I'm Disappointed in the Herd Mentality

Most of this board was extremely late to invest in Fastly… because Saul hadn’t bought any yet. Then after a bad quarter during a pandemic Saul changed his mind (which I respect) and everyone followed him to the exits.

I read nearly everything on this board and I have difficulty seeing what justifies this conclusion.
There has been much detailed discussion about FSLY starting back in March or so (when I made my first purchase). There have been deep technical discussions pro and con including detailed tutorials on the various forms of edge computing as well as comparative analyses of NET vs FSLY vs other CDN systems.

This have been supplemented by discussions and references to some of the best available technical exegesis namely articles by Poffringa and by muji and learned dissertations by Smorgasbord. I’m sure all those interested in FSLY followed those carefully even if like myself they may have been unable to understand all the details.

There have also been a whole class of posts by individuals documenting their logic and parsing their personal analysis of the situation. Again the discussion has seen as many pros as cons. This does not imply to me that people generally were “slavishly” following Saul’s specific advice, which by the way I weigh heavily in my decisions for two reasons. He is clear and logical and he is mostly right.

I would not denigrate the investment decisions and execution thereof
of anyone here who for reasons of their own prefer to move at their own deliberate pace. In fact that is probably an individuals wisest course.

I fall in the slow mover camp. I bought FSLY early and added steadily over time interrupted by several reappraisals as info became available regarding NET and FSLY. Given the uncertainty hanging over both of these companies and CDN as well, an investor might be forgiven for being uncertain.

As mentioned I bought FSLY early and added slowly leaving me with an average cost in the mid 60s.
I sold when the CEO began to dither about a poorer earnings picture. Since I’m not set up to trade . in the aftermarket as I suspect most here are not it wasn’t possible to avoid most of the 40% drop that Austen mentions. Remember the first 30% drop was in the evening immediately after the announcement. So why castigate investors here for doing their best in a difficult situation. Totally uncalled for in my view.

As for those who took their time formulating conclusions and decisions, I say more power to them. We all have to learn.

cheers

arnie

36 Likes

In a way, I’m surprised that TMF hasn’t figured out how to pull the plug here, because, again IMO, this board alone is superior to anything that SA/RB/etc. offers. Why subscribe to inferior offerings when we have the tools here to grow our investing consciousness as a community.

Whether or not TMF is is inferior to anything is anyone’s privilege to opine on. I would like to point out that most if not all of the spectacular investment opportunities discussed on this board came from one of the TMF services. In fact I think I found them there first.

There is no secret made of the fact that while many TMF recs are great 40% or so are, relatively speaking , duds. Well which are which ,and what can you do about it, and how do you go about doing it?
I have spent a lifetime trying to answer those questions. My answers were OK but much inferior to answers available here. And what is wrong about that? To my way of thinking all the board discussions amplify the benefit of the basic and essential information provided by TMF. So despite whatever flaws it may have I plan to stick with it. And I suspect TMF at large derives considerable benefit as a result of the diversity and depth of discussion these boards provide.

cheers

arnie

9 Likes

I’m making a bull case for independent thinking and doing your own analysis vs blindly following the herd.

I have another way of putting it: Do you want fish to eat today, or do you want to learn how to fish forever?

You’re not going to learn to fish just by copying what a fisherman tells you he’s done. You need to understand the why and the thinking process. And at some point that fisherman is going to have different goals than you, especially if you’re young.

6 Likes

I have another way of putting it: Do you want fish to eat today, or do you want to learn how to fish forever?

Fortunately, Saul lets you do both by graciously sharing what he’s eating between trips to the fishing hole.

So, you can literally have your fish and eat it too! <BA DUM TISS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI&ab_channel=J…)

9 Likes

I know this post will catch some flak, but It’s a bit discourage to see the lack of independent thinking here.
If you sold before the 40% drop, great job. But if you sold after, then you might want to reconsider whether you are an investor or a trend/herd follower.

I feel quite strongly about this thread as someone who is newer to investing, spends a lot of time doing my own analysis, has always thought critically & independently by nature, constantly evaluates my thesis/conviction in a company, and tries to understand the rationale behind every decision I make.

I agree with the sentiment of trying to encourage people to think independently and to build their own conviction. And I don’t think blind copying is a sensible strategy.
But I don’t agree that there has been a lack of independent thinking on this board with regard to Fastly. You only need to read many of the posts from last week to see that.

I don’t think it is a binary conclusion either, that because you sold after a 40% drop you are either an investor or a herd follower, the implication being the latter. This seems dismissive of the many arguments and thoughts posted on this board.

Saul’s board, in my opinion, is fundamentally different from other platforms in that it encourages discussion and people to engage. Of course there is an element of ‘group think’ but that is the same with any platform, to be expected and not new to last week. There is more independent thinking on this board than I have found on any other platform. People can learn, but is it really surprising that if someone as experienced as Saul changes their mind, people place importance in that and it factors into their decisions. I don’t think there’s necessarily anything wrong with that.

Not everyone has an investing education, or much experience, and everyone can learn at their own pace. This board helps that learning curve massively. I’m sorry but I don’t think labelling people who sold Fastly after a 40% drop as ‘herd followers’ is encouraging. Everyone has their own goals, their own experience, and can make their own decisions. It’s not a competition :slight_smile:

22 Likes

There is no secret made of the fact that while many TMF recs are great 40% or so are, relatively speaking , duds. Well which are which ,and what can you do about it, and how do you go about doing it?

Know any big leaguer with a 600 batting average?

I have spent a lifetime trying to answer those questions. My answers were OK but much inferior to answers available here.

The duds are inevitable. The secret is to get rid of them. Don’t wait to get even. This is the reason I give good marks to Saul for selling FSLY even if I have decided to hold.

Denny Schlesinger

26 Likes

Ken Pomeroy established a free blog some 20 years ago with innovative and compelling NCAA basketball stats that revolutionized the game, made careers for early adopters like Brad Stevens, forced old dogs unwilling to evolve out of coaching, and he offered the service to all for free until a few years ago when he finally succumbed to incredulous professionals and began to charge the paltry subscription fee of $20 per year.

Stumbling onto Saul’s Discussion Board has always reminded me of kenpom.com as well as a few other magnanimous mentors i have met along the way.

I think of it as the anti greed way to happiness and wealth.

Some goodly souls are imbued or inculcated with a stronger sense of serving as many people as possible than they are maximizing their income. They feel gratitude for the approbation and whatever remuneration comes their. Usually, the substantial and sometimes superior monetary rewards follow one way or the other.

12 Likes

Austin,

I respect your contributions to the board. But I think you are way off on this one.

You claim “everyone” followed Saul to the exits. But have no data to back this up. Lots of people are still holding Fastly and have made clear why they are still holding. Muji, AThinkingFool, Smorgasbord I believe are all still holding. And clearly the high number of recs your post got suggests many are in fact still holding.

You suggest now there’s signs of a herd mentality, again, with zero data. There were no signs of people following Saul’s - and other’s - picks prior to this? Really? Saul and the “elders” of this board have put up astonishing numbers. If people want to blindly follow those investors, this is a reasonable strategy. One might even say it’s a “Rule Breaking” strategy. Are you really going to impugn the intellectual rigor of people putting up 50, 60, 80, 100% gains merely because they blindly copied Saul?

I respect Saul’s saying not to do this, but I sure as heck am not gonna lecture anyone who has done this. I personally work VERY hard to bring my own flavor to the gumbo but let’s keep it real - the primary driver of the most incredible year I’m likely to ever have as an investor - was made by following this magnificent herd. Also, what about people who are too busy to do the work? My thinking was entirely independent on Nutanix and Arista and in all seriousness, I almost wiped out an entire account put aside for my daughter. Crowdstrike, bless their name, tripled for me in that one and it’s still not back to where it was.

You claim most of the board was “extremely late” - what does this even mean? I thought we’re in the early innings of edge networks and the switch to the cloud. You’re scolding folks for discovering a pick - in the place they come to discover picks? I think you’ve said Fastly can be a 250B stock. It’s “extremely late” to get in around 10 billion?

You fail to present the case for selling. This is critical to your argument. If there is a strong case to be made - decelerating growth rates, questions about the reason usage has declined, management raising guidance despite having limited visibility into revenue, a weak press release, large insider sales, etc. - than this refutes your argument entirely.

Your argument implies people sold merely because Saul sold, not because they agree with the logic of the call. What data did you use to differentiate between the thoughtful sellers and mindless herd followers? Do you have a spreadsheet ranking the rationale from each post?

This board has a clearly-stated methodology that virtually guarantees many people will draw the same conclusions. GauchoChris has written eloquently about times he’s reached the same conclusions as Saul, after studying the method. If this was a value investing board and all decided a stock like Zoom was too pricey, after running up 600%, many folks would sell. Your critique is like scolding fighters at a dojo for learning the style taught by the sensei. All that matters, really, is if the method works.

For the moment, exiting Fastly before earnings was not only logical, and in accordance with the board’s methodology - but it was the right call. So you’re not only scolding people for lacking independent thought, your scolding people who, as of this writing, made the right call! My thoughts are if the ER goes well there will be plenty of time to get back in. If not, I didn’t want to ride down to the 60’s or worse. Did I sell because Saul sold or because I agreed with his logic behind making the sale? Even I’m not certain I can answer that. I’d have to enter a multiverse and see what I would have done if Saul held.

Lastly, your post also fails to mention that we are blessed with an abundance of exceptional stocks to choose from, meaning swapping, say, a Fastly for Peloton/Docusign etc., etc. is entirely reasonable. So this is another reason more investors than usual might exit a pick and not be merely guilty of blindly following the herd. At the moment I have zero doubts about PTON/DOCU dominance.

Bottom line - message boards work best when we stick to strictly analyzing the logic and facts of each call and refrain from questioning unverifiable things, like the rationale or motives behind other investors’ picks or posts. And refrain from lecturing others on the same points the Fool at large makes 100s of times a day. For example, I suspect you are irritated by the fact that Fastly has tanked from 120’s to the 70’s.But I would never say this because 1) no one cares and 2) I can’t possibly know how you feel. I only know this - you invest for a living- and many of us do not. So to lecture others about not living up to your standards of indy thought is bad form.

This board can only work if we stick to analyzing specific companies and the specific data points behind the bull/bear cases. And hold off on grand lectures, scoldings and philosophical musings.

I would have loved to ignore this most unfortunate post, and I’m sure we’re gonna get an ALL CAPS whomping any second from Il Padrino, but if I’m looking for someone to express disappointment I have no shortage of family members, and a devoted spouse of 30 years, I can turn to.

Ultimately there are two kinds of posts here - ones that make Saul MORE likely to enjoy sharing his incredible wisdom and ones that make him more likely to shut it down. Sadly yours - and no doubt now mine - fall into the latter category.

Fool On,

Broadway Dan

137 Likes

Saul and the “elders” of this board have put up astonishing numbers. If people want to blindly follow those investors, this is a reasonable strategy. One might even say it’s a “Rule Breaking” strategy. Are you really going to impugn the intellectual rigor of people putting up 50, 60, 80, 100% gains merely because they blindly copied Saul?

I won’t “impugn” the intellectual rigor of anyone but I will say following one specific person or even following the herd might not be the wisest move for everyone. Some of the reasons why not to follow others blindly is highlighted in a recent Fool article titled 3 Reasons You Shouldn’t Invest Like Warren Buffett by James Brumley (TMFjbrumley), Fool.com:

You’ve got challenges, goals, and financial situations the Oracle of Omaha doesn’t.

The premise makes enough sense. By doing things the same way legendary investor Warren Buffett does them, you should be able to (more or less) mirror his results.

Chasing the Oracle of Omaha’s coattails isn’t necessarily a great strategy for all investors, though. His goals and reasons for stepping into a particular position may or may not align with yours. In fact, they probably won’t. Here are the three biggest reasons you’ll want to think twice before following in Buffett’s stock-picking footsteps.

Read More: https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/10/24/3-reasons-you-shou…

I have always believed it can be extremely bad policy to follow others blindly for 2 main reasons:

1. No two people have the same goals, financial resources, or risk tolerance. Hypothetically, if one or two of Saul’s positions blew up over night and his total portfolio lost 30%, 40% or 50%, well maybe Saul could withstand such a loss but someone with less financial reserves might wind up losing far too much, which is why I firmly believe people should tailor their portfolio to their own financial position and risk tolerance and not anyone else’s because that often leads to disappointment. I learned those hard lessons by watching so many Fool subscribers too closely following others in the recession around 2009. A lot of the Fool analysts took a beating around then for some of the stocks recommended that got blown up and there was screeching and gnashing of teeth a lot of blame towards others “Making a mistake” recommending certain stocks and the Fool Paid service lost a lot of members. To which I always have the same answer when I see people complaining about recommendations from other people which is people should take responsibility for their own choices and not blindly follow anyone. If a portfolio position blows up then people should take the responsibility for making that decision.

A even bigger lesson was learned when the 2009 recession was followed up very quickly by the Great Chinese Small Cap debacle which was led by the now defunct Global Gains and increasingly strident Fool subscribers, who at one point only seemed to want Chinese Small Caps recommended each month in the face of increasing signs massive fraud was taking place in China. Some of the most respected Fool members, many of whom are still around but shall remain nameless led a wildly stampeding herd that had some people having and advocating a portfolio of 100% Chinese smallcap stocks, which is probably as far as one can go out on the risk scale, possibly exceeding the biotech sector and some of the people considered the smartest investors on the Fool were advocating these investments hard. I even invested in Chinese small caps and advocated them but I quickly turned around after a few of my holdings were up like around 500% within 6 months and I increasingly began believing the whole sector was ripe for fraud. I quickly reversed course and sold them before the days of reckoning. I also believe some of the smarter Fools sold them too and came out pretty well…but the followers that came in late? The ones who were attracted by tales of easy riches and low risk or the ones that had a 100% non-diversified Chinese small cap portfolio on the days of reckoning??? Well, they got blown out of the water for simply being a follower and not engaging the critical thinking switch…and some of those fools (as opposed to Fools) are no longer around the Fool today either as paid Fool subscribers or on the Free boards…either that or they changed their screen name due to embarrassment but some of the most prolific people in that Chinese Smallcap herd are now gone. From thereafter, I maintained a resolve to “NEVER FOLLOW THE HERD !!!” Which is why I only read this board lightly. I come here to see the latest ideas but I don’t live on this board all day because I don’t want group think to form or to start thinking too much like other people. I take from multiple disciplines and sources and do not focus on one source exclusively and then I form my own strategy to fit my own situation.

1. The main object, I believe, when Tom and David started the Fool was “To teach others how to fish”. I believe that people that simply copy and paste other people’s portfolios and don’t make efforts to learn, do themselves a great disservice by never learning how to invest for themselves.

I believe Saul legitimately also wants to teach others how to fish too because unless Saul is immortal, there will eventually be a day when he is not around. Also, Saul is under no obligation to update his holdings.

Eventually people that copy and paste portfolios from other people will eventually find that either those people will at some point not be around and/or because of life circumstances the guru might change their investing style creating a big mismatch between investing goals.

So, I hope the copy and pasters are actually learning more about investing than just simply copying and pasting because a day might come when it is no longer possible to copy and paste from one’s favorite guru.

STarrob

28 Likes

Ok that’s 30 posts on this thread. Let’s move on, please.

Bear
Assistant board manager

13 Likes

Know any big leaguer with a 600 batting average

Would you hire a doctor with a .600 average? How about an airline pilot?

Did you graduate with honors with a “60” average?

Congrats!

🆁🅶🅱
post tenebras lux
For not in my bow do I trust, nor can my sword save me.

2 Likes

Would you hire a doctor with a .600 average? How about an airline pilot?

Did you graduate with honors with a “60” average?

Congrats!

Are you comparing apples to apples or apples to zebras?

You missed Moon Missions! :innocent:

Denny Schlesinger

4 Likes