers

A couple friends, 70+ year old women, DIYers.
They are crafters: paint “craft”, crochet, beads, kitchy stuff.
They been around the block a few times and ARE competent.
But, there’s a time and place.

The water heater is new, keeps throwing the breaker.
It’s in an outside shed, with water from recent rains running through it, on the ground/soil. Ie poor drainage.

The water heater is (I suspect) also for a “weekend rental” “cottage” in the back yard. Ie its not an emergency.

These two NON-electricians are gonna work on it. They don’t have the equipment.
Or, IMO, the expertise.

I told them to call a pro.

:no_mouth::exploding_head:
ralph

Water seems like the most likely cause. Shorting out a connection somewhere. Could be at the heater itself or the wires supplying power to the heater could be shorting. Under water. Animals like squirrels chewing on the insulation, etc. Keep water away from the heater. And check for shorts in the wiring.

Unlikely with a new water heater but hardwater can build up deposits that cause the heating elements to over heat. Usually that burns out the heating element requiring cleaning out deposits and replacing heating element.

If the water heater is new, call the plumbers that installed it. As the other poster mentioned, it could be a leak that is causing a short which pops the breaker. If it’s new, they should warranty both the unit and their labor.

They are 4 hours away. I’m not gonna be physically involved.

A “son in law” installed it. So, no professional electrician or plumber guarantees (?). From the comment wording, I get the impression SIL is not a pro.

It’s been raining, the unit is in a shed with watery and/or wet floor or maybe even wet soil (bare ground!).

There’s a time and place to be DYI.
IMO, this ain’t one of those times.

I’ll hear back in a couple days, what happened.
I expect all to be well, no matter how they handle it.

Other than suggesting they get a pro electrician, I’m gonna stay out of it.
:+1::alien:
ralph

Problem as noted is a wet location, not meant to be a fatal ending, hopefully, but mixing water and electrics calls for a ton of care, caution…

Hate that tingly feeling… And the flash, too…

Or, IMO, the expertise.

How do you know they don’t have the equipment or expertise?
Because they’re 70+ year old women?

Obviously doing crochet or beads or painting doesn’t mean that they’re adequately prepared for diagnosing and fixing an electrical problem.
But you haven’t said what skills they have (or lack) with regards to electrical work.

I am a “NON-electrician”. And I wouldn’t have any qualms with spending an hour or two diagnosing and fixing an electrical HW heater for my property. (I’ve done far more technically-advanced things than a HW heater even though I am not an electrician.)

You said the heater is new - did they install it?

If not, I agree with another poster - I would have the installers come look at it (assuming the installer didn’t tell them up front “Hey X is going to be a problem. If you want me to fix it I can for $Y.” Which means they already know what the problem is.)

It’s been raining, the unit is in a shed with watery and/or wet floor or maybe even wet soil (bare ground!).

Could be related to that.
Could be the electrical line from the breaker to the shed is no longer functioning properly and is consuming power when wet.
Could be a connection inside the shed has gotten wet and is consuming power.
Could be that breaker isn’t dedicated to just the HW heater like would be expected.

Quite a few possible things to check.
But IMO nothing a handy 70-year-old couldn’t handle.

Guesswork can be fatal…

Playing with others safety is not advised…

Use a licensed, experienced electrician…

2 Likes

Guesswork can be fatal…

Playing with others safety is not advised…

Use a licensed, experienced electrician…

You’re replying to me with this - so I assume it’s because of what I wrote.

I am not doing guesswork - I am stating a few possible reasons that could be causing the breaker to trip. And stating that there are many other possibilities. That is not guesswork, and certainly isn’t going to be fatal.
Investigating the issue and answering those questions in an unsafe way could be fatal.

I did not suggest any actions that they should take that would be unsafe. And I find it offensive that you are implying otherwise.

And I will stick by my statement that someone who is handy could do the diagnosis - and do it with no more risk to themselves, others or property than an electrician doing the same diagnostics.

The OP hasn’t stated what level of experience the owners have with electrical work - just that they’re DIYers - which could mean they have replaced the service entrance to their home or that they’re incapable of replacing a light switch or anything in between. So it’s really where are they on that scale? If they’re handy with electrical work (ex. can safely replace breakers, know how to use a clamp-on ammeter, etc) they could do a lot of the diagnostic work themselves. And would already know how to do it safely.

The water heater is (I suspect) also for a “weekend rental” “cottage” in the back yard. Ie its not an emergency.

Or, IMO, the expertise.

I told them to call a pro

We had a water heater die on us. I called 3 pros and none would come out. I YouTubed it and fixed it. Honestly would have preferred to be done with sweat equity, but good luck these days getting a professional to show up.

IP

3 Likes

You’re replying to me with this - so I assume it’s because of what I wrote.

Not particularly, unless you think it fits, it was just the last posting…

I happen to have many years dealing with AC, DC circuitry in my working days, from microamps to tens of thousands of amps… Voltages from zero to several hundred, simple circuitry grounds to single point ground planes, to building grounds… We worked under a licensed engineer/electrician who was on call 24/7, and yet there were still accidents… One poor fellow in Texas simply dropped a socket, automatically reached down for it, his head hit the bare 440 volt AC busbar, and exploded. So safe is primary, even with experience, training, stuff happens…

Life is short, why try to ever make it shorter by working in areas where others have the skills, training, to do it safely and correct by having all the information and tools, and the understanding? A few dollars, hire the work out, save someone injury at the least, a life possibly…

Safety First!

2 Likes

You have no recommendations left for today

Life is short, why try to ever make it shorter by working in areas where others have the skills, training, to do it safely and correct by having all the information and tools, and the understanding? A few dollars, hire the work out, save someone injury at the least, a life possibly…

Safety First!

Thanks wecoguy. THAT’S the message.

:+1:
ralph

1 Like

Update: the owner’s DH did the troubleshooting and fix.
The water heater is now (reportedly) funtioning correctly.
It was suggested that the “threat of his wife and her friend fixing it, was shameful enough to get him off his lazy axe”.

The water heater is, indeed, for the weekend rental cottage.

DH is also 70+. I’ve no idea his skill set/s.

I stand by my comment that in the described conditions… safety first - hire a pro.

:+1:
ralph

1 Like