Mitch Zack's thoughts

Zacks has told me that I can post a large part of one of Mitch Zacks’ wonderfully common-sense newsletters on our board as long as I only do it occasionally and give him full credit, and include a link to them. It’s been a long time since the last time I posted one, and so here’s the latest. And he works for Zacks Investment Management. To find out more about them, use this link:

http://www.zacksim.com

I’m not italicizing because it’s hard to read a long post in italics, but everything after this is from Mitch.

Saul

When you’re positioning your investment portfolios for the next six to twelve months, take my advice: don’t forget about America’s strength!

To be sure, we’re not talking mid-1990’s blustering growth here. The job market is good, but wages have been stubbornly moving sideways and GDP growth has been below long-term averages for the better part of this expansion cycle. Additionally, we’re 89 months into this bull market—making it the 2nd longest bull since 1926 (the longest being the 1990’s bull that lasted 115 months). In terms of magnitude, the current bull is the 3rd largest, behind the early 80’s bull that returned 229% and the 90’s bull that soared 417%.

With rising uncertainty in Europe and global growth seemingly running out of steam, something’s got to give, right?

Not So Fast. A bull market does not have to die of old age, and the market knows no calendar. I could list off several macro factors that support more U.S. growth from here, such as low interest rates, contained inflation, high and rising leading economic indicators (LEIs), and an upward sloping yield curve. But I won’t bore you with all of that. Instead, I’ll look at America’s relative strength through the lens of the Brexit effect, which I believe strengthens the case for stocks over the next 6-12 months. Here are 4 reasons why:

1 Minimal Trade Impact — the U.S. only exported around $56 billion to the UK in 2015, and imported around $57 billion. That represents less than 5% of total trade. Also, remember that the Brexit does not mean our trade relationship with Britain or the EU is somehow put on hold or needs to be altered. If anything, we may be able to negotiate even more favorable trade terms with Britain once they’re autonomous. We have been working with the EU on a trade deal (TTIP) for years now to no avail. With Britain leaving, getting a deal done with the EU could be a bit more difficult, and I see that as a potential setback. But, that just means things remain as they are today, which is nothing to sweat about.

2 Interest Rates: Lower for Longer — the Fed has steadily backed away from raising rates on growth and job concerns but, with the Brexit now a reality, it seems highly unlikely they will engage in a rate hike anytime soon. This could mean it’s 2017 before we see another quarter point bump. With this in mind, not only will financing remain cheap, but stocks will continue to look very attractive relative to fixed income. For the first time in a long time, many yield seekers will choose stocks over bonds, and that should support prices.

3 Sentiment Supports Surprises — uncertainties created by the Brexit, China’s growth, and negative earnings have soured investor sentiment. Pessimism can often lead to more volatile markets, but it also means many investors will underappreciate positive fundamentals and focus on the negative. Under-appreciated positives means a higher likelihood of an upside surprise, which is effectively how the “wall of worry” gets climbed time and time again.

4 Earnings Rebound — much has been made of the fact that S&P 500 companies have posted 5 consecutive quarters of negative earnings growth, but that line alone makes it seem as though everyone is suffering. That’s not the case at all, as Energy and resource-sensitive companies have disproportionately contributed to the declines. Regardless, higher crude prices and seasonality should boost earnings in the back half of the year.

Bottom Line for Investors
There’s one key point not mentioned above that could make the path forward for equities a rocky one, and that’s the election. While we focus on policy as it is written, and whether we think it will affect earnings and property rights, what we’re seeing in Europe and the U.S. is a growing, vocal discontent with the political establishment. Should trade be compromised due to policy and regime shifts, the market may respond adversely. We’re too far away from any real policy moment to comment on this now, and the market won’t likely start pricing-in those possibilities until much later. For now, I believe we still have a base case for equity price support with stocks as the most attractive asset class. Stay steady.

Mitch

26 Likes

Interesting views and COOL Address…
http://www.onesouthwacker.net/
Ant

1 Like

Well put. For me the greatest surprise was the very mild reaction of the European stock market. The slight dip from the Brexit news recovered just as quickly as the S&P did: https://www.stoxx.com/index-details?symbol=SXXP

And the recent news about the trouble with Italian banks didn’t even make a dent. Monsieur European Market seems to be really sure of himself.

One of my best friends is Mitch’s COO at Zack’s.
Pretty cool stuff.

Monsieur European Market seems to be really sure of himself.
Maybe but I wouldn’t take that as a signal of their economic prowess. They haven’t even cracked efficient agriculture let alone outperforming industrialization. Their unemployment, bureaucracy, corruption and inefficiency are endemic. Subsidised quality of life - yeh pretty good.

Of the Western markets, the US market is the only market where confidence is able to match the industrial and economic reality. Europe isn’t going to create the next Google you can be sure of that.

Ant

7 Likes

I don’t really care to discuss politics here.

My point is, that the news of the largest financial hub (London) leaving the common (open) market area of Europe should have caused much more panic in theory. It didn’t. It seems like the market does not really believe that London is going to leave the economic union with the rest of the continent.

Of the Western markets, the US market is the only market where confidence is able to match the industrial and economic reality. Europe isn’t going to create the next Google you can be sure of that.

Ant

Or the next AMZN, FB, SABR, PCLN… It takes the right to fail to get there.

But, there is a saying: “Eagles don’t flock, you have to catch them one by one.” The same is true for outperforming the market, you have to find and catch the eagle stocks. Of my dozen stocks one is British (ARMH), one is Danish (NVO), and a third is Dutch (CLB). The rest are US. I didn’t pick them for their location but for their eagle like performance based on their business model. Brexit or no Brexit, we still need electronic gadgetry (ARMH), a cure for diabetes (NVO), and to pump oil cheaply (CLB).

Denny Schlesinger

5 Likes

My point is, that the news of the largest financial hub (London) leaving…

Not news!

“My point is, that the speculation of the largest financial hub (London) leaving…”

How often have experts been wrong? It’s a Chicken Little story!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henny_Penny

Denny Schlesinger

2 Likes

How often have experts been wrong? It’s a Chicken Little story!

I wasn’t trying to contradict the market’s expectation. I just expressed my surprise about the market (of all entities) seemingly learning from the Chicken Little story and not panicking.

3 Likes

It is not clear that Mitch has wonderful common sense.

America is not strong. However, its status as the world’s reserve currency makes it the least dirty shirt in the laundry. Months ago I picked it out to wear, long dollar short yen; long dollar short euro. That does not mean I regard the $ as strong, but the least weak. The same applies to equities. Guess where the world is investing: there is a reason for the extraordinary valuation of consumer staples. And of course the valuation of the market indicates, ah, caution.

Mitch’s points:

1. Minimal trade impact. We agree: Brexit is not especially consequential in itself to the US. So why look through that lens?

2. Interest rates. This is a rehash of the TINA argument; dangerous in terms of valuation.

3. The convoluted logic here is beyond me!

4. Negative earnings growth is not good however you dress it up. Nor are earnings ‘improved’ by buybacks at expensive prices, acquisitions at expensive prices, precautionary cost-cutting and so on.

I would just mention that I hope we are aware where the main risk currently lies, one to which even the likelihood of Eurexodus is subservient. That is the extraordinarily dangerous situation in the South China Sea. People in America are not talking much about this, but I bet they are in the White House and the Pentagon.

7 Likes

It is not clear that Mitch has wonderful common sense.

Interesting counterpoints Strelna.

However, its status as the world’s reserve currency makes it the least dirty shirt in the laundry.

I watch the metrics too. A few months ago, around late January, I used a similar expression, calling the US the nicest looking horse in the glue factory.

Negative earnings growth is not good however you dress it up. Nor are earnings ‘improved’ by buybacks at expensive prices, acquisitions at expensive prices, precautionary cost-cutting and so on.

These may be ominous signs, I agree, but what other options are there? Take a look at bond and treasury yields, pathetic. And now it looks like the Fed will keep interest rates unchanged for at least another year, probably two, maybe indefinitely. So for the time being the stock market in the US seems the better bet, and big money institutions know it so they’re holding their noses and piling in.

Looking outside the US, we go back to the first point, the least dirty shirt in the laundry. We have the EU trying to hold it all together following Brexit, and the UK itself may be headed for a breakup. The ECB is barreling down the road of QE and cutting rates, and Japan, well Japan has negative interest rates. So where are they parking their money? In cash? Gold? China? Maybe a bit of each, but a lot of them are parking their money in the US, hence the strengthening dollar.

Productivity and growth metrics in the US are screaming GET OUT! But in these extraordinary times of low interest rates, QE and stagflation across the globe, I don’t see any safe havens, do you?

Free trade is under attack it seems, and the trends towards populism in the West may just be the fractious seeds that drive the next stage of economic and political warfare. I honestly don’t know where this all is headed. Maybe this is just kindling for the next major hot war. But short of stuffing money into the mattress what else can you do?

I won’t get into the China Sea discussion, I have my thoughts on it, but I’ll save that for different outlet.

-----
Invest wisely my friends

4 Likes

Were it not for my sadness at America, the land that once revered Thomas Jefferson, now promoting Professor Krugman to the role of national sage SoloFool, I would very much like your glue factory metaphor.

Investment-wise, the TINA music stops sometime and is therefore a dangerous maxim unless you like being the victim of Ponzi schemes. We are living in a Ponzi Scheme such as I have never seen.

There are no safe havens. We live in a world where the impossible must now be imagined (pretext, laundering, terrorism): negative interest rates, capital controls to arrest capital flight, limitations on size of cash transactions, announced annually increasing taxes on the use of cash (to get it out from the mattress), the illegality of holding gold, finally the abolition of cash altogether. Does the result sound totalitarian?

That is where we have been led.

2 Likes

TINA is not an investment strategy, for certain, but pining for the good old times and throwing your arms in air doesn’t seem to be working either.

-----

I forgot it, so I looked it up - TINA means “There Is No Alternative”. It’s what you do when there ain’t no choice.