Market turbulence

I guess we are all a group of seasoned pros here.
None of the people that have been around this board for a while seemed to make much of anything that has been going on in the market this year.
That’s why I was kind of surprised to see this news headline from John Bogle.

https://www.marketwatch.com/Story/bogle-says-hes-never-seen-…

6 Likes

Bogle on stock turbulence: ‘never seen a market this volatile to this extent in my career

With all respect to Mr. Bogle’s legacy, I’m not sure what the hell he is talking about here.

1987, 1990 invasion of Kuwait, 1998 LTCM/Asia, and 2008 all brought more fireworks
than what we have been seeing in markets over the last month or so.

I think the problem is that we have all been lulled into a peaceful coma over the last 18
months thanks to the unprecedentedly low volatility and one directional move higher in
global stock markets - winter in Minnesota probably feels a lot colder to the guy that just
moved there from Hawaii, than it does to the guy who has been living there all his life.

13 Likes

I think the problem is that we have all been lulled into a peaceful coma over the last 18
months thanks to the unprecedentedly low volatility and one directional move higher in
global stock markets - winter in Minnesota probably feels a lot colder to the guy that just
moved there from Hawaii, than it does to the guy who has been living there all his life.

C’mon…your analysis couldn’t be more incorrect. Really - almost shameful.

No one moves from Hawaii to Minnesota.

:slight_smile:
-Dreamer

25 Likes

I wasn’t in the market in until mid 1990s. I get what Bogle is saying but I saw similar turbulence in 1999. There were days when I made or lost more money in a day than I had ever earned in a year! I’m not exaggerating!

What I find different now compared to 1999 is that the current turbulence is politically induced while in 1999 it was bubble induced. I think there is less risk now than in 1999 even if investors are skittish. I believe that in the end pragmatism will win out over posturing. It is an interesting game to watch! :wink:

Denny Schlesinger

12 Likes

in the end pragmatism will win out over posturing. maybe both are needed but in the end it must have been the latter that created a real estate empire.

I know quite a few people that specialize in posturing, bluster , ego expansion, and ideological based rigidity but none of them are rich. Or ever likely to become so unless maybe they enter politics.

Ya guys
I agree
2008 was wild!

“No one moves from Hawaii to Minnesota.”

Maybe not, but you might be surprised at the number of immigrants from hot-climate countries. A lot of refugees, but not all of them. A fair number of reggae bands in the Twin Cities, with some actual Jamaicans in some of them.

There were days when I made or lost more money in a day than I had ever earned in a year! I’m not exaggerating!

Shoot, Denny, I’m close to that now and 2-3 times a week. I’m not exaggerating either! Another week or 2 of this and I’ll be putting my bilge pumps to the ultimate test.

Dan