I wish TMF would.......

Actually, for me, I am surprised that they tolerated so much crap for so many years. I don’t think this transition has been handled perfectly, e.g., seemingly redirecting all platform-specific computer help boards to one board, but I can’t see anyone who was primarily here for investing info being upset about what is gone. Yeah, followed a couple of those boards for amusement, but I haven’t lost anything but amusement from their being gone. There are lots of ways to get amusement and that has nothing to do with why TMF is here.

4 Likes

There are lots of ways to get amusement and that has nothing to do with why TMF is here.

Except, of course, TMF used to use the slogan, to educate, enrich, and amuse. Amusement was part of their early raison d’être.

Apparently, that has gone by the wayside. What is it now? To enrich, and to heck with education and amusement.

–Peter

15 Likes

"speaks loudly about the current ethos of TMF.

=sheila "

Goes a long way to explaining why the closed the “Everyday Ethics” board.

Howie52

8 Likes

Lots of education happens here … and a certain amount of amusement, intentional or otherwise.

“my wish list about TMF”

I wish TMF many and varied adverts above the discussion boards and posts would be moved
such that the post could be read without a jump in the screen or have a premature click
trigger the release of the advert.

Howie52
The adverts tell a lot about how the site uses individual data or how the rules of
coincidence are as important as the 4% safe withdrawal rule is to retiree’s discussion
boards.

3 Likes

Install AdBlock Plus and the ads will be gone.

3 Likes

Install AdBlock Plus and the ads will be gone.

I used to use AdBlock+ and it worked very well. I switched to uBlock Origin (I know longer remember why) and it works very well too. It is blocking 4 things as I am typing this.

1 Like

No timeline-not even a very rough one-was provided, and the door shut with no warning.

There was plenty of warning. Over a month’s worth, if I recall correctly. That you didn’t get a countdown timer is pretty thin gruel, I think.

When a radio station changes format, do they give you a warning? How about when a TV show is cancelled? When a magazine reformats itself? When a designer decides “blue” is out?

Let’s all grow up. Things change. Companies change things. We don’t always like that, but it’s how the world works. Perhaps the new format will be better. Perhaps it won’t. C’est la vie.

15 Likes

I wish TMF many and varied adverts above the discussion boards and posts would be moved
such that the post could be read without a jump in the screen or have a premature click
trigger the release of the advert.

I’ll take your word for it that you see them. I have nothing like that. As others have said, running an ad blocker makes the TMF boards (and web browsing in general) a far less annoying experience. In my case I have Adblock Plus installed on Firefox.

There are sites I visit that complain about ads being blocked. For those sites I have a shortcut that opens a different browser (Chrome) in Incognito mode. My setup of Chrome does not have ad blocking enabled. Incognito mode prevents web sites from leaving any footprints on my computer… nothing in the browser cache, no cookies.

1 Like

There was plenty of warning. Over a month’s worth, if I recall correctly.

I hadn’t been able to keep up with TMF for at least several weeks, because of the intense mold mitigation work and then major rebuilding (post-hurricane Ida flood damage to the downstairs of my Greenwich Village apartment), and especially the exhausting preparation preceding that, and the initial notifice appeared during that time. I began catching up beginning around April 13. And was floored at what I discovered. Very shortly after that, the distress expressed on this board that no timeline had been provided was soothed (very momenetarily) by someone from TMF who said not to worry, it won’t be anytime very soon, that things were moving slowly, and although there was no stated date for pulling the plug on all of the nonfinancial boards, she could assure us that it wouldn’t be until some point during the summer. So I breathed a huge sigh of relief, continued catching up, planned to respond very very soon to certain posts that required more than a fast comment—and before you could blink, I woke up to find that most of my boards were now “closed.”

True, my awareness was foreshortened by my need for minimal computer time when the announcement was made. But that does not alter the blatantly insensitive, uncaring way in which it was all handled (let alone the initial decision, though I know not everyone agrees). And I actually think that TMF should have sent an email to all TMF members about this upcoming change in board legitimacy, to make sure that everyone—whether regular posters, occasional posters, or posters temporarily away from the boards—was aware.

=sheila

9 Likes

someone from TMF who said not to worry, it won’t be anytime very soon, that things were moving slowly, and although there was no stated date

My memory is this was about the migration to the new platform which one might have assumed would coincide with the board closings, but in practice the board closings need to have happened in advance and allow time for sorting the kinks. I suspect if one was a participant on the boards where the new software is being experimentally used, this might be more apparent.

I’ll take your word for it that you see them. I have nothing like that. As others have said, running an ad blocker makes the TMF boards (and web browsing in general) a far less annoying experience. In my case I have Adblock Plus installed on Firefox.

There are sites I visit that complain about ads being blocked. For those sites I have a shortcut that opens a different browser (Chrome) in Incognito mode. My setup of Chrome does not have ad blocking enabled. Incognito mode prevents web sites from leaving any footprints on my computer… nothing in the browser cache, no cookies

I have a slightly different solution. I use uBlockOrigin. If I bring up a page that objects to having its ads blocked, and I want to see that page or site, I click on the little uBlock icon on my Firefox’s message bar and a popup allows me the opportunity to disable ad blocking on that page or site…

Oh, and another thing…the blatant hypocrisy of a TMF-person…

This TMF-person made the announcement political posts will not be allowed and all political Boards will be close.
Also, included in the announcement all non-financial Boards will be closed, including the social Boards.
I’m sure most every Fool had a favorite social Board they posted at or some regularly lurked at.
Fools on the social Boards enjoyed the camaraderie, sharing fun, ideas, advice.
Some Fools were house bound, the social Boards were an outlet for them.

So, to get to my point. This TMF-person has had his own social Board for many years
enjoying the fun and friendship with the regulars who posted on his Board.
And Then…What? Close down the TMF-person social Board too? No No…

The TMF-person decided ‘we needed a reprieve’ so with the stroke of a keyboard
changed the name of his Board to include the words, ‘Consumer Issues’, moved this Board to the Personal Finance
and with a cheer leader rah, rah we still can keep the fun going.

The Board seemed to take off for a bit then died down. It’s been over a month since the last post.
Guess this Board will not be, “one of the most popular boards in Foolcom”

Karma?

10 Likes

So where are they? Link? I find it just awful to maneuver around the new TMF

Discussion.fool.com is the link but basically, it’s the platform where you posted this question.

In defense of TMF they are a well respected Investment firm, and their discussion boards reflect positively or negatively on the Company. I have been posting here for probably 15 years. I watched the non investment boards thrive for over a decade. You could go to the Political Asylum board, and you could find real discussions going on between far left posters, and far right posters about things that really mattered. We all showed respect to other posters, and we respected the opinions of other posters, and we always posted a link to back up what we were saying.

Then things changed. The Country became deeply divided politically, and disruptive and uncivil posters became a daily occurrence. For years TMF tried banning those who were uncivil and disruptive, but they just came back under a different name. It was like playing wack a mole. I always felt sorry for the Moderator who had to go through zillions of really nasty and flagged posts every day. The non investment boards no longer reflected TMF’s high standards. TMF is an Investment firm, and Moderating the non Investment boards became a full time job, and the nasty posts on the Political boards clearly reflected badly on the Company.

I am grateful for the 15+ years of wonderful discussions we once had on the non Investment boards. I am sorry the non investment boards had to go, but I totally agree with the Companies decision to take them all down, so they could focus more on investments, and less on politics and other topics that had nothing to do with investing.

Just my own personal opinion of course…
Bean

1 Like

TMF set the rules, but many nasty posters refused to follow the rules. The truth is that a few bad apples ruined the non investment boards for everyone. We all know who those posters are, and I hope they are happy with themselves, and I wish them all well.

Bean

I left because I was tired of being run over by the same trucks over and over again. After a while it just gets old. Most people have better things to do with their time, then to be verbally assaulted by those who came to the non investment boards just to argue with posters who did not agree with them.

Bean