IIHS setting cars up to fail

Saw this coming, when the IIHS openly said it would change it’s side impact crash tests to make large SUVs appear safer than passenger cars, due entirely to their higher ride height.

Altima, Accord, Camry and Malibu Fare Poorly in IIHS Crash Tests

For this test, the IIHS examined the Chevrolet Malibu, Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata, Nissan Altima, Subaru Outback, Toyota Camry, and the Volkswagen Jetta, and the results were not good.

Midsize SUVs fared better, with the Ford Explorer, Infiniti QX60, Lincoln Aviator, Mazda CX-9, Nissan Pathfinder, Subaru Ascent, Toyota Highlander, Volkswagen Atlas, Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport and Volkswagen ID.4 all earning good rating.

https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2022/08/altima-accord-camry…

So how relevant is their side impact test, that is being leveraged to tar conventional passenger cars and smaller CUVs?

Auto accident direction of impact, 2019:

Front Impact 2,800,000

Rear Impact 1,570,000

Left Side Impact 608,000

Right Side Impact 555,000

Other/Unknown Impact 1,000

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/what-are-the-most-c…

Additionally, only 41% of accidents even involve impact with another motor vehicle. 28.3% are impact with a fixed object and 18.9% with a pedestrian.

Type of Crash

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-vehicle/overview/type-of-c…

Only 27% of accidents are side impact. Only 14% are impacts on the driver’s side, where a person is certainly sitting. In my observations, in the majority of cases, the passenger side seats of cars I observe are unoccupied, so an impact on that side will not hit the occupant of the car. And, of all impacts, only a portion are from impact with another vehicle.

I have seen the aftermath of plenty of accidents over the years. Some on ice and snow. Some on clear, dry, pavement, in broad daylight. Overhwelmingly, the passenger cars involved are right side up, while SUVs are often on their roof, due to their high CG, due to their high ride height, that the IIHS tailors it’s tests to call “more safe”.

Steve

10 Likes

Steve, I’m not a car expert. I missed your point.

Why would anyone have an interest in changing crash tests to make large SUVs appear safer than passenger cars? These are different types of vehicles that appeal to different customers. Why compare them since people who want one won’t be interested in buying the other?

Safety is important to me. The high safety rating of the Impreza was a key factor in my purchase decision. I compared the safety of small hatchbacks to each other. But I wouldn’t have bought a large SUV even if the crash test showed it was safer. I expect a heavy vehicle with a high passenger seat to have less damage in a collision than a small passsenger car.

Incidentally, my father died in an SUV rollover accident.

Wendy

2 Likes

Why would anyone have an interest in changing crash tests to make large SUVs appear safer than passenger cars?

Without getting into conspiracy theories about how the automakers want to sell larger SUVs, because they are more profitable, and the oil industry wants people driving larger SUVs because they burn more gas, the basic problem is size and mass differences between vehicles on the road. When a small car and a big truck collide, the small car will come off second best. So, the incentive is to push everyone into the same size vehicle. The auto industry has enabled ever larger, more expensive, vehicles by offering financing for ever longer periods, so the IIHS is following that trend in designing it’s tests to favor larger vehicles.

This is the IIHS’ reasoning in changing it’s tests.

IIHS raises Top Safety Pick bar with tougher side crash test

"Nearly all new cars score a “Good” rating in the original side crash test, yet people are still dying in side crashes,” Joe Young, IIHS director of public relations, said in an interview.

“The average weight of SUVs on the road has increased about 1,000 lb over the last 20 years to about 4,600 lb,” Young said. “The new barrier weighs 4,180 lb, which is about in line with the average weight of a mid-size SUV.” (recall, the article I posted noted their idea of a “mid-size” SUV, along the lines of a Ford Explorer or Lincoln Aviator. I think those things are huge)

The original test launched in 2003 had a 3,300-lb barrier striking the test car side at 31 mph. The new test uses the heavier barrier and a strike speed of 37 mph.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1133988_iihs-raises-to…

Not only passenger cars are suffering under the revised tests, so are smaller CUVs, as was the intention in revising the tests.

Small SUVs struggle in new, tougher side test

“We developed this new test because we suspected there was room for more progress, and these results confirm that,” IIHS President David Harkey says. “The good rating for the CX-5 shows that robust protection in a more severe side crash is achievable.”

Nine vehicles earn acceptable ratings: the Audi Q3, Buick Encore, Chevrolet Trax, Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue, Subaru Forester, Toyota RAV4, Toyota Venza and Volvo XC40.

Eight others — the Chevrolet Equinox, Ford Escape, GMC Terrain, Hyundai Tucson, Jeep Compass, Jeep Renegade, Kia Sportage and Lincoln Corsair — earn marginal ratings. Two more, the Honda HR-V and Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross, receive poor ratings.

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/small-suvs-struggle-in-new-…

Note that Harkey praises the CX-5 for doing well in the new tests. Eventually all small CUVs will do well in the tests. This is the situation that IIHS defined as a problem when justifying the test revision, so, when small CUVs do well, they will make the tests even harder, to make smaller CUVs look problematic again.

The high safety rating of the Impreza was a key factor in my purchase decision.

The article I posted noted that the one passenger car tested, that did well, was the Subaru Outback. The article also notes that, while the Outback has a conventional station wagon body, it is jacked up so high on it’s suspension that it has the ride height of an SUV, so the floorpan takes the impact, rather than the B pillar.

A couple weeks ago, I was at the local VW dealer. There is an Audi store next door, so I mosied over to look at the A4 Allroad station wagon they just received. The Allroad is an Outback wannabe, but it isn’t jacked up as high as the Outback. I couldn’t help but notice how large the door sill was, no doubt to provide the strength to meet the crash tests, and how awkward it was to step over that sill. The VW Tiguan and Taos have a much smaller door sill, much easier to step over, because they have a higher ride height, hence a higher floorpan where the test sled will hit, so they don’t need so much extra reinforcement.

Why compare them since people who want one won’t be interested in buying the other?

I would suggest that consumer choice takes a back seat to money: money from insurance claims not paid, money booked by automakers from selling bigger SUVs, money for the oil industry from selling fuel for SUVs that struggle to get 28 miles on a gallon of gas.

Remember the 2006 fuel mileage “reform”, which completely changed how mpg standards are set? This is what VW, which had no competitive SUVs in it’s line until recently, said.

"Volkswagen does not endorse the proposal under discussion. It places an unfairly high burden on passenger cars, while allowing special compliance flexibility for heavier light trucks. Passenger cars would be required to achieve 5% annual improvements, and light trucks 3.5% annual improvements. The largest trucks carry almost no burden for the 2017–2020 timeframe, and are granted numerous ways to mathematically meet targets in the outlying years without significant real-world gains. The proposal encourages manufacturers and customers to shift toward larger, less efficient vehicles, defeating the goal of reduced greenhouse gas emissions."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_average_fuel_economy…

As with the IIHS test, the CAFE standard is also skewed to favor large SUVs over passenger cars. I read the 2006 reg when it came out, and it explicitly said it was designed the way it was to discourage the production of smaller passenger cares, because they are “less safe”.

Steve

12 Likes

Here’s a quick illustration of the symbiotic relationship between “reformed” CAFE standards, “reformed” crash tests, “reformed” vehicle financing standards, Fed rate suppression, automaker aspirations and oil industry aspirations.

Average transaction price (ATP) in the US is around $45,000. Ford is nudging $50,000.

Let’s pick on the most popular vehicle in the US, the Ford F-150, in Lariat trim, base sticker $50,895.

Ford will finance that truck for 84 months, at 4.9%APR. With $5,000 down, the monthly payments, according to the payment calculator on Ford’s corporate site are $645.00

In 1999, the usual car finance term was 48 months, and the average interest rate was 8.44%.

Financing that same F-150, at 1999 terms, with $5K down, the monthly payment would be $1,127.

Automakers are discontinuing their smaller, lower priced, models, complaining “people don’t wanna itty, bitty, car”. If people had to make the payments today, on the same terms as in 1999, they would be running away from the industry’s $50,000 circus wagons as fast as their feet could take them.

I can’t help but wonder why house financing has not been visited by the same symbiotic “reforms”. People are crying a river about house “affordability”, but everyone seems to still be locked into the 30 year mortgage that we saw generations ago. How can the GSE’s resist the pressure from pols to endorse 60 year mortgages? If the GSEs did endorse 60 year mortgages, we would probably see the same thing that has happened with cars. Builders would still not build “affordable” housing. Companies like Pulte would say “hey, instead of 3000sqft McMansions, our target customers can now afford 6,000sqft McMansions, so that is what we are going to build”.

Steve

3 Likes

And people - voting with their dollars - seem to like the space also.

Even demographics that we were told wanted everything compact.

no - they are growing up and they love them too.

As do many of America’s fastest growing demographics.

I’ve seen it firsthand.

Overhwelmingly, the passenger cars involved are right side up, while SUVs are often on their roof, due to their high CG, due to their high ride height, that the IIHS tailors it’s tests to call “more safe”.

==============================================

The same is true for pickup trucks with their high CG.

Jaak

And people - voting with their dollars - seem to like the space also.

A lot of people wanted a big Cadillac 50 years ago too, but they couldn’t pay for them, given the 36 month financing at free market interest rates that were the norm then.

Now that a person can get into debt for 7 years on a single car, and with the Fed suppressing interest rates, many more people can afford to compensate for their anxiety over their physical shortcomings.

With the financing thumb on the scale, and the assistance of skewed CAFE and crash testing doctrines, automakers can say “see, nobody wanna itty bitty car”, and discontinue them, reducing consumer choice.

As I said, the relationship is symbiotic.

Steve

1 Like

Agreed - but, in a free society - do consumers choose their product and finance terms? Or is an agency forcing them?

On any given day - there’s someone driving a 10 year old beater, and next to him on the road, someone with an 84 month car payment. Both - made their choice, both - had the same agencies, governments, advertising, merchants, and culture surrounding them.

America’s fastest growing demographics - like their big vehicles

1 Like

Now that a person can get into debt for 7 years on a single car, and with the Fed suppressing interest rates, many more people can afford to compensate for their anxiety over their physical shortcomings.

I’ve never financed a car for more than 5 years…and have paid cash for the last 3 or 4 cars I’ve bought. Most have been kept for ~10 years.

But the trend from 3 year financing to 5 and 7 years is partially justified by the higher quality and longer lasting cars being made, safer and cleaner cars.

Mike

2 Likes

But the trend from 3 year financing to 5 and 7 years is partially justified by the higher quality and longer lasting cars being made, safer and cleaner cars.

But the long financing period isn’t the only issue. The other issue is that car dealers/financiers are often rolling some of the old debt into the new loan when they replace their vehicle before the 5 to 7 years has ended.