How I made money.

How I made money?

I was thinking that a casual observer of my year-end results, seeing all the positions that I exited during the year, would think that I was making money on short-term trades. However if you look at how my positions finished:

**LGI Homes 	up 161.1%** 
**Arista 		up 143.4%**
**Shopify         up 135.4%**
**Square 		up 98.1%** 
**Nutanix 	up 62.6%**
**Hubspot 	up 41.7%** 
**Talend 		up 39.9%** 
**Nektar 		up 29.8%**
**Nvidia 		up 20.0%** 
**Alteryx 	down 8.8%**
**Wix 		down 16.8%**

You’ll see that the top six gainers AVERAGED up 107%. You don’t have six stocks averaging up over 100% unless you hold them and have patience. The positions I exited were mostly small, look-see positions that I sold relatively quickly and that didn’t move the needle at all, or a few positions that I exited after a substantial time, half a dozen for profits of over 25%.

Best,

Saul

34 Likes

Saul, wasn’t your best return from KITE? I realize that could have been long term without the buyout as well… just curious.

MC

Saul, wasn’t your best return from KITE?

Yes, I think that was up 245%. I can’t remember how many months I held that. It was a small position, the largest of three or four small Car-T positions, but then, when a large company was approved for a CAR-T drug, and it was thus evident that Kite would also be approved within a month or two, I immediately sold all the others and piled all the money into Kite (at about $105 or $110, I think I remember), thinking it would rise on the approval. Little did I expect they would suddenly be acquired at about $190. Wasn’t my smarts, just that a big pharma with a lot of cash decided they needed a Car-T company.
Saul

3 Likes

I was thinking that a casual observer of my year-end results…would think that I was making money on short-term trades.

Would you be willing to post the length of time that you’ve held both stocks which you’ve held and are still holding? Obviously, you’d have to do some weighted average for stocks with which you’ve had multiple transactions.

If not, that’s OK. You already do so much for us.

I was thinking that a casual observer of my year-end results, seeing all the positions that I exited during the year, would think that I was making money on short-term trades.

There are many ways to skin a stock, for most investors most of the time patient LTBH is best. There are special situations where swing trading is better. I use it sporadically with long shot stocks that I find appealing. I’ve used it successfully with RBOT (acquired by ISRG), RTK, and KNDI which turned out to be one of my best performing positions ever. Currently I’m swing trading BTCY and doing great.

But that is not proper fodder for this board. :wink:

Denny Schlesinger

swing trading

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q…

Would you be willing to post the length of time that you’ve held both stocks which you’ve held and are still holding?

It’s actually three stocks that I’ve been in at least since a year ago.

The oldest is LGIH that I started my position in Dec 2015 (so that’s over 2 years) at $26.36. I bought a bunch more in Feb 2016 (almost 2 years ago) at about $20.50 average. It’s currently at $77.50 or so (so it’s about 331% of the average of those two purchases).

Second is Arista, that I took my initial positions in at $58 to $61 in Feb 2016 (almost two years ago). It’s currently at $232 or so (so it’s about 390% of the average of those purchases).

Third is Shopify, that I took my initial position in at $27.24 in Mar 2016 (almost two years ago). It’s currently at $107 or so (so it’s about 393% of the average of those purchases).

That’s what I was trying to explain. Do you think it would have mattered to me if, for example, I had bought Shopify at $27.00 or $27.50 instead of $27.27??? But how about if I waited for it to go down and never got it??? [It turns out it just went up, and all subsequent purchases were on the way up.]

Best,

Saul

13 Likes