End of month selloff

Hey hydemarsh !

I, too, am glad you “miss-posted” to the board. There is some very worthwhile information in it. Too bad there are some that won’t learn from it.

You wrote: I am becoming increasingly dejected by the way students seem to be less thinking for themselves and more regurgitating a mantra about one subject or another.

I may not be an “old man” (only 72yrs) but I also see this happening and don’t know, for sure, where it will lead.

Best,
Rich (haywool)

Hurmph.

Glad you didn’t.

Qazulight

To me it seemed like you had “discovered” guru focus and were regurgitating the mantra to a group you do not really seem to understand. I am sure you are smarter than that. It appeared to be the way my most recent students were behaving. It came across as “Your way is the only way and if anyone disagrees with your belief system they are wrong.”

You descibed me in the 1980’s and 1990’s. I believe that this is typical of youth, or more importantly inexperience.

I grew up in South East Texas, Sheldon and I could have been neighbors. I was right about everything. Then I joined the Coast Guard and moved to Seattle then the New York City. By the time I left the Coast Guard, I was only right about almost everything.

Then I worked for the CIA in security. I traveled the world for a couple
of years. By the time I
left that job in the mid 1990’s I was just one of many. About the only thing I was sure of was that the grass was green and the sky was blue. (Mostly)

Having traveled for oil companies and lived in the midwest and faced some disappointing times, “I don’t know.” is my go to phrase.

What you are seeing with college students is human. Even Louis L’Amour touched on it when he wrote “The Walking Drum”.

In other words, you have changed, they are just you 50 years ago. I prescribe travel and relocation as a cure. Disappointment and defeat is helpful too.

Cheers
Qazulight (Wish I had that quote handy)

32 Likes

I agree. Fantastic post and thankful it was NOT private.

I hope it will added to the Knowledgebase as well.

– This…is the MaineReason

don’t apologize , lots of us enjoyed reading it.

2 Likes

Hi BrerBear,

Welcome to Saul’s board.

I notice you are a relative newcomer to this board and may have overlooked Saul’s rule that POLITICS ARE VERBOTEN when you contributed to his thread entitled Monday Morning Rules, http://discussion.fool.com/monday-morning-rules-of-the-board-331…).

Here is Sauls admonition verbatim: “That means that there are subjects that are Off-Topic for this board. There’s nothing wrong with them as topics. There are other boards where they are welcome, or even the chief topic of conversation. These include politics, which however quickly spins out of control and ends up with people, who had been amiably working together discussing a stock, suddenly viciously arguing. Political posts will be immediately deleted.”

To avoid posts that contribute pitifully little to the understanding of our investments, see also ethan1234’s excellent summary of The importance of board etiquette, http://discussion.fool.com/the-importance-of-board-etiquette-331…, in addition to studying Saul’s Monday Morning Rules linked above.

Those of us who avoid boards polluted with political diatribes will appreciate it if you reserve your political opinions for a board like Political Asylum, http://discussion.fool.com/political-asylum-113502.aspx. Your stock analyses, however, will be very welcome here.

Thank you for respecting THE RULES.

I. M.

7 Likes

IM: Thanks, am aware. Didn’t realize such references ‘crossed over the line’.

It won’t happen again.

1 Like