It's not nice to fool Mother Nature

My inlaws, where we spent the weekend just disposed many rentals he’d owned in Houston for decades, but one of the first things he did when he took them over and saw the high plumbing bills was to go through all the units and remove every disposal. Plumber’s Friend is what they are and easily mistreated. That expense dropped immediately…

The eggshells surprised us one year. A rental home up the coast at Sea Ranch, CA, Big breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, so lots of egg shells. They are heavy, dense, even broken up their sharp edges grabbed the trap and totally blocked it up. We had no tools, so had to call the management agency, the plumber they sent made a point of showing up the results, lesson learned for all of us… SIL was the culprit, but I’d done it myself, too… No more…

1 Like

You have to be careful about what you flush down the toilet too.

We needed a new system in our last place (past its prime not homeowner abuse) and the company owner was telling me that with one local system that needed attention but not replacement, among the stuff that shouldn’t see the inside of a septic tank, there was a ladies’ thong. Which didn’t belong to the woman of the house. I asked if there was an innocent explanation…not one the husband could come up with quickly enough, it seems as he got kicked out of the house before the job was completed.

2 Likes

Now I want one of these. Yet another kitchen appliance.

LOL. At least it can be stored in the basement rather than the kitchen, coming upstairs a few times a year. Hangs out with my canner and my seafood steamer.

Better than remodeling your kitchen to put in a second oven…anyway you look at that!

2 Likes

I have this in my garage. Bought it online with a huge discount, but never used because my wife won’t allow it.

1 Like

Hey @MarkR - why don’t you sell it to @zippy42 !! He/She wants one!! :+1:t2:

'38Packard

2 Likes

Nope. Not a roaster.

IP

1 Like

On Monday coming back from the Cambridge MA area on I90 I stopped for some lunch near Sturbridge, where the I84 CT entrance is. Went back to my car and it would not start. No mechanic was open. I was towed back to the Hartford area by AAA. The MA AAA and the CT AAA bill separately. I am now waiting to be reimbursed $566 by CT AAA.

I fixed the car’s starter relay. It ran. Got in the car later that day to head to Starbucks, the starter would not work. I got some sort of crank noises and nada.

At 5 am Tuesday I called for another tow. I got to the mechanic for just before 7 am as they were opening. They took me without an appointment. The job was 2.8 hours.

The mechanic took an extra 1.5 hours. I was canceling appointments and messed up the day entirely. As if things were not bad enough. New starter and 2.8 hours, poor mechanic’s shop, was $552.

My vacation was excellent but I came home to a pita.

1 Like

Argh car problems are a bummer. Hope it is all sorted out for you by noe.

2 Likes

If the starter is spinning but not engaging sometimes you can get it to work by hitting the solenoid with a hammer. Doesn’t fix the problem, but at least you can start the car.

1 Like

He, he, he. Man, that brings back memories. As a kid with my buddies '55 Chevy. Sweet ride except for the starter issue.

3 Likes

I used to have a Fiat 124 Spyder. No car can ever hurt me again.

1 Like

Sorry to hear of your car problems. You should have called me. I could have picked you up and we could have talked about investments on the way to Hartford. I would not have charged you $566. Maybe just half that :wink:

'38Packard

2 Likes

The tow truck driver told me the charge was doubled because he had to go back to Sturbridge. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks though

I will get reimbursed. MA is a different AAA service. I think that goes back to what was going on ten years ago with AAA. They put in a national call center in Ohio. Then the guys in Ohio looked at CT and MA thinking everything was really close together. The logistics for the drivers was hellish. Be in one place called way over to another and then the other calls for the place of origin would come in…ouch…

2 Likes

The solenoid is really a starter relay. There are two starter relays and a coil relay in the fuse box at the top of the engine compartment above the battery area. I replaced R5 for $8. Then the starter went…why? Dont ask why no one knows.

1 Like

A friend and I once jury rigged the carburetor in his spyder with a piece of grass/straw that we scrounged nearby!!!

2 Likes