Feds probing BOFI for laundering

The article is very poorly written, and anyone following the story can tell that this author just piece-mealed (is that a word?) the recent history of the company together. But if the existence of a probe is true, it could be a major development.

http://nypost.com/2017/03/31/feds-probe-bank-of-internet-for…

Brian
No position

1 Like

BOFI’s response:

http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/bofi-holding-inc-issues-…

Rob

14 Likes

Response does not deny that there is an investigation, or did I miss it.

KC

I missed it:

The Company has received no indication of, and has no knowledge regarding, such purported money laundering investigation.

KC

The Company has received no indication of, and has no knowledge regarding, such purported money laundering investigation.

Well obviously the company’s sources are not as good as this excellent writer. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

JT

1 Like

With the quarter just ended containing a major portion of BOFI’s earnings from the H & R
Block transaction, it should be no surprise that the shorts have persuaded another journalist
to write a hit piece. This type of activity should get intense until the company reports the quarter. Am pleased to see that the sell-off from these attacks seems to be getting less severe.

Mike

2 Likes

FBR defends BOFI calling it a rehash and citing 2 years since allegations began in which 2 annual examinations have taken place, 2 mid cycle exams, multiple Federal Reserve exams and regulatory approval for 2 acquisitions as a basis for their belief that it is still an outperform. They believe the story is related to high short interest (23 days to cover) and would buy on weakness.

Rob

1 Like

Is there a confirmation from a source a little less sensationalist than the lovely NY Post?

2 Likes

I am puzzling why so many people still keep this as investment and try to defend this company? We have so many better opportunities than this one. The money was already made in past few years from this one and let’s move on. It just has so many lingering issues and not worth taking the risk. If you like banks, many better banks out there.

4 Likes

I am puzzling why so many people still keep this as investment and try to defend this company? We have so many better opportunities than this one.

We all think differently, but I respectfully disagree. How many quality companies can you say are going down right now? The short attacks on BOFI have been going on for two years now. While they may affect the share price, the business hums along. This could be a very good buying opportunity.

A.J.

8 Likes

The money was already made in past few years from this one and let’s move on. – qwsong

AJ has already given you an answer, but I wanted to address this part that I’ve excerpted.

Most long term investors in BOFI think it’s likely the company can keep growing for many years. Even for decades, although not at 30%. :wink:

Given that presumption, the money has definitely not already been made. Oh sure… some money, but there is far more coming for the patient investor IF they can continue to grow 15%+ per year.

And, I can’t resist. You mention “so many better opportunities” out there. I don’t deny there may be better investments out there. But that’s why most folks have more than one company in their portfolio. We don’t dump it all on one company. I’m sure that’s the case for you as well. But if BOFI doesn’t float your boat, that’s OK. As you say, there are many other companies out there!

Rob
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

5 Likes

Hello,

If you like banks, many better banks out there.

Your post would be so much more informative if you would list one or more of those
“better” banks and explain why you believe they are better.

Best regards,

Mike

7 Likes

qwsong:

If someone offered you a deal to double your money at the roulette table so long as the ball doesn’t land on the 0, would you take it? How much would you bet? Sure you have great odds to double your money, but there’s also a small chance you could lose everything.

That’s the decision you take when you invest in any stock. You take in as much of the available information as possible, and you invest appropriately bearing in mind the risks.

This is what you consider when you invest in early-stage biotechs. Depending on FDA approval, the stock could sky-rocket, or it could collapse. Betting your house and everything you own seems silly.

Putting all your money in one stock also seems silly because any company, no exceptions, could go under tomorrow. That’s why pretty much all of us distributes that risk into a number of companies.

Why BOFI? Because some of us believe that there is such a vast amount of fear, uncertainty and doubt around this stock over old-hash information. Everytime a new short-article crops up and causes the stock to drop significantly, it’s just the same 2-year old information coming up again.
That’s a buying opportunity.

Anytime any of your stocks drop, you look into the reason why. You either agree, disagree, or are unsure with the reason. If you follow your stocks closely and have really good knowledge about them, you are perfectly placed to take advantage of such situations. They don’t come often, but often enough.

That’s why.

5 Likes

Short interest has gone up about 5 million from the last month so we could start seeing a bunch of short attacks prior to earnings.

Andy