Musk Infers "American Workers R Lazy"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-says-americans-trying-1…

Elon Musk said China would produce “some very strong companies,” praising the country’s workforce.

By contrast, he said, “in America people are trying to avoid going to work at all.”

“There’s just a lot of super-talented, hardworking people in China who strongly believe in manufacturing,” Musk said in an interview with the Financial Times on Tuesday.

“They won’t just be burning the midnight oil. They will be burning the 3 a.m. oil,” he continued. “They won’t even leave the factory type of thing, whereas in America people are trying to avoid going to work at all.”

Musk’s recent comments came in response to a question about which electric-vehicle startups impressed him the most, to which he responded that Volkswagen — though far from a startup — was “doing the most” on the EV front.

So does Musk believe the above blatter or he is just sucking up to the CCP because he has a Tesla factory in Shanghai?

1 Like

Musk uses money as a club–and he just is not effective.

He ways VW is doing the best (of his competitors), but what he does NOT say is European workers are “on the job” significantly less than US workers. He obviously is missing a key point: It is not “how long you work” that matters. The essential factor is productivity. Clearly, VW is able to get better productivity using fewer total hours worked–so workers can be paid more AND have more time off.

1 Like

“in America people are trying to avoid going to work at all.”

“There’s just a lot of super-talented, hardworking people in China who strongly believe in manufacturing,”

He’s not wrong…

3 Likes

So does Musk believe the above blatter or he is just sucking up to the CCP because he has a Tesla factory in Shanghai?

He’s a typical USian JC, wants people that will work 24/7 for nothing.

Steve

6 Likes

The whole point of having a good economy should be to allow folks to have more enjoyment, not to have a set up where they work to avoid starvation and enrich a few.

2 Likes

He ways VW is doing the best (of his competitors), but what he does NOT say is European workers are “on the job” significantly less than US workers. He obviously is missing a key point: It is not “how long you work” that matters. The essential factor is productivity. Clearly, VW is able to get better productivity using fewer total hours worked–so workers can be paid more AND have more time off.

No. The only thing he does not say is that VW is doing really, really badly. It’s just the best of his competitors. He’s being polite.

There’s a reason that SpaceX and Tesla are the #1 and #2 preferred place of employment for graduating engineers. Elon not only provides his employees with fun stuff to work on, he makes them rich. Win-win.

-IGU-

1 Like

He’s a typical USian JC, wants people that will work 24/7 for nothing.

And this is shown by the fact that Tesla and SpaceX pay really well? I guess if you just make stuff up you can prove anything.

-IGU-

It may not be blather! He has a factory in CA and a similar factory in Shanghai … maybe he’s looking at the productivity data of each factory and comparing them?

3 Likes

…maybe he’s looking at the productivity data of each factory and comparing them?

Lets face it. A violently repressive dictatorship is going to have the trains running on time. That is a fundamental advantage over a democracy where people have a voice in more venues then their last statement in front of a firing squad.

Steve

1 Like

Lets face it. A violently repressive dictatorship is going to have the trains running on time. That is a fundamental advantage over a democracy where people have a voice in more venues then their last statement in front of a firing squad.

Yep. But it probably depends on how the repressive dictatorship is run. For example, China has MUCH better results than Russia, and Russia has better results than most* of the Arab/Muslim repressive dictatorships around the world.

• Obviously except for the oil rich ones, and even those don’t have spectacular results.
1 Like

He’s officially lost his right - to get away with lots of stuff.

I won’t comment as to why - but now, he’s lost teflon status.

4 Likes

There’s a reason that SpaceX and Tesla are the #1 and #2 preferred place of employment for graduating engineers

Because they’re in America? I wonder why he doesn’t start them up in China, where the better workers are?

Oh wait, I think I know. It’s because if he tried his libertarian, regulation is wrong, get the government off my back, loudmouth shenanigans there the Party would flatten him faster than a moose pie in mating season.

So he enjoys his freedom here, even as he complains about the workers who also have just a little bit of it. I don’t wish Jack Ma’s fate on anyone, but I’m willing to keep an open mind about it in Musk’s case.

26 Likes