Monday continues expansion. Opens Chicago office

Saul,

I share your ambivalence, and I am concerned about the numbers mentioned down thread.

Worse, I am ambivalent about workspace at all. Here is why.

My baby boy works for FEMA in Chicago. The job requires a college degree. Not anything special, just a general degree. The job starts at about 70k and over just a few years, can end up being a 115 k a year job. FEMA has been unable to hire people in Chicago at all. When FEMA announced remote work with one day a pay period in Chicago, they were able to hire the people they needed. People in semi rural places took the jobs, they fly in for the last and first day of a pay period so one flight a month. The rest of the time they work remote. This is the power of remote work.

So on one hand, building out office space for work that can be done remotely is foolish and a complete waste of money and worse hurts the ability to attract talent. However, if the business demands on site work force, then Chicago is one of the best cities to do it in. The population pyramid of Chicago shows a large bulge of young working age population and the housing market is actually pretty inexpensive. For example, a nice two bedroom condo overlooking the lake and yacht club in Chicago can be rented for about 2500 a month. The same square footage costs the same with a view over Saint Andrews bay in Panama City Beach Florida.

My son, a native Texan from a small town, and one that has lived in the Midwest, loves Chicago.

So, I am if two minds. If it can be done remotely, the office space is a drag. If it cannot, an attractive spot in Chicago is a big draw in a tight labor market.

Cheers
Qazulight

18 Likes