First looks at the new M3 MacBook Airs

Apple was up today on a down day for the markets. Maybe the new M3 MacBook Airs were why. I’ve had my M2 MacBook Air since last summer and I love it. I am not tempted by the new M3s, but it sounds like a great laptop.

MacRumors says that too.

Here are a few more links to first impression reviews.

Ars Technica

Review: Apple’s efficient M3 MacBook Airs are just about as good as laptops get
For Intel or even M1 upgraders, there’s a lot to like about the M3 Air.
Review: Apple’s efficient M3 MacBook Airs are just about as good as laptops get | Ars Technica

TechCrunch

Apple M3 MacBook Air review: Still the best Mac for most
Little has changed from last year’s 13- and 15-inch models, but the Air is still the one to beat.
Apple M3 MacBook Air review: Still the best Mac for most | TechCrunch

ZDNET

M3 MacBook Air review: Apple’s AI computer for the masses has arrived

Apple’s best-selling laptop takes a leap forward with the M3 chip, a boost to AI, and support for two external monitors to entice more pros.
M3 MacBook Air review: Apple's AI computer for the masses has arrived | ZDNET

Tom’s Guide

MacBook Air M3 — 3 reasons to buy and 1 big reason to skip

2 Likes

I found it slightly odd that ZDNet is particularly touting the M3’s AI prowess. The article says the neural engine in the M3 is 60% faster than the one in the M2:

Neural engine to power through AI tasks: According to Apple’s internal tests, the neural engine in the M3 MacBook Air offers a 60% improvement in performance over the previous generation M2 MacBook Air. As you can see in my real-world AI test above using the Denoise feature in Adobe Lightroom, I didn’t see that kind of lift. Nevertheless, it’s possible the Adobe software isn’t optimized for M3 yet. And the overall benchmark improvements provide encouragement that this machine could be ready for more. A big test will be when Apple releases its own generative AI features later this year. It feels like this product is anticipating that, and could already be optimized for it.

But Apple itself said in their media even last fall that it was 60% faster than M1, but only 15% faster than M2:

Yes, 15% faster is nothing to sneeze at, but it’s not 60%! I’m hoping M4 will do a lot better though.

Also, sadly, there will apparently be no big Apple event in March, per Mark Gurman. Too bad: