fat as we age

A bit of biology in there, but basically (from what I gather) our fat cells lose the ability to divide as we age, and therefore (for some reason) lead to insulin resistance.

https://scitechdaily.com/new-research-finds-that-with-obesit…

They don’t say how to combat that, but it apparently is new information for the experts to chew on.

basically (from what I gather) our fat cells lose the ability to divide as we age, and therefore (for some reason) lead to insulin resistance.

No no no no no…this is not a universal phenomenon as we age. This is specifically yet another way in which obesity engenders defective function. In the introduction:

"In a review published in the journal Cell on February 3rd, 2022, researchers argue that **the negative health effects of obesity stem not simply from an excess of fat but from the decline in its ability to respond to changes, or in other words, its plasticity.<b/>"**

=sheila

On top of that, statins seem to promote diabetes. Several people I know developed diabetes within a year of starting a statin. Some could back out by following a low(ish) carb diet, but some couldn’t.

On top of that, statins seem to promote diabetes.

It’s more than “seems to.” That’s a commmon side effect of statins, unfortunately.

And a note re those negative changes in fat cells with age… It doesn’t occur in people at a reasonable weight, but only in obese people.

=sheila

1 Like