Eli Lilly on Indiana Abortion Ban

Eli Lilly is one of the largest employers and the most profitable company in Indiana.

Major pharmaceutical company looks to expand out of Indiana following abortion ban
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/3590886-major-pharmace…

Indiana-based pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly announced in a statement obtained by The Hill on Saturday that it would look to expand employment growth outside the state following the passage of a near-total ban on abortion.

I think the US craphole states are going to be getting economically crapier.

intercst

15 Likes

I think the US craphole states are going to be getting economically crapier.

It would be simpler for the company to cover the costs of employees having the procedure out of state, but that runs the risk of the state government using it’s power to punish the company for not toeing the line, as we have seen in West Virginia, Texas, and Florida, if not state criminal charges for “aiding and abetting”.

Steve

1 Like

Lilly says that it is already doing that.

https://twitter.com/adamwren/status/1555894094244741120

1 Like

It would be simpler for the company to cover the costs of employees having the procedure out of state, but that runs the risk of the state government using it’s power to punish the company for not toeing the line, as we have seen in West Virginia, Texas, and Florida, if not state criminal charges for “aiding and abetting”.

The simplest thing to do may be to just threaten to move their headquarters. Not the easiest task, but certainly much more doable than trying to move Disney World. Plus states would be tripping over themselves to offer tons of tax breaks. I don’t think Indiana has quite the sway that Florida does in this instance.

AW

3 Likes

The simplest thing to do may be to just threaten to move their headquarters.

The court has done us a huge favor. No leaning on prior decisions. No leaning on just taking the WH. Either you vote the social issues or you are ruled from hell while it is falsely claimed as heaven. This is a huge favor. People were taking a pass on caring what would happen. None of it was actually properly resolved law out of congress.

We get no where with just moving corporate HQs.

That is more of the majority folding tent for people they do not respect or agree with in the first place.

Lilly says that it is already doing that.

When covid first broke out in the US, owners of grocery and drug stores started paying staff hazard pay to stay on the job. Within 2-3 months, the premium pay was cancelled and the “JCs” kept the money for themselves. I posted about it at the time, titled something like “from hero to zero”.

I expect “JCs” like Lilly to quietly move away from the comments in that statement on Twitter about diversity and enabling abortion, as “woke” is criminalized in more states, and the “JC’s” beancounters lay out the dollars and cents of standing on principle, vs conforming to the thought police.

Steve

4 Likes

I expect “JCs” like Lilly to quietly move away from the comments in that statement on Twitter about diversity and enabling abortion, as “woke” is criminalized in more states, and the “JC’s” beancounters lay out the dollars and cents of standing on principle, vs conforming to the thought police.

Who said anything about corporate principles (if they even exist)?

Companies like Lilly require highly educated people, including women, to run their company so they can make oodles of money. If (and it’s a big “if”) they have problems hiring competent staff to run the company because of the state they’re in, I’d be surprised to hear them say “golly shucks, I guess we have to make less money this year.”

There’s a reason large corporations aren’t fleeing to low cost states like Mississippi, and it has nothing to do with costs. While I’m sure Mississippi is a lovely state with lovely people, for some reason it’s tough to convince a certain type of individual to move there, low costs notwithstanding.

If Indiana wants to become like Mississippi, then best of luck to them. They’ll need it.

AW

23 Likes

If Indiana wants to become like Mississippi, then best of luck to them. They’ll need it.

============================================================

Salesforce, the tech giant with 2,300 employees in Indiana, had previously offered to relocate employees in states with abortion restrictions, though it didn’t respond on Saturday to a request for comment on the Indiana law.

The Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce also warned the ban was passed too quickly and without regard for how it will affect the state’s tourism industry.

“Such an expedited legislative process — rushing to advance state policy on broad, complex issues — is, at best, detrimental to Hoosiers, and at worst, reckless,” the chamber said in a statement, asking: “Will the Indy region continue to attract tourism and convention investments?”

Indiana lost out on 12 conventions and an estimated $60 million of business after it passed a religious freedom law in 2015, according to one local tourism industry estimate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/08/06/indiana-abo…

Jaak

2 Likes

There’s a reason large corporations aren’t fleeing to low cost states like Mississippi, and it has nothing to do with costs. While I’m sure Mississippi is a lovely state with lovely people, for some reason it’s tough to convince a certain type of individual to move there, low costs notwithstanding.

People on this board remind us, frequently, of the companies moving to Texas and Florida, in spite of the atmosphere in those states leading to enacting anti-woke laws.

Speaking of Mississippi, and one industry, Toyota, Nissan, and PACCAR have all built plants in that state over the last 20 years, employing 15,000 cheap, non-union, though sometimes illiterate and superstitious, people.

Honda, Mercedes, and Hyundai all have assembly plants in Alabama.

And Boeing has it’s 78 plant in South Carolina. Their work may be substandard, but the people are cheap.

All these states are among the ones flagged by the bubblevision article as the worst places to be an employee.

Steve

4 Likes

steve203 writes,

Speaking of Mississippi, and one industry, Toyota, Nissan, and PACCAR have all built plants in that state over the last 20 years, employing 15,000 cheap, non-union, though sometimes illiterate and superstitious, people.

Manufacturing jobs, sure. But you won’t see the auto industry moving their R&D facilities to Mississippi.

intercst

3 Likes

Manufacturing jobs, sure. But you won’t see the auto industry moving their R&D facilities to Mississippi.

This is true, for now. Some years ago, I foresaw a day when the only USians employed by GM would be the honchos on the top floor of the RenCen in Detroit, while all the products are designed and built in China.

If Shinyland keeps defunding education, the day when engineering needs to be offshored will come. A lot of auto industry engineering still occurs in Michigan. Toyota, Hyundai, Nissan, and Rivian, all have engineering and test facilities here. But Michigan schools are ranked only 37th nationally, due in part to decades of underfunding to help pay for …let’s call them “targeted” tax cuts. So, how long can Michigan continue to be the national center of automotive engineering, vs offshoring the work?

37. Michigan

Michigan was ranked 29th for pre-k to 12th grade and 42nd for higher education.

https://www.insider.com/us-states-public-education-system-ra…

Steve

2 Likes

Speaking of Mississippi, and one industry, Toyota, Nissan, and PACCAR have all built plants in that state over the last 20 year…Honda, Mercedes, and Hyundai all have assembly plants in Alabama.

Nissan also has a plant in Tennessee, and BMW has a plant in South Carolina. Steve, maybe the auto manufacturers know that quality cars can be built in the south.

DB2

3 Likes

Who said anything about corporate principles (if they even exist)?

Companies like Lilly require highly educated people, including women, to run their company so they can make oodles of money. If (and it’s a big “if”) they have problems hiring competent staff to run the company because of the state they’re in, I’d be surprised to hear them say “golly shucks, I guess we have to make less money this year.”

AW

Indiana is already called the Mississippi of the North…

1 Like

From what I’ve seen from Indiana, becoming like Mississippi is probably the goal.

2 Likes

sad but true.

PF, a life-long Hoosier