Fund/ETF Holdings as Criteria?

I’m curious about whether anyone has used mutual fund or ETF holdings as a criterion for investing? For instance, only considering stocks held by MOAT (BUZZ, …), along with other criteria? The idea would be to take advantage of the work done by analysts at those firms. Thoughts?

I’m curious about whether anyone has used mutual fund or ETF holdings as a criterion for investing?

Never.

The Fidelity ETF Search tools like the following might be interesting if your looking for something.

SEARCH BY STOCK
Looking for an ETF that includes specific stocks? Enter up to 5 stocks.

COMPARE
See how ETFs stack up against each other. Enter up to 5 ETFs.

FIND SIMILAR
Search for similar ETFs by entering one you already have in mind.

GD_

1 Like

I’m curious about whether anyone has used mutual fund or ETF holdings as a criterion for investing?

The Fidelity ETF Search tools like the following might be interesting if your looking for something.

Ummm might have some value. Example: During current times like now with Inflation concerns.
Search for ideas of inflation defense.

ETF Market Movers

Multi-Asset & Hybrids

RAAX
VANECK INFLATION ALLOCATION ETF

ETP Type
ETF
Asset Class
Multi-Asset
Net Assets
AS OF 01/31/2022
$35.9M
Net Expense Ratio
0.74%
Sponsor
VanEck Absolute Return Advisers Corporation
Inception Date
4/9/2018
Investment Philosophy
Actively Managed
Benchmark Index
Bloomberg Commodity TR USD
Legal Structure
Open Ended Investment Company

Top 10 (79.84% of total holdings)
PDBC
VNQ
EINC
IGF
XLE
MOO
GDX
XOP

GD_

One family of etfs in particular shows their holdings every day. They are Cathie Wood ARK families of funds. I suggest picking one or more like ARKK for example, and watch each day for the positions she’s adding to or starting to buy. You can print out her holdings each day and look at share quantities each day to see her additions. You’d be piggy backing her trades. Her funds are down now so it’sa great time to begin.

Most ETF portfolio managers are not as transparent as she is. They only show their top ten positions which don’t change very much. Or they’re updated less frequently.