My company moving to ZOOM phone implementation

I work for a company with ~10,000 employees. Today it was announced that we will be moving away from Cisco softphone to Zoom Phone.

"We are preparing to make cost-effective upgrades to modernize our U.S. and ROHQ phone systems. We are now moving to a modern, software-based phone system.

At a high level, here’s what’s happening:

• The phones U.S. and ROHQ employees use now, including Cisco softphone, will go away
  • We will move to Zoom Phone through the Zoom app already in place

This change will take place in late-February to early March in the U.S. with a few exceptions. Moving to Zoom Phone will save XXXX $300 per person per year, and it aligns with a corporate trend to move away from phones on desks.

The main driver for implementing now is that Microsoft has discontinued support for software that enabled voicemail. Separately…"

Just wanted to share with you all, as I enjoy this board.

Take care,
Assiduous

62 Likes

I work for a company with ~10,000 employees as well, and they announced we are going from Skype/Webex to Teams.

I hope this information was useful to the board.

5 Likes

I work for a company with 45,000 employees and we are going from Skype to Teams also.

Andy

3 Likes

Of course, all these “my company is doing this” stuff is completely anecdotal, and there seems to be plenty of reporting of “my company is going to Zoom” but I hardly doubt if it’s the other way around or someone besides Zoom, nobody is going to go on here to report it. And none of it is going to help determine if ZM can continue growing.

But, as I mentioned earlier, Skype going away is going to change the competitive landscape. If Skype goes away, the default is to go to the replacement product Teams. And at that point, WebEx becomes redundant. And possibly Zoom if a company is Zoom/Skype. I’d say the big loser in this case of Skype going away is going to be WebEx. As I pointed out that’s what my company is doing.

So we may see some jockeying over the years as companies transition off Skype. It may be detrimental to Zoom, it may benefit Zoom. It may be a wash, because, Skype going away can cause companies to take a look at their business communication software and make changes. It will probably be the best shot Microsoft has at challenging ZM for a leadership position.

4 Likes

Our company has 15k employees and also moved from Skype to Teams beginning of 2020.

3 Likes

I spend most of my working mornings on conference calls with folks from all over the world. 3-4 hours of calls a day is normal for me. And having used Zoom, Webex, Skype for Business, regular Skype, and Whatsapp virtually every week of the past year with colleagues in Asia Europe and Africa I think i have a pretty good sense of the quality of service.

Zoom is by far the best. I now get really annoyed when i get invitations from colleagues wanting to use Skype for Business because the quality sucks and it often means 10-15 minutes of trying to get everyone online. Even regular Skype seems much more reliable. There is a reason ZM has gone up most days this past week. I truly believe the flu is going to accelerate adoption of the highest quality product as companies realize that in person meetings are going go get more challenging. This is a set it and forget it investment for me, I feel very comfortable adding to my position.

25 Likes

This week I had a chance to try zoom for the first time and was pretty impressed. I had a chance to both share and have someone share their computer with me. Both times it worked perfectly with no lag or glitches.

The software also gives you the option of sharing your whole desktop as if someone was sitting next to you, or just a certain program so they can’t see the other things you might have open. A privacy option I think is important and one I appreciated.

I liked Zoom significantly more than something like WebEx and can see why so many companies are moving to Zoom.

7 Likes