Evolution of EV Battery

Solid-state batteries are still relatively new, and since there is no liquid electrolyte, a solid material must be used. These materials, like graphite, can be expensive and hard to source.

Hyundai’s new all-solid-state battery system is designed to overcome these issues. The system applies constant pressure to each cell during charging and discharging.

The patent describes battery cells arranged in a closed pressurized chamber. The cells are pressurized by fluid in an isostatic pressure. A pressurizing device is used to control the supply of the fluid to the chamber.

Sensors are used to determine the pressure and temperature in the chamber, while a voltage detector shows the voltage of each cell.

Hyundai isn’t the only automaker that aims to change the game with solid-state EV batteries. Toyota has been vowing to launch the technology for years. Its first solid-state batteries were due out in 2021, then in 2022, and now it looks like around 2030. And that will be in limited supply.

GM, Volkswagen, Ford, Nissan, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, and others are working on solid-state battery tech.

Move aside lithium ion battery. There is a new battery in town. I don’t know if this development could disrupt the EV supply chain. I guess we will see if it does.

2 Likes

Truly fascinating engineering.

I expect (like many other Applied Tech entreprenuers) the solid state battery designers are busily looking at using graphene rather than graphite based cells, cutting the carbon to microscopic levels (one atom thickness), allowing profound changes for better in overall design, more than making up for greater manufacturing costs.

With the madness in everything else, watching the ever more rapid dance of various new tech engineering forms is stunning; maybe even a cause for hope,

david fb

3 Likes

Indeed, a solid state battery that uses fluids! :question:

What will they think of next? :thinking:

The Captain :parrot:

2 Likes

Just from what you posted, I am see SOOO many failure points. This seems overly engineered just to prove a point, not to make the ‘battery’ better.

The fire potential of lithium batteries seems to come from the “combustable” fluids used in them. Solid state or non-combustables would be a significant improvement. We have too many ship fires and other lithium battery fires.

2 Likes

There are several companies with solid state batteries for cars. Toyota and Quantumscape for example. The latter seems to have made a breakthrough. QuantumScape's solid-state batteries offer 500k km, no range loss

The challenge with these batteries, and with new tech in general, is mass production at affordable prices. My guess is that you will see these batteries in limited edition very high end cars over the next five years or so. Reducing the cost of these batteries for mass market cars I’m betting will take a decade.

In the meantime, lithium batteries continue to decline in cost and improve in performance. I am not convinced solid state batteries will be optimized in time to make much of a difference. For example, CATL is in the process of launching a new lithium battery capable charging 250 miles in 10 minutes. If true, then the improvements by solid state batteries will only be marginal rather than revolutionary.

2 Likes