Looking for the state of Mechanical Investing

I am hoping to return in the next couple of months to the world of investing and the Fool after being away for 15+ years. I seem to recall being interested in Mechanical Investing in the distant past. Is there a recent guide to this topic somewhere?

1 Like

You can also try the shrewdm.com board where there are some good discussions going on. It is very much like the old Fool boards.

1 Like

This depends on what your investing goals are. Right now, you can earn 5% annually safely on your cash in a CD or money market fund. Schwab money funds will pay you the interest payments monthly, so you don’t need to wait a year for the cash.

And the S&P 500 has returned 12.7% annualized over the past 10 years. At that rate, your money would be doubling every 6 years. The index is very difficult to beat.

Which begs the question - why are you interested in MI? Why not allocate your savings to an index fund plus money market fund?

Looking through the dozens of SI Pro screens discovered over the years, only 9 of them have beaten the index over the past 10 years, and only 4 are beating it YTD. See my Curated Screens message that I posted here a few days ago.

2 Likes