Mercedes is charging $1,200 a year for faster acceleration

Mercedes is the latest manufacturer to lock auto features behind a subscription fee, with an upcoming “Acceleration Increase” add-on that lets drivers pay to access motor performance their vehicle is already capable of.

The $1,200 yearly subscription improves performance by boosting output from the motors by 20–24 percent, increasing torque, and shaving around 0.8 to 0.9 seconds off 0–60 mph acceleration when in Dynamic drive mode (via The Drive). The subscription doesn’t come with any physical hardware upgrades — instead, it simply unlocks the full capabilities of the vehicle, indicating that Mercedes intentionally limited performance to later sell as an optional extra. Acceleration Increase is only available for the Mercedes-EQ EQE and Mercedes-EQ EQS electric car models.

1 Like

For $2k each… single payments … I could unlock more acceleration on our Teslas (3&Y), but it doesn’t seem to be necessary. Without any intention, our cars leave most folks far behind us and I have no interest in racing some nitwit who thinks it’s important to beat me. Go for it guy… doesn’t matter. :slight_smile:

Rob
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

2 Likes

I watched Season 3 of “Deadwind” on Netflix last night. Nurmi, the male cop, finally got a new car to replace his old beater with the door which his partner, Sophia, could never open.

Nurmi’s new car? The Porsche Taycan.

I don’t know who was central in product placing the Porsche Taycan into this season, but I will say, the sharp imagery, loving sweeps of the interior of the car, and of course a dozen or more starts to 60 in just 3 seconds are the non-Madison Ave ways of pushing this new car into the minds of consumers. The car is so quiet, Porsche added sound effects so that bicyclists, pedestrians, runners, etc., will hear the car approaching from the front or rear.

The recorded car motor, which rises and falls with your acceleration, is akin to a tuned F1 race car. Very sweet. And to watch the two main protagonists of this dark cop show from Finland jump into this car and take off at high speeds is a joy to watch without any pumps about the speed or descriptions of features. The car becomes a character. No one fawns over it. There are no fanbois anywhere incessantly hypeing it. This futuristic car is so well made and put together with such painstaking skill that the car exists on film as a prop as unmovable as the Rock of Gibraltar.

The Porsche Taycan in “Deadwood” is perfectly placed. People will see the distinctive shape, the sound, the speed, that logo, the tight fit all way around of doors and panels. Beautifully parked outside of old dilipidated buildings inside Finland during this crime drama and the car stands out even more. Viewers will know, “This ain’t Nurmi’s old car, for sure.”

One more thing about the Taycan: the tailights. The trunk trim and lighting is something from the early sci/fi film “Tron.” Lit up at night, it’s like a futuristic spacecraft approaching or dopllering out of the frame.

I don’t aspire to anything these days when it comes to material goods. But, this is a car I want to ride in, just once:

Porshce Taycan Turbo

2 Likes

Rob, also, on Twitter, the big rumor pushed this weekend is Apple $AAPL is going to buy out $TSLA.

I don’t see that happening, but, the fanbois are pusing stock buybacks and Apple buyout on Twitter this weekend as a way to save marriages, portfolios, etc.

AAPL buying TSLA seems unlikely… LOL.

But I wouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth… if AAPL wants to pay a premium for my TSLA shares, I’m happy to sell those to them and I’ll go fishing elsewhere.

Rob
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.