My Portfolio at the end of May 2021

Here’s the summary of my portfolio at the end of May.

As usual, I am figuring from the last weekend of the month. Monday the 31st would carry over into June, but it’s a market holiday anyway.

I think that the “Sell growth, buy junk!” rotation that we saw for the first 4½ months of the year may finally be over.

My portfolio finished May up 4.1% YTD (or at 104.1% of what I started with), after being as low as down 18.5% (at 81.5% of what I started with) two weeks ago. That is a rise of 28% (104.1/81.5 = 1.28) of my entire portfolio in just over two weeks, topping out on Thursday at a close of 106.7% of what I started with.

The good news was that there had been no actual bad news! Almost every one of our companies has reported excellent earnings. In fact, if I look at these nine positions (which currently make up my entire portfolio), here’s what their rates of revenue growth looked like in their most recent quarters:

**Crowdstrike	74%**
**Cloudflare	51%**
**Datadog		51%**
**Inari	       113%**
**Lightspeed	48%   (organic, recurring revenue)**
**Snowflake      110%**
**Upstart		90%**
**ZoomInfo	50%**
**Zscaler		60%**

Their revenue growth rates average up 71% !!! (And if I had counted Lightspeed at its actual “reported” revenue growth, which included revenue from acquisitions, these companies would be averaging 81% year-over-year revenue growth).

With revenue growth averaging 70% - 80%, it’s clear that these companies are doing just fine, irrespective of transient fluctuations in their stock prices.

Back in 2020 our companies stood out as a safe port in a storm, and their stock prices got bid up quite high. In the first four and a half months of this year, a lot of the people who had hopped on our SaaS companies without really understanding much about them, sold them and rushed off to invest in cyclicals as their next fad. Then, this month, reality set in again and our companies came back strong.

I am no good at timing the market and I won’t try, but will just stick with strong rapidly growing high-confidence companies. I can’t tell you what the market will do Monday, or next month, or the next three months, or six months, but I can tell you that these companies are very successful, and that I can sleep well with them in my portfolio.

This year we are more likely to grow at a more normal rate, more related to the rate of growth of our companies’ revenue growths, or a little less (which is my current guess, anyway), which won’t be bad :grinning:, but it certainly won’t be like last year. But don’t be surprised at ups and downs along the way.

MY RESULTS YEAR TO DATE

My portfolio closed this month up 4.1% (at 104.1% of where it started the year)! Here’s a table of the monthly year-to-date progress of my portfolio for 2021.

**End of Jan 		+   2.5%**
**End of Feb         	+   0.3%**
**End of Mar 		-  13.0%** 
**End of Apr		-   0.2%**
**End of May		+   4.1%**

HOW DID THE INDEXES DO?

Here are the results year to date:

The S&P 500 (Large Cap)
Closed up 11.9% YTD. (It started the year at 3756 and is now at 4204, up 0.6 for the month).

The Russell 2000 (Small and Mid Cap)
Closed up 14.9% YTD. (It started the year at 1975 and is now at 2269, up 0.2 for the month).

The IJS ETF (The S&P 600 of Small Cap Value stocks)
Closed up 30.9% YTD. (It started the year at 81.3 and is now at 106.4, up 4.9 for the month)

The Dow (Very Large Cap)
Closed up 12.8% YTD. (It started the year at 30606 and is now at 34529, up 2.1 for the month).

The Nasdaq (Tech)
Closed up 6.7% (It started the year at 12888 and is now at 13749, down 1.6 for the month).

These five indexes averaged up 15.4% YTD. At the end of Apr they were up 14.4%, so they gained 0.9% in April. (115.4/114.4 = 1.009).

So far this year it was the world turned upside down, The IJS (made up of value stocks), which went nowhere in all of the recent years and held the averages back, is now way out ahead, and the Nasdaq (tech stocks) which led the market by far in past years, is now in last place. But I don’t try to guess the market like that. I just invest in great companies and they take care of themselves.

YOU WILL HEAR KNOW-NOTHINGS TELL YOU

You will hear know-nothings tell you that this rotation we went through proved how dangerous the “bubble” in our “overpriced” stocks was. Let’s see… I finished last year at 333% of what I started the year with. So am I supposed to be repenting my sins because this year I am only up 4% when the market is up 15%? Really??? What a joke!

In my End of February Summary I posted my Four Year Results for 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020. I finished the four years up 1251% (at thirteen and a half times of what I started with). In those four years the S&P finished up all of 67%. That’s 67% to 1251% !!! - Wow, was I punished for investing in these silly overpriced high-growth companies! Tell me about it!

Relax! Our companies are strong and powerful and doing incredibly well. They will be fine, and so will their stocks.

LAST FOUR MONTHS REVIEW

February I was up to eleven positions inspite of my attempts to reduce the number. I sold out of what was left of my Docusign position. Early in the month I reduced my Crowdstrike from 33% to 30%, just being uncomfortable with a full third of my assets, and growing, in one company. I decided I’d be happy with just 30%. :grinning: I used the money from the little bit of Docusign, and from the Crowdstrike, to add to my positions in Zoom, Zscaler, and a little more to my Inari position. These are away from the top three which so dominate my portfolio. I then trimmed my position in Snowflake to take a starter position in LightSpeed, and finally, as Crowdstrike was again up to 31.6%, I trimmed it back again towards 30% to take a starter position in Twilio.

I guess what the issue is, is that I had 72% of my portfolio in three positions: Crowdstrike, Cloudflare, and Datadog, and if I could have found two or three more companies in which I had similar confidence, I would have been happy to have a five or six stock portfolio. I do have 7% in Snowflake, and about 6.4% in Inari, but then I had a six stock diminishing tail in Okta, Zscaler, Lightspeed, Twilio Zoom, and Etsy.

March was a wild month for me. At one point I was up to an unmanageable 12 positions, having added positions in Etsy and Peloton. However during the month I sold back out of Etsy, Peloton, and the last of my Zoom.

Why? I again decided I’d rather invest in the growth of Data, and the Cloud, which can increase forever, than in the growth of people’s subscriptions which are inherently finite and limited. I’m back down to 9 positions. Here’s how it went this month:

As I developed more confidence in some of my smaller positions, I decided that it made no sense to carry 30% in Cloudstrike, (although it remains my highest confidence position), and to have 22% of my portfolio in Cloudflare, while I had other strong companies in my portfolio with much, MUCH, smaller positions. I cut Croudstrike to a 27% position and Cloudflare to an 18% position.

Their sizes had been 5 to 6 times as large as many of my smaller positions which were also great opportunities, and that big a gap didn’t seem to make sense.

I also cut my Snowflake position in half, down to 3.5%, as it seemed that its huge growth was at war with its huge price, and I could see other places I’d like to put my money. Then after Snow annouced earnings, I decided I had to be in a company with results like that, and I added some back at $215, and then continued to add more up to a 9.4% position.

I continued to slowly trim Okta. Then Okta made a large acquisition and at first I worried that it made the story more complicated and uncertain. After spending time studying it and reading the conference call, I decided it could turn out to be a really terrific acquisition that would energize and transform Okta.I stopped trimming and added some back, and Okta is now about 5% of my portfolio.

And finally, I gradually completely tapered out of Zoom. I was long ambivalent about Zoom. I think that noone currently using Zoom for video is going to quit it post-pandemic, but I don’t think that even Zoom phone will budge the needle. So I had better places for my money and exited.

So what did I do with the money? Well I decided that I had a great group of smaller contenders.

My favorite is Inari, which has grown to a 10.3% position, in 4th place, but well behind my big three. It announced rather spectacular results in March. Its revenue was up 144%, it had gross margins of 92%, it is quite profitable, it just paid off all its longterm debt. It is low capex, and has a form of recurring revenue.

Inari is followed by Snowflake and Okta, at 9.4% and 5.0%, which I have already mentioned.

The remaining three are tightly packed between 4.5% and 4.8% positions. They include Zscaler which just announced results and accelerated revenue growth, again, this time to 55%! Billings were up 71%, RPO was up 68% to $1.025 billion. That’s enormous for a company whose revenue last quarter was just $157 million.

And Twilio which is again reaccelerating, and has been well discussed on the board. Remember though to consider their organic revenue growth (without the acquisition), as they are also digesting a large acquisition.

Finally Lightspeed, which is a cross between an ecommerce company and a recovery from the pandemic company, as it serves a lot of restaurants and hospitality companies as well as regular retail. It announced another acquisition this quarter, whichgives it an entry into Australia and New Zealand.

So it was a very busy month for me. To summarize what I did: I took little positions in Etsy and Peloton, and then exited them. I also exited Zoom, all three being companies with huge revenue growth rates during Covid, but with a reasonable likelihood of enormously slower growth rates a year from now.

I reduced my Cloudflare position from 22% to 18%, and my Crowdstrike from about 30% to 27%. I increased my Inari position by almost 50%. I first reduced my Snow position but then built it back to 9.4% which was larger than it started the month. I increased my postions in Okta, Twilio, Zscaler and Lightspeed to where they are all roughly between 4.5% and 5.1% positions. I didn’t make any significant changes in Datadog.

April Back in February, to explain why I had so many positions (eleven), I wrote:

Here’s the situation: I have 72% of my portfolio in three positions: Crowdstrike, Cloudflare, and Datadog, and if I could find two or three more companies in which I had similar confidence, I would be happy to have a five or six stock portfolio. I do have 7% in Snowflake, and about 6.4% in Inari, but then I have a six stock diminishing tail in Okta, Zscaler, Lightspeed, Twilio, Zoom, and Etsy for 11 positions total

Well, all the positions in that long tail are now gone, and I have taken 9.6% and 6.9% positions in Upstart and ZoomInfo, two somewhat atypical positions for me, small SaaS companies that are first movers in modernizing old ways of doing business.

As I wrote that, I thought you might be wondering about why I sold all of those six companies in the tail. First of all because I liked my new picks better, but to be more specific: Okta because it continued to guide to 30% to 31% for the April quarter, and reiterated it with only three weeks to go so no one would be surprised. Etsy because I see it as a niche company that flourished during Covid, but whose growth rate will plummet post-Covid, Lightspeed because most of its growth comes from acquisitions, Zoom because it already conquered the world and its sequential growth is plummeting, Zscaler because it’s a slow marketing cycle and a slow install compared to Crowdstrike and Cloudflare, and Twilio because it’s just too complcated a picture, and has low gross margins. I expect that all six of those will keep growing, and some could even do better than either of the two I added, but I was looking for companies that could at least triple in price over the next few years, and I didn’t see that happening for any of those six.

Please remember that I could change my mind about any one or more of my positions tomorrow, depending on new information or other factors, and I won’t do another update until the end of the month. Make your own decisions. Don’t just follow mine. I make mistakes at times! Guaranteed!

May, I hope, was the turning point for our stocks as it looks like the rotation away from successful growth companies and into cyclical things like airlines, cruise ships, and retail, has ended and is starting to reverse. We hit bottom on Thursday, May 13th and my portfolio has risen 28% in the two weeks since then. I was lucky enough to be able to tell everyone with a lot of confidence that May 13 was the bottom for our stocks at that time. (See my board post for the reason I went out of my comfort zone to post that).

Upstart was an interesting story. On May 11, a Tuesday, after the close it announced absolutely great results and guidance (for instance, guiding for revenue up 157% for the year!!! They raised annual revenue guidance from $500 million to $600 million in one quarter! And of course they intend to raise guidance further each quarter), and moved on Wednesday all the way from Tuesday’s close of $89 to a high of $115, but were met by a short attack which knocked them back to $92 on Wednesday, and to the low $80’s on Thursday.

I bought all I could at the lower prices. I couldn’t believe it and bought all I could raise money for on both Weds and Thurs. On Thursday I bought some at $84, $83, and the lowest was $81.4. I told the board during the trading session what I was doing each of those days. On Friday, Upstart rose 23% to $103, and rose each of the next five days too, to close the next Friday at $154, up 89% from that $81.40 that I bought at just six trading days before!!! I think it was a short squeeze tacked on to the great results.

Due to that 89% rise in a week Upstart became my second largest position at 17.3%, zipping past Snowflake, Datadog and Cloudflare. I decided I wasn’t comfortable with such a complicated company, without guaranteed recurring revenue, and whose business was originating loans, as my second largest position at 17% of my portfolio, especially since it made part of its rise on a short-squeeze which could retrace part way, and early last Monday I trimmed it by 26%, trimming most of it at $154.40, and I put almost all that money into Lightspeed. Upstart is now at $148.22 and at 12% of my portfolio, which feels a bit less dangerous.

Inari also announced great results, but their conference call and guidance for the rest of the year had an air of extreme caution, hesitation, and worry, so I reduced my position size from 11% at the end of April to 6%, and since then even reduced it further to currently a negligible position.

I re-bought a 5.5% position in Lightspeed before results were announced this month, figuring that they would really be helped by all the re-openings I was seeing, as Hospitality was one of their two verticals. They grew their recurring revenue (which is 91% of total revenue), by 48% organically and by 137% counting acquisitions. I added to my position after earnings, using the money I got from trimming Upstart (see above). It’s now a 9.1% position.

After Zscaler announced results this week, and after reading their rather euphoric conference call, I bought back in a 5.9% position. I sold part of my remaining Inari to buy Zscaler, feeling that Zscaler was seeming more like a long term hold to me. I wish though that I had had the sense to buy before earnings were announced instead of after :grinning:.

HOW THE INDIVIDUAL STOCKS HAVE DONE YTD

Here’s how my current positions have done this year. I’ve arranged them in order of percentage gain. As always I’ve used the start of the year price for stocks I’ve been in all year, and my initial buy price for stocks I’ve added during the year. I tend to keep buying as the price rises, so my average price is often higher for stocks I’ve bought during the year.

Please remember that these starting prices are from the beginning of 2021, and not from when I originally bought them if I bought them in earlier years.

**Upstart from 92.20 to 148.22	        up    60.8%	buy in Apr, add 2 wks ago**
**Lightspeed from 58.15 to 71.99          up    23.8%	buy in May this time**
**Cloudflare from 75.99 to 82.06	       	up     8.0%**
**Crowdstrike from 211.82 to 222.15       up     4.9%**
**Zscaler from 186.70 to 194.20		up     4.0%	buy this week**

**Inari from 87.30 to 86.95	       down    0.4%**
**ZoomInfo from 47.34 to 43.83           down    7.4%	buy in Apr**
**DataDog from 98.44 to 91.05	       down    7.5%** 
**Snowflake from 281.40 to 238.03        down   15.5%**

Note that last month Inari closed at $114.29, and this month at $86.95, while almost everything else was going up, so I must not have been the only one who picked up on the conference call negativity. At the end of March, my only position that was in positive territory YTD was Inari, up 18.2%. All the rest were down for the year. Then at the end of April it was up 30.9%!!! This month amazingly, Inari is one of the four stocks in negative territory ytd (falling from up 30.9% at the end of April to down 0.4% now.

POSITION SIZES

With the addition of Lightspeed and Zscaler, I now have nine positions and that’s just about on the absolute upper limit of what I can deal with. I have an extremely large position in Crowdstrike, followed by large positions in Cloudflare and Datadog, and then we have Snowflake and Upstart, and the five of them make up 80.5% of my portfolio.

Here are my positions in order of position size, and bunched by size groups.

**.**

**Crowdstrike		23.7%**

**Cloudflare		16.9%**
**Datadog			15.3%**

**Snowflake		12.5%** 
**Upstart			12.0%**

**Lightspeed		 9.1%**

**Zscaler			 5.9%**
**ZoomInfo 		 4.7%**

**Inari			 0.7%**

COMPANY REVIEWS Please note that when I discuss company results, I almost always use the adjusted values that the companies give.

Also, PLEASE NOTE that these company reviews are mostly about my thoughts and feeling about how the companies are doing. If you are looking for more of what I’ve done during the month about the stocks and why, you may want to look in the LAST FOUR MONTHS REVIEW (above)

Crowdstrike is still my largest and highest confidence position at an enormous 23.7% of my portfolio. It is a security company built entirely on the cloud which started out securing endpoints, but now is expanding into many other aspects of security, and seems to be heading towards being one of the world’s dominant security companies. A key advantage it has is its AI. When it detects an attempt at an intrusion in one of its customer clients it instantly flags and stops that intrusion in that customer, but at the same time stops that intrusion from occuring in each and every one of its customers, pretty much instantly. It has a record of everything that has ever been tried on any of its customers so it keeps increasing its knowledge base. That’s a Wow! Feature, and no on-premises firewall company can come even close to what it does.

They had an outstanding earnings report in March, for their quarter ending in January. It included the number of subscription customers up 70% yoy, and subscription revenue up 77%.

New customer growth accelerated, up a record 1,480 new subs

• Record op cash flow and free cash flow

Total revenue was $265 million, up 74%.

Subscription revenue was $245 million, up 77%, and was 92.5% of total revenue.

Annual Recurring Revenue (ARR) was up 75% to $1.050 billion up $143 million sequentially.

Adj subscription gross margin was 80%, up from 77% a year ago.

Adj op income was $34 million, up from a LOSS of $7 million a year ago.

Adj net income was $32 million, up from a LOSS of $4 million

Adj EPS was 13 cents up from a LOSS of 2 cents.

Op cash flow was $114 million, up from $66 million.

Free cash flow was $97 million, up from $51 million.

Cash was $1,920 million.

It’s easy to see why Crowdstrike is a very high confidence position. I watched the Investor Day Presentation in April and they seemed almost euphoric. This company will keep doing well

Cloudflare (NET) is also a high confidence company for me, and is in 2nd place in my portfolio at 16.9%.
Here are some results from the March quarter, announced in May. I would have preferred even higher revenue growth, but I’ll “settle” for 51% growth (Boy am I spoiled!).
“We had a record-setting start to the year. Revenue was up 51%, and dollar net retention increased to 123%. We crossed 4 million total customers, and our large customer count was up 70% yoy, accounting for more than half of our total revenue. We delivered terrific financial results while also investing in innovation. Firing on all cylinders, we’ve already announced or delivered more than 100 products and capabilities this year. There’s no slowing down as we continue to deliver business-critical offerings and displace point solutions with Cloudflare’s robust global network.”

Revenue of $138 million, up 51%.

Adj gross profit was $107 million, and gross margin was 77.6%, compared to 78.3%, a year ago.

Record dollar-based net retention of 123%, up 6 points yoy, and up 4 points sequentially, showing our success selling our broad platform to our customers.

Strong large customer growth, with a record addition of 117 large customers sequentially and up 389 yoy to 945 total. This means large customers were up 70% yoy, and now representing over 50% of revenue.

Our million dollar large customer cohort continues to be the fastest-growing of the large customer cohorts. In response to the underlying strength we are seeing in the business, we plan to continue to ramp large enterprise sales capacity and expand our global footprint

We have about 119,200 paying customers, up 34% yoy, and up 8000 this quarter.

88% of our contracted customers now use four or more Cloudflare products. Four is a significant number for us because once someone is using that many products, customers consider us a core platform that is very sticky and difficult for any competitor to match.

Adj Op Loss was $7.5 million, or 5.4% of revenue, improved from 15.8%, a year ago.

Adj Net Loss was $9.3 million, compared to $12.3 million in the first quarter of 2020.

Adj EPS was a loss of 3 cents, up from a loss of 4 cents a year ago.

Op Cash Flow was $23.5 million, up from a LOSS of $14.3 million

Free Cash Flow was a LOSS of $2.2 million, or 2% of total revenue, improved from a LOSS of $30.6 million, or 34% of total revenue!!!

Cash was $1,035 million.

Remaining performance obligations, or ARPU, remained strong at $439 million, up 14% sequentially and 88% yoy. Current RPO was 76% of total RPO.

All in all, a very solid quarter.

DataDog, is in 3rd place. It’s a 15.3% position. Datadog announced their March quarter in May and had excellent and encouraging results, although we are still waiting for them to lap their Covid second quarter with their June results to be able to see what they are really doing year over year. For this quarter:

Revenue was $199 million, up 51%, and up about 12%, and $21 million sequentially
Adj Op Income was $19.6 million;
Adj operating margin was 10%.
Adj EPS was 6 cents
Operating Cash Flow was $52 million, more than 25% of revenue
Free Cash Flow was $45 million.
Cash was $1.6 billion
• We had 1,437 customers with ARR of $100,000, up 50% from 960 yoy

Gaucho Rico posted the following: The guidance for next quarter is for 52% growth, and for the past three quarters DDOG has beaten the top of revenue guidance by an average of 7%; a similar beat in Q2 would produce 63% revenue growth and a very strong re-acceleration of growth. The third quarter will also provide an easy comparison so we can probably expect a couple of great quarters coming. It also raised its full year guidance from $835M to $890M (an increase of 6.6% with two more quarters available to further increase guidance).

Upstart was presented to the board in January by GauchoRico, but I didn’t have the courage to take a position then, seeing it as too small and too risky, but then when Bert Hochfeld also wrote it up and recommended it in early April I decided it was worth the risk. Since I bought every share I could on the 13th when it was in the low 80’s, it has become my largest position at 12%, even though I’ve sold 26% of it.

What does it do? Upstart has developed a cloud-based platform that evaluates applicants for unsecured personal loans based on a multitude of factors that are not taken into account by traditional FICO scores. It is based on AI and deep learning so that the more loans it writes, and the more payments that are made on those loans, the smarter it gets. It’s a bit like the way Crowdstrike benefits and learns from every attempt at a breach that it analyzes, and its subsequent skill and enhanced knowledge gives it a moat, as a potential competitor would have to start from scratch. It’s the first mover advantage, and Upstart figures it has an eight year headstart on any competitors, as far as collecting the data.

What are the advantages of using it? It benefits everyone. The bank gets to approve more loans, with a considerably lower loss ratio, the customer has his or her loan more likely to be approved, and at a lower interest rate, and Upstart collects a fee. It’s a combination of lower interest rates, higher approval rates, and higher net yields.

How about management? The three who co-founded it (two men and a woman) in 2012 came from management positions at Google, and are all still at Upstart. Sounds good to me.

How’s business? Revenue from 2017 to 2020 went (in millions) $57, $99, $164, $233 (quadrupling in three years, inspite of revenue getting killed in the “Covid quarter,” Q2 of 2020). For 2020 they were adjusted profitable (23 cents per share, up from 5 cents the year before), and adjusted EBITDA profitable (13.5% of revenue, up from 3.4% the year before.

Quarterly revenue really took off in 2019, and the last nine quarters look like this. (You can spot that Covid quarter a mile away):

**20   33   49   63**
 **64   17   65   87** 
 **121** 

As you can see, quarterly revenue was six times what it was just two years ago! Guidance for next quarter is $155 million, which will be up from the $17 million Covid quarter, and up 28% sequentially, and they certainly expect to beat guidance.

Annual guidance for 2021 was $500 million just a quarter ago, and they raised it by $100 million to $600 million!!! That raises guidance from up 115% to up 157% (from 2020’s $233 million), and they certainly expect to raise that several times as well.

What’s new? They just acquired Prodigy Software, a facilitator of auto loans, which will multiply their TAM about six times, as auto loans are a market about six times as big as unsecured personal loans. They are already helping to originate auto loans with one or two banks.

How could I not invest in a company that is a first mover, making its own market with a highly automated cloud-based new technology which uses AI and deep learning? A company that is already profitable, and is growing so fast that it is guiding to 157% revenue growth for the 2021 year, which it is obvious that it will handily beat? At a minimum one should expect them to move that up 157% to up 200% growth by the end of the year (in other words, a tripling of 2020’s revenue). And it is moving into a new market that is six times as large! Holy mackerel!!! (to coin a phrase).

However, keep in mind that this is a complicated company, which has to deal with all kinds of financial/banking rules, and which doesn’t have guaranteed recurring revenue like, for example, Crowdstrike.

Upstart also may be cyclical and effected by the economy (look how it dropped revenue about 75% sequentially in the Covid panic quarter, which obviously could happen again in a sharp recession or equivalent). That’s why I trimmed my position by 25% when it ran up and got too large (as I described in my Last Four Months Review above), and that’s why you should be careful too.

Snowflake. It’s now a 12.5% position and in 4th place in my portfolio. Most of my purchases are still currently underwater. I had been ambivalent about whether I should have such a large position, but finally I decided that this company is a powerhouse, and one I want to keep a major position in. They just announced earnings this week.

Revenue up 110% and up 20% sequentially.
RPO up 206%, and was 6.5 times quarterly revenue, up from 4.3 times a year ago
Free cash flow was positive 10% of revenue for the quarter.
For the last fiscal year, free cash flow was -12% of revenue, up from -75% last year, and from -152% the year before that. That’s the kind of sequence I like to see.
Net retention rate was 168%, which is enormous.
For the last fiscal year product gross margin was 69%, up from 63% a yr ago and 59% two yrs ago. This quarter it was 72%. That’s another sequence I like to see.
They have 104 customers with TTM product revenue over $1 million!!! Up from 48 customers a year ago and from 77 sequentially. Wow, talking about sequences!
Cash was more than $5 billion
Net Promoter score was 71, and Dessmer Customer Satisfaction rated them 100%

How could I not invest in a company with results like that?

Bear also pointed out in a great post that since they only charge when contracted usage is actually used, new customers don’t usually count in their revenue until six months later, so even their huge revenue growth, as shown, is an undercount in a way.

By the way, when they talk of Product Revenue, it seems roughly the equivalent of when a SaaS company gives Subscription Revenue, in that it excludes Service Revenue and other revenue like Interest Revenue, etc.

This is a VERY high confidence company, but it is its stock price that I’m not as confident about. However a company with huge fundamental growth like that will grow into and past its stock price.

Lightspeed. I re-bought a 5.5% position before results were announced, figuring that they would be really helped by all the re-openings I was seeing, as Hospitality was one of their two main verticals. They grew their recurring revenue by 48% organically and by 137% counting acquisitions. I added to my position after earnings, and it’s currently a 9.1% position in 6th place.

ZoomInfo. I got this one from Bert also. (Also now a public article on Seeking Alpha). I just don’t know what to make of this company. It seems to be doing everything right. Its customers seem to love it and it has accumulated customers like Okta, Toyota, SAP, Shopify, Docusign, Zoom, Uber, Forbes, AmazonBusiness, etc, but it just doesn’t get much love at all from the stock market.

There have been several threads on the board with posts pro and con. This company is using AI to try to automate Sales and Marketing, which is every B2B company’s largest, or close to largest, expense, by leasing their SaaS platform to their customers so that said customers of ZoomInfo can find the right customer companies for their own products, and the right person at each of those customer companies to contact. This will cut costs for ZoomInfo’s customer company, or give it more revenue for the same cost, which ought to be a compelling reason, and ROI, to use this software.

Here are the results of the March quarter reported in May. ZoomInfo reported another spectacular quarter:

It’s revenue of $153 million, was up 50%, and up 12% sequentially adjusted for the number of days in the quarter

Adj Op Income of $66 million was 43% of revenue.

Operating Cash Flow of $93 million or 61% of revenue. Yes, you read that right, 61% of revenue!!! Operating cash flow that was 61% of revenue!!!

Adj Free Cash Flow of $97.5 million was 63% of revenue!!!

Deferred revenue was up $39 million compared to $14 million the prior year. Bert says that that indicates that calculated billings were up 66% yoy

New and Expansion Logo Customers: Last quarter they listed Okta, SAP, Toyota, and Marathon Oil.

This quarter they listed Zoom, Docusign, Shopify, Uber, Forbes, and AmazonBusiness (part of Amazon). What a list of customers!!!

The ZoomInfo platform has been named a Leader by The Forrester Wave: B2B Marketing Data Providers, Q2 2021. The report evaluated 11 providers based on 24 criteria across three categories: current offering, strategy, and market presence. ZoomInfo received the highest possible scores in 18 criteria, such as data acquisition and processing; data security and privacy; integrations, APIs, and applications; sales support; go-to-market (within the strategy category); solution packaging and pricing; and product roadmap and vision.

Significantly expanded the integration points between their Engage and ZoomInfo platforms, enhancing the ability to search and import contacts from ZoomInfo and Salesforce into Engage for improved efficiency, and configuring target market personas to receive recommended contacts to target.

Earned TrustRadius top-rated award for sales intelligence software for the fourth consecutive year. ZoomInfo has more than 800 verified ratings and reviews on TrustRadius and is also a certified recipient of the 2021 TrustRadius TRUE Badge, which recognizes vendors who are Transparent, Responsive, Unbiased and Ethical in sourcing and managing their consumer reviews.

Attained 2021 TrustArc GDPR and CCPA Practices Validations, confirming ZoomInfo’s status as a privacy-forward organization. The GDPR and CCPA Practices Validations confirm that ZoomInfo’s privacy policies and practices meet or exceed the TrustArc Privacy and Data Governance Frameworks, including: establishing, maintaining, and continually improving GDPR- and CCPA-compliant privacy practices aligned with the ISO 27001 International Standard for Information Security Management Systems.

Successfully lowered interest expense by paying back part of their debt, refinancing the rest at a lower rate, and taking out an unsecured loan and credit line…

More than 950 customers with $100,000 or greater in annual contract value (was 850 last report).

Had an eight figure contract this quarter (That’s $10,000,000 or more, just count the zeros!)

In the Conference Call, the analysts were throwing compliments and were asking in wonderment how they did it.

So to conclude: This is a company that is a first mover, making its own market with a cloud-based new technology that is changing an old way of doing things, attacking S&M expense, the largest expense item for many B2B companies, a company that is already very profitable, is using its data to move into a second market (recruiting), has very impressive clients (Zoom, Shopify, Docusign, Forbes, etc) and last quarter had 50% revenue growth and 63% free cash flow margins. But the market doesn’t seem to love it. I think it’s partly because its goal is to help marketing, and we all have developed negative feelings about advertising and marketing, thinking of obtrusive calls or ads on websites, etc so we automatically feel negaitve about it. We’ll have to see what happens.

Inari is in last place at a neglibible position. I took an initial position in late December at $86.50 and built it up in early January, and added to it in February and March too. The share price had grown to $114 at the end of April. When it announced results in May, the results were good but the tone of the conference call and the guidance was cautious, subdued and almost worried (although they had grown revenue at 113%). They wouldn’t even give guidance for the next quarter, and gave guidance for the entire year which was just a little above the run-rate for the March quarter. I tapered my position from 11% to 6% to raise money for other positions, and then continued tapering to where I’m almost out of it. The price has dropped from $114 to $87. I don’t know what’s wrong. They may just be super-duper-overcautious, but judging from price action, I’m not the only one who picked up on this and worries about it.

FINISHING UP
Let me remind you first, that I have NO IDEA what our stocks will do next month. I’m terrible on predictions. But I know that the businesses of our companies will do just fine for the most part.

I feel that my portfolio is made up of a bunch of great companies. But that’s just my opinion, and I can’t say often enough that I’m not a techie and I don’t really understand what most of them actually do at all ! I just know what great results look like. I figure that if their customers clearly like them and keep buying their products in hugely increasing amounts, they must have something going for them and, as I’ve often said, I follow the money, the results. And I listen to smart people about the prospects of these companies.

When I take a regular position in a stock, it’s always with the idea of holding it indefinitely, or as long as circumstances
seem appropriate, and never with a price goal or with the idea of trying to make a few points and selling. I do, of course, eventually exit. Sometimes it’s after months, and sometimes after years, but I’m talking about what my intention is when I buy.

I do sometimes take a tiny position in a company to put it on my radar and get me to learn more about it. I’m not trying to trade it and make money on it, I’m just trying to decide if I want to keep it long term. If I do try out a stock in a small position and later decide that it’s not what I want, I sell it without hesitation, and I really don’t care whether I gain a dollar or lose one. I just sell out to put the money somewhere better. If I decide to keep it, I add to my position and build it into a regular position.

You should never try to just follow what I’m doing without making up your own mind about a stock. In these monthly summaries I’m giving you a static picture of where I am currently, but I may change my mind about a position during the month. In fact, I not infrequently do, and I make changes in the position. I usually don’t announce these changes until the end of the month, and if I’m busy or have some personal emergency I might not announce them even then. And besides, I sometimes make mistakes, even big ones! Don’t just follow me blindly! I’m an old guy and won’t be around forever. The key is to learn how to do this for yourself.

THE KNOWLEDGEBASE
Since I began in 1989, my entire portfolio has grown enormously. If you are new to the board and want to find out how I did it, and how you can try to do it yourself, I’d suggest you read the Knowledgebase, which is a compilation of words of wisdom, and definitely worth reading (a couple of times) if you haven’t yet.

A link to the Knowledgebase is at the top of the Announcements panel that is on the right side of every page on this board.

For some additions to the Knowledgebase, bringing it up to date, I’d advise reading several other posts linked to on the panel, especially:

How I Pick a Company to Invest In,
Why My Investing Criteria Have Changed,
Why It Really is Different.
Illogical Investing Fallacies

I hope this has been helpful.

Saul

219 Likes

Saul, I think mistakes are learned from as well as successes. Here are my mistakes.

I had snowflake at 12% of my portfolio and eagerly waited for the quarterly report news. Almost immediately it started going down, down, down. I never saw the report, just the reaction. I panicked and sold at-8.5% down in the post market.

It came right back, and by the next day it was in good positive territory.

I knew SNOW was a solid company, but Bert’s post plus the post market decline led to a rookie mistake.

Then of course I took that and put almost all of it in my UPST position, which had grown by itself from my 5 spot to the 2 spot. Putting it in that made it 30% of my holdings and number 1.

I should have been trimming.

I thank you for the explanations of what you did, why you did it, and how you did it. Even in mistakes, after the fact, I learn and grow.

Chad

8 Likes

So far this year it was the world turned upside down, The IJS (made up of value stocks), which went nowhere in all of the recent years and held the averages back, is now way out ahead, and the Nasdaq (tech stocks) which led the market by far in past years, is now in last place.

This is just such a gem. The big picture is exactly this: some companies are growing rapidly, changing industries, pumping out successes and failures and innovations and improvements, creating new things and becoming more important and influential. Companies like Crowdstrike, Datadog, and Snowflake exemplify this. The hard part is valuation, because it’s hard to figure out just how “big” (vague term used intentionally) these companies have become. And if you could figure it out, by the time you do, they have likely become “bigger.”

I believe this allows Saul to mostly ignore valuation, ride out the ebbs and flows of Mr Market, and be able to say things like this:

Relax! Our companies are strong and powerful and doing incredibly well. They will be fine, and so will their stocks.

A very good lesson we can all take something from, no matter how long we’ve been doing this. Thanks, Saul.

Bear

71 Likes

Inari is in last place at a neglibible position. I took an initial position in late December at $86.50 and built it up in early January, and added to it in February and March too. The share price had grown to $114 at the end of April. When it announced results in May, the results were good but the tone of the conference call and the guidance was cautious, subdued and almost worried (although they had grown revenue at 113%). They wouldn’t even give guidance for the next quarter, and gave guidance for the entire year which was just a little above the run-rate for the March quarter. I tapered my position from 11% to 6% to raise money for other positions, and then continued tapering to where I’m almost out of it. The price has dropped from $114 to $87. I don’t know what’s wrong. They may just be super-duper-overcautious, but judging from price action, I’m not the only one who picked up on this and worries about it.

Saul,

I fell off the sled twice. First Inari.

As you noted in your summary they posted great numbers for the quarter and guided only to +68% for the coming year.

On the other hand they enthusiastically discussed their 5 active growth drivers including, adding additional territories in each coming quarter, enhanced education for potential users , growth of TAM, expanded product portfolio, and expansion to adjacent and int’l markets.

They guided to $54-56M for the next Q which is 16.7% Q/Q growth. That is good even if they do not beat which they may well do. It compounds to 85+ %.

If they beat their annual guidance by 10% they will in fact achieve +85%Y/Y

Nevertheless the price drop has been of some concern to me…what have I missed?

I’m also a bit uncertain about LSPD as you see it.

Lightspeed. I re-bought a 5.5% position before results were announced, figuring that they would be really helped by all the re-openings I was seeing, as Hospitality was one of their two main verticals. They grew their recurring revenue by 48% organically and by 137% counting acquisitions. I added to my position after earnings, and it’s currently a 9.1% position in 6th place.

Your April sale of LSPD was motivated by the fact that most of their growth comes from acquisitions. Isn’t this still true?

As reported in March Lightspeed revenue was +79%Y/Y but only 47% excluding acquisitions so I don’t perceive a change in status one way or the other.

Help me get back onboard. Thank you.

cheers

draj

15 Likes

Your April sale of LSPD was motivated by the fact that most of their growth comes from acquisitions. Isn’t this still true? As reported in March Lightspeed revenue was +79%Y/Y but only 47% excluding acquisitions so I don’t perceive a change in status one way or the other. Help me get back onboard. Thank you.

Hi Draj,

Lightspeed also reported in May (March quarter) with revenue growing 127% and 47% organically, but if you remember back, January and February were in the middle of Covid with rising rates of illness and lockdowns all over the place, and they still grew 47% organically, even though their current two verticals are retail and hospitality. Since “hospitality” was largely restaurants that were getting killed at that point (and retail wasn’t doing too well either), for them to be growing at 47% was amazing, and as things open up I’m hoping for sharply rising further rates of growth from here. They are also in Europe, which was being hit even harder than we were.

I hope that that helps,

Saul

23 Likes

Inari guided to $54-56M for the next Q which is 16.7% Q/Q growth. That is good even if they do not beat which they may well do. It compounds to 85+ %.

Draj,
You are a quarter behind on this. They guided to $54-$56 million for the just reported quarter (and came in at just $57.4), not the next quarter. They didn’t guide to next quarter revenue even though they were already a month and a half into the quarter when they reported on May 11. They gave a really puny guide for the year. (see this post I just posted 45 minutes ago for more discussion on Inari (and on why I’m almost out) – https://discussion.fool.com/saul-in-your-recent-monthly-portfoli…

Best,

Saul

16 Likes

A point on timeline for Lightspeed…

Lightspeed is based in Montreal, CANADA. It is worth noting we (I live in Vancouver), after a fairly recent re-closure, are JUST reopening restaurants for dine-in in many major cities; Vancouver just about a week ago and some places still haven’t started. We are still working towards everyone getting their first shot. BC is just getting in to the 30s age-group.

Even so, Lightspeed said they were already seeing improvement in the last month. This bodes very well for the rest of the year!

8 Likes

The good news was that there had been no actual bad news! Almost every one of our companies has reported excellent earnings. In fact, if I look at these nine positions (which currently make up my entire portfolio), here’s what their rates of revenue growth looked like in their most recent quarters:

Crowdstrike 74%
Cloudflare 51%
Datadog 51%
Inari 113%
Lightspeed 48% (organic, recurring revenue)
Snowflake 110%
Upstart 90%
ZoomInfo 50%
Zscaler 60%

I’ve been running through a thought experiment and I can’t quite figure out how to do the calculations to arrive at the figures I’m trying to get this.

Here’s the idea. Imagine all of the companies you own are a single conglomerate. The total revenue of the conglomerate is the total revenue of all the separate companies. The total market cap of the conglomerate is the total market cap of all of the companies.

Let’s call the individual company’s “components” of this conglomerate. Each component is growing at a different rate and all of those rates together combine to create the overall growth rate for the conglomerate. Components that form a larger revenue base contribute more to the total revenue of the conglomerate, just like companies with different revenue components and different growth rates.

It’s not hard to calculate the overall growth rate of the conglomerate. Just take the growth rate of each component, multiply the growth rate by the percentage of revenue that the component contributes to the total revenue, and add them up.

However, and this is where it gets tricky for me, let’s say your holdings are not equally weighted across each component. You may own double the percentage of the Cloudfare Component than you do for the Lightspeed component.

What I’d like to figure out is how to get a single number that could express the weighted p/s ratio, growth rate, and gross margin for my holdings within the conglomerate.

It should be possible, but I can’t get my head around it. Does anyone have any ideas?

2 Likes

Hey BobbyBe,

I actually do this. Hopefully this answers the question. All I do is just multiply the portfolio allocation by the metric I’m looking for and then sum everything.

For instance, if I was trying to find the weighted average revenue growth of CRWD, NET, DDOG, DOCU, and UPST and the allocations were 30%, 20%, 20%, 15%, 15%, it would look like this…

70% growth (CRWD) * 30%

51% growth (NET) * 20%

51% growth (DDOG) * 20%

58% growth (DOCU) * 15%

90% growth (UPST) * 15%

=

63.6% total weighted average revenue growth for this portfolio

You can do this same thing for every metric.

Best,
Fish

5 Likes

What I’m wondering is how to incorporate the fact that the base revenue for each company is different.

I can do what you did to get a weighted average of revenue growth.

I can also find the “conglomerate growth” by dividing the sum each company’s current revenue by the sum of each company’s year ago revenue.

The formula I’m trying to figure out is for how to combine these two.

1 Like