FKA:

We’re gonna need a bigger board

17 Likes

One of your better ones, Jim. Thanks for injecting a little humor

Perhaps we could get it a Dollar General. They seem to be out of knives.

. . . and steel plate umbrellas

Perhaps we could get it a Dollar General. They seem to be out of knives.

Surprisingly, DG stock has held up quite well in the latest market ructions.

I took that observation and a moment of greed to bail on my current DG position (at a very nice profit) and deploy the funds into something that seemed very good and cheap.

Jim

3 Likes

Surprisingly, DG stock has held up quite well in the latest market ructions.

I took that observation and a moment of greed to bail on my current DG position

Me, too. Their price chart is pretty amazing. It’s really hard to spot the market panics, especially the last three: the current, March 2020, & Dec 2018. Whatever gave us the few days around May 20 this year sure was nice though.

Thank you for pointing out dollar stores to the board. I’m looking at FIVE to complement DG & DLTR in hopes that at least one will be cheap fairly often.

Thank you for pointing out dollar stores to the board. I’m looking at FIVE to complement DG & DLTR in hopes that at least one will be cheap fairly often.

Speaking of others in the space—
I would like to own some Dollarama, a very good operator in Canada. DOL.TO.
But like DG lately, it has stubbornly refused to sell off, so I haven’t seen a great opportunity to pounce.
There were basically only two nice opportunities in the last decade:
the Covid selloff when there was no shortage of good opportunities, and (not sure why) a selloff at the start of 2019.
Even then they only dipped to about 20x earnings, quite briefly in both cases.
A 12 year chart of their rolling-four-quarters EPS is a lovely thing to behold.
I guess quality goods are rarely on sale.

Given the way I invest, buying low and selling high repeatedly, the ones like DLTR and (to a lesser extent DG) with prices that go both high and low every couple of years are better for me.
The ones with annoyingly stable rising prices are probably preferred by most folks.

Jim

5 Likes