Getting the Midwest's crops to market is going to be tricky this fall

And so is getting coal, sand, and road salt to midwestern states this fall and winter.

5 Likes

Railroads are likely to benefit from the reduced barge capacity. They tend to decline with the economy. (Shipping is a leading economic indicator.). This could be a good time to buy.

2 Likes

Can they haul the tonnage at the same cost?

They cannot. Nothing moves stuff cheaper than barges on a river. Although railroads are very efficient as well. At least its not trucks.

2 Likes

On a positive note medical examiners have plenty of work to do - examining the multiple sets of human remains exposed by the receding waters in Lake Meade - transported from Las Vegas, I imagine.

I am coming late to this sector, but this thesis sounds good. Except for BRK I have no exposure to railroads; I wonder if there’s a board or series of posts to help get me up to speed? I’d appreciate the help.

Thanks.

3 Likes

We do have a Railroads category under Industry Discussions. They have quite a thread on the Mississippi River problem. Low water narrows tow lanes. Some dredging in process. Barge loads reduced. So reduced capacity.

4 Likes