Filing Question for a Minor Child: Tax Year 2021

Our oldest child is still a minor and a dependent, and he worked a summer job in 2021. In addition, his investment account received a small amount of dividends in 2021.

What I’m not sure of is whether we need to include his information in our 2021 tax return or whether he is able to file his own return. I would prefer he file his own return, but if there is a requirement to include his income in our tax filing, then I’d appreciate that guidance before we make a filing error.

According to this page: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/when-does-your-child… , it does not appear like he strictly needs to file taxes, since his income was well below the thresholds, but filling out TurboTax with an independent return on his behalf results in a refund of all state taxes withheld from his paycheck. (He had no Federal income taxes withheld, but he did have Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld.)

Thanks in advance for your guidance. Happy to talk more.

Regards,
-Chuck
Home Fool

1 Like

Parents can optionally include their child’s income on their return, but only if the income is limited to interest and dividends. (And it’s often a bad idea to do that, but it is allowed.) Given that your son has wages, you cannot include his income on your return. He would need to file his own return.

When preparing his return, make sure to tell the software that he can be claimed as a dependent on another person’s return (that would be yours, of course). If you don’t do that, things can get all messed up.

–Peter

4 Likes

Thank you, Peter –

Much appreciated.

When preparing his return, make sure to tell the software that he can be claimed as a dependent on another person’s return (that would be yours, of course). If you don’t do that, things can get all messed up.

Done!

Regards,
-Chuck
Home Fool

1 Like