Free Obamacare for LTC coverage

… California is eliminating the asset test for Medicaid coverage and only considering annual income for eligibility. So you could own $100 million worth of Berkshire Hathaway stock and still get the taxpayers to cover your nursing home.

Like “free Obamacare”, big tax breaks ain’t just for inherited wealth and billionaires.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/28/health/elderly-medicare-m…

Medicaid, the state and federal program that provides health care for the poor and for people with disabilities, and also pays for long-term care in nursing homes and at home, sets strict ceilings on recipients’ wealth. In most states, if you are older than 65, you can amass no more than $2,000 in assets, or $3,000 for a couple (usually with a home and a car exempted).

“It makes people live in very deep poverty,” unable to save for emergencies or even modest expenditures, said Amber Christ, director of health care policy and advocacy for Justice in Aging. “If you go over the limit by a dollar, you lose eligibility.”

California will abolish this ceiling in two steps. In July, the asset limit rises to $130,000 for an individual and another $65,000 for each family member. In July 2024, the state will discard asset limits altogether. If you are older or disabled, you will qualify for Medi-Cal (as California calls its Medicaid program) if your income does not exceed 138 percent of the federal poverty level. The state estimates that about 17,000 residents will become newly eligible.

intercst

1 Like

So,are you thinking of moving to cali?

So,are you thinking of moving to cali?

No. I really can’t see myself in a nursing home. I’d be willing to pay a few million dollars to outfit my residence with whatever technology is available to allow me to continue to live there, but once I’ve declined beyond that, I’m going with euthanasia.

intercst

2 Likes

…but once I’ve declined beyond that, I’m going with euthanasia.

If it’s via dementia, once you’re beyond that point you might not be aware that you’re beyond that point, nor be able to take any action towards euthanasia. I’ve thought about that also, and given my mom’s state, I don’t think I would recognize when it “was time” because my brain would be dying (as hers is).

1poorguy

10 Likes

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/27/books/in-love-amy-bloom.h…

If it’s via dementia, once you’re beyond that point you might not be aware that you’re beyond that point, nor be able to take any action towards euthanasia. I’ve thought about that also, and given my mom’s state, I don’t think I would recognize when it “was time” because my brain would be dying (as hers is).

There was a film with Julianne Moore titled “Staying Alice” which hewed closely to this plot. Mrs. Goofy saw it and described it to me; as best I remember Alice had progressive dementia, and determined not to travel the long ever darkening road, put a bottle of pills up in a cabinet so she could take them when the time came. And then the time came and she forgot where she put them, and in short order forgot … everything.

I may have some of that wrong, because it seems thin gruel for a two hour drama, but I recall being told it was good, and I love Julianne Moore, so maybe I will dig it out.

There was a film with Julianne Moore titled “Staying Alice” which hewed closely to this plot.

Yes, it’s a wonderful film while at the same time depressing as h3ll. Like you, I love Julianne Moore, which is why I saw it and she did a bang-up job (whose character ironically is a linguistics professor). I believe she won the Academy Award for it. Alec Baldwin and Kristin Stewart as husband and one of the daughters had large roles, too. In the movie, she does make a video telling herself to take the pills ‘when the time came.’ And, she actually found the video at the right time, but was interrupted by her caretaker and then forgot about them! It does have a kinda nice ending moment, all things considered, but I won’t give that away.

“Staying Alice” seems to be a very good rendition of the plight of Alzheimer’s and makes you want to help do something about it despite, and because of, its sad story.

Pete

4 Likes

…but once I’ve declined beyond that, I’m going with euthanasia.

If it’s via dementia, once you’re beyond that point you might not be aware that you’re beyond that point, nor be able to take any action towards euthanasia.

My sister ran into a different problem. While she could indicate her willingness for euthanasia, the law required that she take the drugs unassisted, which required her to drink about 1/4c of liquid. She could neither lift the cup nor drink 1/4c of liquid, so euthanasia was no longer a choice. Thankfully she died a couple of days later.

6 Likes

I think the movie is titled, “Still Alice”. I happened to see it about the time when my father first started showing signs of dementia. Today he sits in a nursing home and no longer recognizes anyone he used to know . . . including his sons.

I liked the movie, but said at the time the title should have been, “Not Alice Anymore”. Because Alice at the end of the movie was not the same person she had been at the beginning of the movie.
The movie led me to thinking about how your plans for what you will do when your mind starts going are not going to work. When your mind changes, you are no longer the same person who decided that you would give up driving before you became a danger to yourself and the community, or end your life rather than live with a mind like swiss cheese.

My father discussed his desires not to live rather than live a life with no memories, or being a burden to others. I listened to him talk about these things about a year before I realized that he had started losing mental capabilities and memories. He had not admitted it to anyone yet. I didn’t know it when he first told me about this, but he had already started to have moments when he couldn’t remember how to get home from the store in the small town where he had lived for over 90 years. He would drive around in a spiral pattern until he recognized a building or landmark that would help him get back. Like Alice, he learned a lot of techniques and methods to compensate for the little lost moments. He wrote more notes to himself. He learned to lean into telling stories as a way to change the subject if he couldn’t remember the answers to questions from doctors or tellers or cashiers. He learned how to pay a cashier if he forgot what denominations of money meant. He would simply reach into his wallet and place a bill in the hand of the cashier and watch their face. If they took the bill and remained holding out their hand, he placed another bill in it and watched their reaction. If the cashier took the latest bill and started making change, he was done. But even while this was going on, he was still his normal self most of the time. That led him, as well as those around him, to ignore the rare dementia moments. . . until they began to create dangerous situations and eventually dominate his thoughts.

Today, it is very sad. He sits in nursing care with no idea who he is and apparently does not recognize any of his many, many friends who have tried to visit him. I am certain, based on our conversations from several years ago, that if he could look at his existence today from the perspective he held then, he would choose to kill himself rather than go on living like he is. He said that back then. It would have made him very unhappy to see his existence today. But, of course, he doesn’t have the same mind that did that analysis a few years ago. He simply doesn’t have the mental ability to even think about those things today.

What’s the right thing to do for him - for this new person who doesn’t even know who I am - now? I am sure I don’t know. It kills me to think of the man that used to occupy that body and mind no longer able to take care of himself, or understand the world around him. He was a pretty smart, analytical, accomplished, and very well liked person. He deserves better than this. But, of course, that man is already gone. In his place is this person who doesn’t know who he is or who I am. This new person is almost impossible to communicate with. He is unable to complete even the simplest of tasks. He is often frustrated and confused. He seems miserable. I don’t even know how to love him the way I loved my father and our shared history and experiences are no longer shared by him.

15 Likes

There was a film with Julianne Moore titled “Staying Alice” which hewed closely to this plot. Mrs. Goofy saw it and described it to me; as best I remember Alice had progressive dementia, and determined not to travel the long ever darkening road, put a bottle of pills up in a cabinet so she could take them when the time came. And then the time came and she forgot where she put them, and in short order forgot … everything.

I may have some of that wrong, because it seems thin gruel for a two hour drama, but I recall being told it was good, and I love Julianne Moore, so maybe I will dig it out.

It is s good movie, not great. Part of it is about the family dynamic. Unexpected people step up and others don’t.

Spoiler:

Basically, Alice comes up with a clever way to determine when she is too far gone to have life be worth living, and comes up with a clever way to make sure she can commit suicide given her mental state (basically a video message from her past explaining how to do it. But she winds up botching it anyway.

In real life Terry Prachett (the author) had early onset Alzheimer’s and had an exit plan, but wound up not doing it, probably the Alzheimer’s prevented him from doing so.

1 Like

He is often frustrated and confused. He seems miserable. I don’t even know how to love him the way I loved my father and our shared history and experiences are no longer shared by him.

Probably should be posting this on “Caring for a Parent”. In fact, folks are sharing stories similar to this over there right now.

My mom is in a similar situation. She’s still recognizable as my mom, but only just. I think it won’t be much longer (a year or two, if she lives that long) before I will be able to say the same as you said above. The corporeal being will be my mom, but otherwise she will be a stranger to me (and likely I to her).

I encourage you to go over and share your story at Caring for a Parent. We are sort of a combo support group and resource for advice.

FWIW.

https://discussion.fool.com/Messages.asp?mid=35065045&bid=11…

1 Like

Dear God, Nessie - what a well written, cogent and heartbreaking summary of what has happened to your father and the impossible choices faced. My sympathy for the (dis)stress you and yours are going through.

5 Likes