My Foolish Family

I hope everyone had a great holiday seeing family and friends.

I’m back home from taking my youngest son to the train station. He has started his journey back to the USCGA. He’s just 18 and in his first semester there. He has some more classes and tests and presentations, and then final exams. Then, in a few short weeks, he will be back on the train heading back to this area.

My oldest deployed on the 18th out of Seattle. He should hit his first port call in Hawaii sometime tomorrow. After that, more sailing and such and a few more port calls. He won’t get back to Seattle until April. He is an Ensign in the Coast Guard.

It’s still weird not having my kids here. I realize neither will probably ever live in my home again. It’s possible we may not even live in the same state again.

It’s warm for this time of year. I think I’m going to go out and walk a few miles.

Fool on,

mazske

23 Likes

It’s still weird not having my kids here. I realize neither will probably ever live in my home again. It’s possible we may not even live in the same state again.

Possibly, or in 4 years you might find yourself with the youngest moving back in for a while during the great post-college new job move. Enjoy the solitude while you can.

Happy holidays!

LWW

1 Like

mazske, I can totally relate. My oldest is a junior at UF, and my youngest is a freshman at UCF. I am thankful they came home, even for these few days over TG weekend.

Like you, I wonder if they will ever be back home for more than a few days or few weeks during breaks. I miss them, but I am glad to see them develop and pursue their own interests in life. It’s amazing how things change from their needy days as dependents, to their adulthood when they can think and make decisions on their own. As all parents do, we must all gradually let them get on their way and choose their their own path.

-----
Invest wisely my friends
CMFSoloFool
Ticker Guide: NTGR and OTEX

4 Likes

Possibly, or in 4 years you might find yourself with the youngest moving back in for a while during the great post-college new job move. Enjoy the solitude while you can.

Not in his case. Upon graduation, the President at that time will present him with his commission as an Ensign in the US Coast Guard. He will then have 5 years of service.

My oldest was commissioned in May by President Obama.

I’ve told both boys they should try to stay in for 20 years. The military is about the only job that has 20 year retirement.

Plus, starting pay as an Officer is great. And, they get paid while in the Academy. I helped my oldest to open an IRA and to start investing when he was 19.

We plan to get my youngest started with investing in an IRA over Christmas break.

Fool on,

mazske

4 Likes

7500 a month salary not too shabby…good job Dad…

mazske, I can totally relate. My oldest is a junior at UF, and my youngest is a freshman at UCF. I am thankful they came home, even for these few days over TG weekend.

I’m glad you were able to see your two. All parents have to go through this.

In my case, I left my parents house at age 19 when I enlisted in the Navy. I’ve never lived in the state I grew up since then.

My wife is from a foreign country, so she’s even further from her family.

I think my oldest son is in port in Hawaii now. I hope he can call sometime soon. He has quite an adventure over these next few months. In the spring, they are supposed to have a portcall in my wife’s home country.

We hope to fly there to see him. We haven’t seen him since June. My youngest will have spring break during that same time period, so hopefully all of us can go.

I miss them, but I am glad to see them develop and pursue their own interests in life. It’s amazing how things change from their needy days as dependents, to their adulthood when they can think and make decisions on their own. As all parents do, we must all gradually let them get on their way and choose their their own path.

Yes sir. My oldest is now 22 and he is supervising his enlisted department. He is working on his qualifications and once qualified, he will be able to drive this near 400’ boat!

From the time an 18 year old, or 17 in my youngest sons case, enters college, to the time they graduate at 22, or 21, they should mature and change.

In my kids case, with going to a military service Academy, they have summer assignments so they get out into the real Coast Guard for that.

Next summer, my still 18 yr old son will either sail to Europe or fly over and sail back. Wow, that still amazes me he will get to do this.

When we see him after it, he will still be the same boy we raised, but there will be differences about him. We saw those changes occur in our oldest son as well during his 4 years at the Academy.

Since graduation in May, my oldest was at Bonaroo music festival in TN, he went to Iceland and hiked for 10 days or so, he drove across the country from TN to Washington state, flew to Vallejo, CA when his boat was in drydock, sailed back to Seattle after 2 months, then to a school in San Diego, then back to Seattle, and now on a 4 month deployment to Antarctica where they will break ice.

We haven’t seen that son since early June. If we do see him in the spring in Panama, he will still be our first born that we raised, but he will be different in some ways.

I’m adapting to being an empty nester. I’ve been texting my oldest sons girlfriend tonight. She’s also an Ensign in the Coast Guard. She saw her family over Thanksgiving and told me she is missing them now. She’s in a school on the east coast at the moment, but will return to her duty station in Washington state in a few weeks.

I think I mentioned in another post I’ve helped my two boys to start investing. I’m helping my sons GF as well to invest.

I apologize for going off on tangents. I’m proud of my kids. I’m sure you are proud of yours at UF and UCF!

Fool on,

mazske

5 Likes

7500 a month salary not too shabby…good job Dad…

My oldest son is a fresh O-1, so he’s not making that much yet. When he picks up O-2 with two years in, I think he will be close to that amount though.

Thanks,

mazske

Besides, where else can you get to do cool things, get paid for it, then get paid when you quit doing it.

Personally, I would plan on 35 years or when my body wore out which ever came first.

I was enlisted and did not re enlist. Worst mistake I ever made.

Cheers
Qazulight (Electronics Technician 1st Class)

Qazulight (Electronics Technician 1st Class)

Hey, what years? Navy?

I was in the Navy. Left at 9 1/2 years. I was an ET1 like you. Went into the Navy Reserves and picked up Chief. I retired as an ETC. I just have to live until age 60 to get that pension though.

mazske

A Fool who in hindsight wishes he had stayed on active duty for 20.

Qazulight,

Hmm, checked your name. I think we may know each other, maybe.

Panama?

Super Dave?

mazske

Coast Guard, 81 to 85. I think it was the only period in history when we were at war with no one.

Took basic in Alemeda on Goverment Island, “A” School in New York on Governers Island, spend the rest at the base in Mobile Alabama.

I always felt the Coast Gaurd was the best service for learning a trade. There were only 20,000 thousand Coasties, and maybe 600 ET’s. Basically if it broke and it didn’t have a gun attached, and it had DC voltages, it was yours. The AC work went to the electricians and the guns went to the fire control technicians. (I think there were three.)

I think it is similar for officers. In a career an officer will captain at least one ship, (or shipette, a 95 foot cutter is a pretty small thing),and it could be a white boat,(Cutter) a black boat, (Bouy Tender) or a Red Boat (ice breaker) he might run a communications facility. (Then again the whole Loran thing is gone so I don’t know about that anymore.) A marine safety office, a search and rescue base and any other weird thing the Coast Gaurd might get tied up in.

As such a Coast Guard Officer has the oppurtunity, and obligation, to learn every thing about the maritime. Inland, off shore, environment, politics, law, and construction and warfare.

Cheers
Qazulight (Both my son’s are color blind, so could be neither technicians nor officers, they chose college instead.)

Qazulight,

Panama?

Super Dave?

mazske

I never made Panama. We had a technical inspection trip planned (Post Coast Guard) for Barbados and Panama. Had both a black and red passport in hand. But the military captured Pine Apple head and Panama was in an up roar so we had to cancel that part of the trip and cool our heels for an extra day or two in Barbados.

Sometimes a job is tough, but somebody’s got to do it.

Cheers
Qazulight

Qazulight,

Panama?

Super Dave?

masked,

Super Dave?

I almost think I remember that handle.

Are you familiar with a peculiar army base outside of DC?

Cheers
Qazulight

Hey guys, I have a daughter who recently left home too, and this has been an interesting conversation for me, but it’s turning into an extended private personal conversation having nothing to do with investing, so perhaps you could take it off-line?
Thanks,
Saul

10 Likes

Not in his case. Upon graduation, the President at that time will present him with his commission as an Ensign in the US Coast Guard. He will then have 5 years of service.

Very cool! My son is joining the Navy next fall. He too, has fallen for the lure of retirement at 39 :wink:

LWW