For some reason

I expect a very upbeat and optimistic Annual Letter from Warren. Sure feels gloomy right now and it would be awesome for him to say “Don’t bet against America”

2 Likes

I expect a very upbeat and optimistic Annual Letter from Warren. Sure feels gloomy right now and it would be awesome for him to say “Don’t bet against America”

Has anyone else noticed that we haven’t heard much from or about Warren lately?

Like others I’m looking forward to the Annual Letter.

And to see how he’s doing at the meeting broadcast.

Don’t expect to see Charlie, although they might have a way to patch him in. That would be nice. Wonder if Greg and Ajit will be onstage?

A friend shared with me a copy of Charlie’s Holiday card this year. It showed him leaning back in a desk/easy chair with a pleasant half smile on his face. The caption below said “Still Here” with a traditional holiday greeting for a healthy and happy new year inside.

5 Likes

Sure feels gloomy right now and it would be awesome for him to say “Don’t bet against America”

You’re right, it’s the sort of thing he’d say in gloomy times.
But somehow I don’t think this counts as gloomy at all. Yet.

Picture Mr Market as Crocodile Dundee: “That’s not a gloomy market. THAT’S a gloomy market.”

Jim

6 Likes

I didn’t mean the market is gloomy. I meant more society at least in America.

1 Like

Don’t expect to see Charlie, although they might have a way to patch him in. That would be nice. Wonder if Greg and Ajit will be onstage?

I would expect to see Charlie attend the meeting in person and be up on stage next to Warren.

Maybe Greg and Ajit will also be onstage, but they could also be in the front row with microphone access to take any questions that go their way.

"I didn’t mean the market is gloomy. I meant more society at least in America. "

Jim missed this since it is always sunshine and umbrella drinks in Monaco

2 Likes

Jim missed this since it is always sunshine and umbrella drinks in Monaco

Nonsense! Raining right now.
Though it’s admittedly only the second shower this year.
So yep, pretty much all sunshine. 55-60F every day.

As for the umbrella drink, hmmm, sounds like a fine idea! It’s cocktail hour here.

My comments about the gloomth was more about global markets than about the societal mood.
I have a hunch that the markets are going to be a whole lot gloomier at some point in the not too distant future.

It seems to me there is a lot of false liquidity around.
People owning illiquid things they think they can sell in a hurry because they’re inside a liquid wrapper.
That’s great, until one too many people try to head for that narrow little exit.
Then you start seeing people selling not what they want to sell, but what they can sell.
Tangentially on topic, as I think that happens to Berkshire sometimes.
The late 2007 flight to safety price spike was seemingly followed almost immediately by the “oops…gotta sell that too” plunge.
I don’t think many observers think that Berkshire’s true value fell in 47% in five weeks.

Jim

17 Likes

It seems to me there is a lot of false liquidity around.
People owning illiquid things they think they can sell in a hurry because they’re inside a liquid wrapper.
That’s great, until one too many people try to head for that narrow little exit.
Then you start seeing people selling not what they want to sell, but what they can sell<<

I feel like I need to tattoo this on my hand.

1 Like