Entry lockset...

Ages ago I replaced my entry door with a heavy 2" thick mahogany door, new deadbolt & lockset… Trouble free until yesterday when the latch bot decided it didn’t want to expose more than less than 1/4". So it wasn’t really setting into the door jamb, a nudge and it opens.

I thought it was just sticky, looked for graphite, but when I grabbed the bolt with vise grips, it’s not sticky, moves freely after all, but still maybe 1/4". Using the key doesn’t push it out, will pull it in, but at least my fiddling got it to latch, somewhat, and we use the deadbolt anyway as far as securing it at night or if we leave.

Remembering as much as I do, not a lot, of the internals, I can’t imagine why this changed… I need to see if I can find the old paperwork, pulled a few screws, but forget how to release the inside knob, so just put it all back together…

This is the setup…
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schlage-Camelot-Antique-Brass-Si…

Maybe time for a new one…

Weird.

But your local locksmith should be able to resolve this for you quickly. And cheaply, if you bring it in.

Rob
Rule Breaker Home Fool
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Heh, if I could remove it, I could likely fix or repair, I need to find the actually assembly instructions, see how to get the knob off and get inside, the inner cover plate only got me to a couple more screws, but didn’t let me into the innards…

Still looking…

No local old timer locksmiths near, the last one I went to for keys was added that seemed high on something or other, not going back there again…

So I’ll keep looking, fiddling…

Last time I looked into this lockset I wanted to replace it with a lever indoor handled one, but I couldn’t find the same mounting hole spacing… So the quest continues…

I have a whole set of Schlage pins for re-keying, so if I replace it, I can keep the same keys…

Hi wecoguy,

Try this:

https://www.schlage.com/content/dam/sch-us/documents/pdf/ins…

Does that help you?

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my Fool profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx

1 Like

Or this:

https://manuals.plus/schlage/schlage-smart-lock-door-kit-f60…

1 Like

https://www.schlage.com/content/dam/sch-us/documents/pdf/ins…

Yes, indeed, that should help, likely the same as I tucked away somewhere, 20 years ago!

Thank you!

An option I considered for a moment was to go with a keyless entry lockset, but then, sanity returned, I don’t need one more complex thing to have to be responsible for… But I may use it to look for a lever handled lockset, if I can verify the spacing and match it to a set…

I replaced all the interior doors, hinges, locksets after I retired with handled sets, better doors, hinges… ran the local HD’s out of locksets at the time, had to head 20 miles to another HD to find enough…

So I’m surprised at this one failing…

An option I considered for a moment was to go with a keyless entry lockset, but then, sanity returned, I don’t need one more complex thing to have to be responsible for… But I may use it to look for a lever handled lockset, if I can verify the spacing and match it to a set…

Going to a keyless entry lock was one of the best things I did. I don’t have to provide keys on a temporary basis to provide access to someone and then remember to get the keys backs. Set a temporary code for the dog sitter. Erase it afterwards. When I was having the master bathroom remodeled, I gave the contractor a code to use. My kids can use a code instead of carrying another key on their keychain.

PSU

Going to a keyless entry lock was one of the best things I did. I don’t have to provide keys on a temporary basis to provide access to someone and then remember to get the keys backs

Ditto. I have every exterior door (except patio doors) keyless now. Been running 3 years on the same battery, so I should probably change them out. Programmed them all to the same code, so I only have to remember the one; any door I can go in and out without bothering finding a key. I love them.

I used these (*I see they’re now out of stock) because I like the fact that it’s no bigger than a regular doorknob. It also doesn’t move the deadbolt itself, it just “releases” it so you can turn it manually. That’s probably why the batteries have lasted so long.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HLVGO7Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b…

It holds a 4 digit code; reprogramming is a pain, and I haven’t used it for anything but trusted guests, so I don’t have a separate code for contractors, cleaning service, etc. Don’t even know if it accommodates that, but anyway, yeah, BIG vote for keyless.

I used these (*I see they’re now out of stock) because I like the fact that it’s no bigger than a regular doorknob. It also doesn’t move the deadbolt itself, it just “releases” it so you can turn it manually. That’s probably why the batteries have lasted so long.
That definitely helps. In mine the 4 AA batteries throw the deadbolt. Amazingly, it’s still good for almost a year before the batteries need to be replaced.

Going to a keyless entry lock was one of the best things I did. I don’t have to provide keys on a temporary basis to provide access to someone and then remember to get the keys backs. Set a temporary code for the dog sitter. Erase it afterwards. When I was having the master bathroom remodeled, I gave the contractor a code to use. My kids can use a code instead of carrying another key on their keychain.

Was there a brand that worked best? Battery life? Are there warnings if the battery goes flat? 'Droid or iPhone compatible?

Our safe has a keypad, I get an early warning if the batteries are getting low…

Maybe it could be tied to a doorbell camera?

Will my DW approve? Tough to guess without one in place… We have gone to a cleaning lady we trust that could be a user, set a day/time window…

I do see advantages…

Was there a brand that worked best? Battery life? Are there warnings if the battery goes flat? 'Droid or iPhone compatible?
Our safe has a keypad, I get an early warning if the batteries are getting low…
Maybe it could be tied to a doorbell camera?
Will my DW approve? Tough to guess without one in place… We have gone to a cleaning lady we trust that could be a user, set a day/time window…

In no particular order: I actually have different brands, an expensive Slage on the front door, and the one I showed upthread on 4 others. Plus two garage doors with keypads. They are all programmed to the same code, except being from different vendors they all end differently. With the Slage, it’s just 4 digits and turn. With the other doors it’s 4 digits and asterisk. With the garage doors it’s 4 digits and zero. Ah well, close enough.

I also picked a 4 digit code so it’s easy to communicate, since I didn’t get the super duper blue tooth automatic airlock toaster oven and solar panel models. They use wither a 9v battery (Slage) or 4 AAA cells (the others), and all give a warning: they blink red instead of green when you punch down on the keys. [2151 is the first year of Star Trek, for instance. 1941 is the date which lives in infamy. 2580 is easy to key because all the numbers are in the same vertical row. Etc.]

I made sure none of them had to drive the lock actuator, because: why? Once it’s “unlocked” I can turn the mech myself, and as I said the batteries last a very long time. I also saw no need for “Bluetooth”, because if somebody needs to get in remotely I can tell them the code as easily as open the lock by remote control.

These are all simple, unlike my security panel which had “maid codes” and “temporary codes for every Tuesday” and “three day” codes and the like. I don’t need them.

None of them tie to anything. I don’t even have a doorbell camera, because I can’t see taking out my phone and booting the app and figuring out who is there while they stand in the rain. I have a Wyze camera on the front at all times, if there’s a security problem I’ll find out soon enough, I guess.

Anyway, yeah, digital doorknob. Me like.

OK, I just had a reprieve! Inner knob on the entry lockset is round, I once looked at replacing it with a lever handle, unsuccessfully. DW’s arthritis and at times, even my own to a lesser degree made it difficult to open that door from inside. Not a good thing with all our NorCal wildfires, so I added a silicon rubber knob cover to get it a better, easier grip.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I45JLJO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b…
Works OK, but gets cruddier with brass corrosion, I guess because the finish has broken down over the years, but a bit of scrubbing cleans it up OK… So I’d had it off yesterday to clean up the knob, take a look for the knob release… Think I found it, but let the cover off, let it dry up…

So just now, looking for a delivery,(doorbell camera), I fiddled with the inside twist lock… It wasn’t seated right, I guess after this weeks plumber visit, I’d undone it so he didn’t lock himself out… I guess I didn’t make it as far as I should have, and it was preventing the bolt from extending all the way, only a 1/4"…

Final fix was to jigger it about a little, the bolt now fully travels as it used to! Solved!

Luckily I did not call a locksmith! Or replace the lockset!

Cheap Fix!!

OK, on to the Logitech doorbell camera world & HomeKit… And somehow my Ryobi garage door opener fell off the wifi… Hmmm…

Thanks for all the help, & information!