Here are all the Chrysler models you can buy next year

1. Pacifica mini-van.

2. End of list.

The one-time Big 3 member is down to one model of car, er, van for sale to the public as of next year. They will still make the Voyager mini-van, but that will be available only for fleet sales.l

It’s a stunning fall, I’ll say. Chrysler says it has plans to increase the line “in the future” without any specifics. Jeez.

5 Likes

It would be easy enough to badge engineer various Dodge and Peugeot models as Chryslers. Thing is, Chrysler used the bankruptcy to consolidate it’s dealers. Now, most dealers carry Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep in the same showroom. A bit redundant to have three versions of the same SUV sitting in the same showroom. The Dodge line is also getting very thin. The Hornet is a rebadged Alfa, as Alfa does not share showrooms with the rest of the Strabismus line. Outside of that, when existing Jeep SUVs that had a Dodge variant were replaced, the Dodge version was dropped. (no new Caliber version of the second gen Compass, no new Nitro when the Liberty was replaced by the Cherokee)

Steve

As a child of the 70s with parents who had the misfortune to buy a Chrysler 1972 Town & Country station wagon and had three consecutive summer travel vacations ruined by the astounding engineering and manufacturing flaws of that vehicle, the karma of watching Chrysler shrink into oblivion is entirely deserved.

That wagon had a 440 cubic inch engine that got 7 mpg. The gas tank in the car rusted out in one corner every 18 months requring replacement. The front ball joints failed at 16,000 miles. The rear axle lost a seal that led to the axle almost melting down, requiring replacement on a vacation while towing a trailer through New York State. The car triggered other repair bills averaging probably $150-200 every three or four months (and that was $150-200 in 1970s money).

Easily one of the happiest days in my entire family was the day that car was traded for a 1982 Toyota Corolla wagon and we watched that giant gas guzzling piece of ____ disappear in the rear view mirror at the dealer. At the time of trade-in, the car only had 44,000 miles in 7 years because that was literally all the miles that could put on it between repairs.

As I’ve mentioned in prior threads about the auto industry, I don’t think car makers fully comprehend how long the memories are for people who get so thoroughly ripped off on such an expensive purchase that has the ability to put the customer in danger (either by being stranded with a vehicle that won’t start or having the vehicle fail while driving).

WTH

8 Likes

My dad had a 69 Plymouth Fury. Mostly electrical, carb, and ignition, and body hardware, and plastic bits that broke, and more electrical faults.

I read of a columnist who had written about his 69 Imperial and it’s troubles. One night, his Imperial was stolen. The police found it, a few miles away. It had broken down.

Steve

2 Likes

Interesting. My parents bought a Dodge Coronet station wagon in 1969. I don’t recall much of any problems with that car that weren’t self imposed. Turned over 100k miles on it in 7 or 8 years. Lasted until the early 1980s when a radiator hose came off and my brother kept driving it until it started running badly.

Lots of good road trip memories in that car. I’d love to have it for those memories, but they have become collectible and fetch crazy sums these days.

—Peter

3 Likes