Housing prices amplify inequality

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/01/upshot/pandemic-housing-m…

**The Extraordinary Wealth Created by the Pandemic Housing Market**

**Rarely have so many Americans gained so much equity in so little time, but it’s also inseparable from the housing affordability crisis.**
**By Emily Badger and Quoctrung Bui, The New York Times, May 1, 2022**

**Over the past two years, Americans who own their homes have gained more than $6 trillion in housing wealth. ...Millions of people — broadly spread among the 65 percent of American households who own their home — have gained a share of this windfall. It’s a remarkably positive story for Americans who own a home; it’s also inseparable from the housing affordability crisis for those who don’t. For them, rents are rapidly rising. Inflation is whittling away their incomes. And the very thing that has created all this wealth has pushed homeownership as a means of wealth-building further out of reach....**

**The bubble in the early 2000s was defined by risky lending and overbuilding. Today, home buyers are on much sturdier ground with their credit scores, conventional mortgages and pandemic savings. Today there’s also a housing shortage nationwide. And that has collided with soaring demand from historically low mortgage rates, from families in search of more space during the pandemic, and from remote workers who could relocate to more affordable places. Home values, as a result, have been up nearly everywhere (making many of those affordable places not so affordable any more).**

**Price growth will most likely slow now that interest rates are rapidly rising, but economists generally don’t expect prices to fall. There’s just too much demand for too little housing in America today....** [end quote]

It’s no coincidence that the dramatic rise in home prices coincided with the Federal Reserve purchase of massive amounts of mortgage debt, suppressing mortgage rates and making a family’s mortgage payment stretch to a higher priced home.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CSUSHPINSA

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MORTGAGE30US

Now that mortgage rates are rising, what do the Macro trends tell us?

Unlike the 2008 financial crisis, people are not selling homes due to mortgage default. There’s no crisis today. People can afford their homes. Delinquency rates are low.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DRSFRMACBS

People who own homes, especially with those golden low mortgage rates, are likely to stay in them. This reminds me of the late 1970s, when people who had low mortgage rates from the 1960s and early 1970s held onto their homes as mortgage rates rose due to inflation.

Many older people want to age in place. The expected Macro trend of a wave of seniors selling homes to go to nursing homes has been fading. The last straw was the Covid epidemic. I think that the trend of seniors aging in place has legs – probably at least a decade, maybe more.

Millennials are moving into their professional earning years and looking to establish households. My mentee, Nicole, whom I began mentoring at age 10 in 2010, phoned yesterday to tell me that she is getting married. I’m delighted…and predict a lovely family which will need a home in a few years. Along with millions of others.

Supply of housing will grow but inflation has raised the price of all the components. So housing will be more expensive, even if supply grows to meet demand.

Meanwhile, those who can’t afford to buy are getting further and further behind. They are also squeezed by rising rental costs.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CUUR0000SEHA

Housing prices amplify inequality. Those that has, gits. Those that don’t are left further behind.

Wendy

9 Likes

Housing prices amplify inequality. Those that has, gits. Those that don’t are left further behind.

Wendy

I am perplexed with your use of the term of ‘inequality’.

It’s kind of the buzz word of how the economy is ‘rigged’, against some folks.

Just saying.

1 Like

The situation is amplified in high-growth areas like Austin (where I live). In my county and the adjacent one, home prices have jumped to phenomenal levels. Fortunately, by state law the appraised value can only rise 10% a year so many of us are protected. Also, those over 65 (yay us!) get an additional tax break. Texas also helps seniors by allowing them to defer property taxes and have them paid upon the next title transfer.

1 Like

… and taxing the capital gains to fully-fund Section 8 housing subsidies would lessen the inequality.

My home in a working class area of a Portland suburb has quadrupled in value in ten years. We now have people sleeping in their cars because they can’t afford to rent an apartment. There’s a roving fleet of derelict motorhomes and RVs that cycle through the neighborhood before the police tell them to move on. (I believe they’re allowed to return after 7 days of parking elsewhere.)

Crime is up along with graffiti and trash in the street.

That’s what rapidly rising housing prices looks like.

intercst

2 Likes

That’s what rapidly rising housing prices looks like.

I forgot to add – the rapid price appreciation doesn’t turn your neighborhood into Beverly Hills.

intercst

2 Likes

<It’s kind of the buzz word of how the economy is ‘rigged’, against some folks.>

Adam Smith’s “invisible hand” was actually the very visible hand of the Federal Reserve. By creating fiat money out of thin air to suppress interest rates, they inflated the value of assets – great for the people who already own assets. Bad for the people who didn’t own assets. Their incomes stayed the same even while asset prices were forced upward by Fed policies.

Yes, I think that qualifies as “rigging the economy.”

Wendy

3 Likes

I am perplexed with your use of the term of ‘inequality’.

It’s kind of the buzz word of how the economy is ‘rigged’, against some folks.

‘Inequality’ is the political buzz word du jour.

The Captain

6 Likes

Many other factors - go into this problem.

A young lady is getting married - and was fortunate to have a wonderful mentor.

IF she didn’t have that. And she was surrounded by “normalcy” being no education, being mocked for “acting a certain way” if wanting to be educated, felt it was normal to have babies but not be married - without thinking thru the financial consequences of such…she’s much more likely to get the short end of the inequality trade.

While people who came to America, first generation - with stable lives - will surpass her 10 times over in wealth.

But it’s taboo to discuss this as an economic problem.

Many times, those expressing concern with this problem - secretly perpetuate it.

6 Likes

Adam Smith’s “invisible hand” was actually the very visible hand of the Federal Reserve. By creating fiat money out of thin air to suppress interest rates, they inflated the value of assets …

Though cheap money may have been a contributing factor to higher real estate prices, IMO it is the lack of supply that was the major factor for increased cost of primary residences and pandemic related increased demand for vacation homes as the result of unsafe travel.

I’ve noticed a large scale up in new construction in our area. It’s the primary reason why we sold our rental. That is what will bring prices down, and decidedly decrease demand for existing older homes.

IP

"I’ve noticed a large scale up in new construction in our area. It’s the primary reason why we sold our rental. That is what will bring prices down, and decidedly decrease demand for existing older homes.

IP "

Actually, the new construction may increase demand for older homes although there may be an increase
in demand for “renovations”. People may need/want some of the new kitchen and bathroom features
but may actually want some separation between homes and lots. Featureless landscapes with
the “pop-up” homes remind me of the “Little Boxes” sanctimonious time (as supposedly said of the
Malvina Reynolds tune by Tom Lehrer):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUwUp-D_VV0

Howie52
Every time I expect some action or reaction from life’s circumstances, I am surprised.

1 Like