My take on AYX results

I think AYX had a great quarter. For me the most important stat is the 65% revenue growth, which is their second quarter of significant revenue growth acceleration. In Q1 they had 51% growth and in Q2 they had 59% growth so to see 65% growth this quarter is impressive. I don’t see how they can keep accelerating like this and think they probably hit a plateau. Looking at Q4 guidance, it looks like this acceleration will stop. They guided revenue to be “in the range of $128 million to $131 million, representing year-over-year growth of approximately 44% to 47%”. This would be a meaningful slow down from 65% growth.

But now let’s consider their Q2 and Q3 guidance just to understand the level of sandbagging. In the Q1 release, they guided Q2 revenue to be “in the range of $74.0 million to $77.0 million, an increase of 44% to 50% year-over-year” but the actual Q2 revenue came in at $82.0 million, an increase of 59%. In the Q2 release they guided revenue to be “in the range of $88.0 million to $91.0 million, an increase of 41% to 45% year-over-year” but came in at $103.4M, an increase of 65%.

Let’s look a little closer as guidance for Q4 and the full year:

For Q4 2019, we expect GAAP revenue in the range of $128 million to $131 million, representing year-over-year growth of approximately 44% to 47%.

For the full year 2019, we are raising our outlook and now expect GAAP revenue in the range of $389 million to $392 million, representing year-over-year growth of 53% to 55%. We expect our non-GAAP operating income to be in the range of $50 million to $53 million, and non-GAAP net income per diluted share of $0.57 to $0.60.

Considering they beat the high end of their Q2 revenue guidance by $5.0M or 6.5% and beat their Q3 revenue guidance by $12.4M or 13.6%, we could extrapolate the average 10% beat percentage to get a more realistic revenue estimate of $144.1 for Q4. That would be 61.5% growth from $89.2 million last year. That would also put total 2019 revenue at $405.1M. I might be too optimistic here, but management is obviously sandbagging so we need to adjust our expectations.

Let’s look into the figures in more detail. By region, US revenue came in at $74.7M up 73%. Slightly disappointing, international revenue was $28.7 million, up 48% year-over-year. This compares to 58% growth in Q2. When asked if there was anything causing this slower growth compared to the faster US growth, management said:

No, I actually think that it’s just the maturity and when we entered these markets, more than anything else. So we don’t go into much detail other than international in general. But all the markets did well. Again, the customer focused on automation, convergence, community, aren’t really any different around the world. The teams are newer in some of the markets and that might have an impact on things. But also to say that we actually did quite well in North America.

By revenue type, subscription based licenses was $54.3M up 88.5%, while support and services was $49.1M up 45%.

Dollar-Based Net Expansion Rate was 132%, down slightly from 133% in Q2.

Another area of potential concern was slowing customer growth. Although adding 335 new customers is a slow down compared to last year when they added 375, they have grown total customers by 30% over the last year. Sequentially they are starting to add more customers as they only added 277 customers on Q1 and 305 customers in Q2, so they are heading back in the right direction with 335 adds in Q3. They also went from 656 global 2000 customers in Q2 to 683 in Q3 and now have 34% share. Importantly, they are focusing on adding higher quality customers that will have more seat expansion in the future. Again from the call:

Notable customers that transacted with Alteryx during the third quarter include Amazon UK Services, Canada Post, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Ingram Micro, Microsoft, Rakuten Marketing, Workday and Uber Technologies.

For Q3, non-GAAP operating margins were 21% and they generated positive cash flow from operations of $7 million. This is where AYX shines compared to other software companies. I love their long-term FCF target of 30-35% of revenue.

Given the growth, they are continuing to spend:

Finally, we ended the quarter with 1,176 associates, up from 1,076 associates at the end of Q2 2019 and 756 associates at the end of Q3 2018. Our increase in headcount is reflective of the pace of investments we are making and we expect to continue to make to capture the meaningful opportunity we see globally.

Some analysts kept drilling in on the slower than expected billings as a potential sign of slowing growth in the future. Management did state that the 65% revenue growth was helped by product mix and contract duration, but these had only a minor impact on the revenue growth and that it was mainly driven by execution/true growth. They highlighted revenue guidance as the best indication of future growth vs using billings. See more from the call here:

If you think about the product mix, we’ve talked to a reasonable range of 35% to 40%. So as you move across that range, I mean, you can kind of figure out that there’s some contribution to product mix and its certainly favorable, but it’s not enough in terms of order of magnitude to drive a significant uplift, but it does have an impact.

And then, duration as I’ve mentioned, there was a modest increase sequentially, but we’re still averaging about two years. Both of those two factors certainly contributed to the strong revenue performance. But having said that, it was actually execution that really drove the lion share of the revenue that we put up this quarter.

And then:

So billings are, I mean, essentially an invoicing activity. At the end of the day, they’re subject to the timing and the amount they could build in the contract. So to your point, there is seasonality, there is timing. And that can fluctuate quarter-to-quarter. As I mentioned to Tyler’s question, we do think that revenue is the most appropriate indicator of the strength and momentum in the business. Billings can move up and down based on contractual arrangement.

Also related to future growth, management thinks there is still a lot of room to grow. See below quotes from the call:

Remember, in terms of designer seats, we’re still in the 1% penetration rate of even the G2K seats that exist out there. So I think there’s a long time before you will see any degradation in seat activity that would support our net expansion numbers…

…We’ve long said that the audience for self service data science and analytics was going to be won by us in the line of business it’s a $15 billion space. The winner of that space will be the natural beneficiary of the $28 billion share shift of all that technology that has historically sat in IT. We are beginning to see that shift.

It’s important though that we’re focused on the G2K and having CDOs or proxies for CDOs in the mix, because they are the ones who are going to drive that shift from systems of record deep in IT to systems of engagement out in the line of business. But we are beginning to see the early stages of that.

One of the areas that is driving the significant revenue growth is the 92% growth in the number of expands greater than $250,000. Note that this is up significantly from 50% growth in Q2. Management talked about that here:

Well, let me just comment that we did have 92% growth in those large expands or 250. We don’t talk about their contribution to overall revenue, but we call this out for a reason. The large organizations that we’re dealing with, particularly but not exclusively in the G2K are recognizing that we have become an enterprise standard in their enterprises. And many of these customers are going from tens of seats to thousands of seats in their build out of our platform.

Management also talked about how the big accounting firms and consultants are driving business:

The area where there is the most influence, it tends to be the global analyst consultant and the big six accounting firms. They’re actually helping carry a lot of the messaging to the C-suite, both CDOs, CFOs, CEOs, who are acutely aware of the necessity to have a digital transformation effort. And so their global expanse has been very helpful in helping us land many of the G2Ks. So we’re going to continue to leverage these strong partnerships, where there is no margin shift, going forward.

I actually just had lunch on Friday with 3 PwC consultants, so I asked about their use of AYX. As you may recall, AYX had to stop using PwC as their external auditor because PwC was becoming such a big customer. They told me that all PwC staff now have AYX licenses and are encouraged to use AYX in their work. I forgot to ask if this was US employees (about 75,000) or worldwide (about 250,000). They told me that PwC sees that the world is moving towards data analytics/big data and they wanted to be at the forefront. They also told me that in their meetings with various companies, the current environment is very focused on cost cutting through automation and efficiency. I think this plays into AYX’s favor. Separately, my company has EY as our external auditor and the manager on our account is rotating out to go into their data analytics group. I asked if this meant using AYX and he said that it did. This new group would work with EY audit teams to use analytics to make their audits more efficient. I am sure KPMG, Deloitte and the big consulting firms (McKinsey, Accenture, etc) are also ramping their AYX use to improve their data analytics.

Separately, I attend quarterly roundtables of internal audit groups and each quarter data analytics and AYX comes up more frequently. There are a couple of people that love AYX and talk about how helpful it really is. I may have to look into getting a license for myself at some point.

Turning lastly to valuation, as of Friday AYX has a market cap of about $6.4B with net cash of about $300M, so they have an EV of $6.1B. With 2019 revenue of $400M, they have an EV/sales of 15.3 times. With revenue growing above 60% and with long-term FCF margins of 30-35% of revenue, AYX seems like the best bet of the growth stocks in our universe. I am happy to have bought more on Friday and plan to be a long-term holder and potentially a user in the future.

130 Likes

Wouter,
Wonderful writeup for AYX. For what it’s worth, I have a church friend that is CFO for a private midwestern Ag/Outdoors/Autoparts/Clothing chain (think miniature mall for the farming community) that is about $2B in sales, so small, but not insignificant. He says that they cannot live without AYX.

Best,

bulwnkl

24 Likes

wouter28,

Thanks for the excellent summary of the AYX quarter.

One more thing that matters to me that is never discussed: AYX shareholder based compensation remains consistently among the lowest of our stocks, if not the very lowest.

Leadership has been parsimonious when it comes to diluting shareholder value of this bootstrapped company. No early VC dilution. Bootstrapped companies, of course, almost always endure a longer infancy period, enabling a longer discovery/buy-in period for average investor.

In a word, AYX leads the group in shareholder friendliness, IMO, and that’s a great comfort to shareholders of a company that now is soaring in the early stages of its explosive growth period.

There is always the threat that disruptive competitors might be stealthily emerging. We have to be vigilant in our efforts to tease out any such threats early as the lack of competition remains among AYX’s important growth drivers.

24 Likes

Good write up Wouter.

" I am sure KPMG, Deloitte and the big consulting firms (McKinsey, Accenture, etc) are also ramping their AYX use to improve their data analytics."

A company that is moving into the financial analytics space is Anaplan. I think Deloitte is going with PLAN.

From PLAN last quarter:

Anaplan and Deloitte signed 41 new deals in 1H 2019 as part of global alliance to deliver Connected Planning solutions. Deloitte now boasts more than 650 consultants delivering Anaplan solutions to customers with plans to double that number by 2021 and increased its number of certified Anaplan model builders by 67 percent year-over-year to keep up with market demand.

Jim (long both AYX and PLAN)

9 Likes

A company that is moving into the financial analytics space is Anaplan. I think Deloitte is going with PLAN.

Thanks Jim. I hadn’t looked at PLAN as being a significant competitor to AYX, but I can see how companies would use them for analytics. Deloitte actually took over as AYX’s external auditor since PwC was no longer independent. I assume that was part of Deloitte’s rationale for focusing on PLAN and not to be a big AYX customer.

I looked at AYX’s 10K and here is what it says on competition (note the 10K was filed on March 1, so the competitive landscape may have evolved):

The market for self-service data analytics solutions is new and rapidly evolving. In many cases, our primary competitors are manual, spreadsheet-driven processes and custom-built approaches in which potential customers have made significant investments. In addition, we compete with large software companies, including providers of traditional business intelligence tools that offer one or more capabilities that are competitive with our platform. These capabilities include data preparation and/or advanced analytic modeling tools from International Business Machines Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, Oracle Corporation, SAP SE, and SAS Institute Inc. Additionally, data visualization companies which already offer products and services in adjacent markets have recently introduced products and services that may become competitive with our offerings in the future. We could also face competition from new market entrants, some of whom might be our current technology partners. In addition, some business analytics software companies offer niche data preparation options that are competitive with some of the features within our platform, such as Dataiku Inc., MicroStrategy, Talend Inc., Tableau, TIBCO Software and Trifacta, Inc.

Many of our current and potential competitors, particularly the large software companies named above, have longer operating histories, significantly greater financial, technical, marketing, distribution, professional services, or other resources and greater name recognition than us. We expect competition to increase as other established and emerging companies enter the self-service data analytics software market, as customer requirements evolve, and as new products and services and technologies are introduced.

We believe the principal competitive factors in our market include:

• ease of use;
• platform features, quality, functionality, reliability, performance, and effectiveness;
• ability to automate analytical tasks or processes;
• ability to integrate with other technology infrastructures;
• vision for the market and product innovation;
• software analytics expertise;
• total cost of ownership;
• adherence to industry standards and certifications;
• strength of sales and marketing efforts;
• brand awareness and reputation; and
• customer experience, including support.

We believe we compete favorably with our competitors on the basis of the factors described above. Our ability to remain competitive will largely depend on our ongoing performance and quality of our platform.

16 Likes

I went through the AYX Proxy which is now a little dated as it was filed on April 12. The CEO and Chairman of the Board, Dean Stoecker, who was also a founder of AYX has 9M total shares which at the time of the proxy filing was about 14.4% of the total shares. The majority of these shares are B shares (of which he owns 52%) and gives him 40% of the total voting power.

I also see that Thompson Reuters has 4.2M B shares which gives them 20% voting power. One question on the earnings call was actually on Thompson Reuters and here is what management had to say about a partnership with them:

Just to talk about the Thomson Reuters’ partnerships; relatively new still; we do see pipeline building; they’re very excited; and there is a number of joint events that either have been held or will be held going forward.

Weird that their partnership is relatively new given that Thompson Reuters was likely an earlier investor given that they own all those B shares and have 20% of the shareholder voting power.

Another Board member, Jeff Horing, owns 3.5M shares, of which 2.4M are B shares and has 12% voting power.

So together Dean and Jeff Horing owns 19% of the company. Always nice to see high insider ownership.

One unusual item I noted from the Proxy:

Reed Stoecker, the son of Dean A. Stoecker, our Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, is a sales employee in strategic accounts. During the year ended December 31, 2018, Reed Stoecker had total cash compensation, including base salary, bonus, and other cash compensation, of $0.5 million. Reed Stoecker’s cash compensation was based on reference to external market practice of similar positions or internal pay equity when compared to the compensation paid to employees in similar positions who were not related to our Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. Reed Stoecker was also eligible for and granted equity awards on the same general terms and conditions as applicable to employees in similar positions who were not related to our Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.

I am sure this gets a lot of scrutiny, but a $500K salary for the son on the CEO who is a sales employee seems pretty high. I would hope that he is a high level employee to earn such a high salary. Perhaps Dean is grooming him to be in executive management and potentially a future CEO given that Dean is 62.

15 Likes

I am sure this gets a lot of scrutiny, but a $500K salary for the son on the CEO who is a sales employee seems pretty high. I would hope that he is a high level employee to earn such a high salary. Perhaps Dean is grooming him to be in executive management and potentially a future CEO given that Dean is 62.

Reed Stoecker is Director, Strategic Land and has worked for AYX for last 14.5 years.I think the $500k salary is very reasonable.

5 Likes

Considering they beat the high end of their Q2 revenue guidance by $5.0M or 6.5% and beat their Q3 revenue guidance by $12.4M or 13.6%, we could extrapolate the average 10% beat percentage to get a more realistic revenue estimate of $144.1 for Q4. That would be 61.5% growth from $89.2 million last year. That would also put total 2019 revenue at $405.1M. I might be too optimistic here, but management is obviously sandbagging so we need to adjust our expectations.

Wouter,

Nice summary. You hit on some of the great nuggets in the conference call!

Let’s look a little farther back at guidance and beats:

Guide	605 Rev	606 Rev	% Beat
Q1'18	40	**42.8**	50.3	7.1%
Q2'18	44	**46.8**	51.5	6.4%
Q3'18	50	**54.2**	62.6	8.4%
Q4'18	57.5	**60.5**	89.2	5.2%
Q1'19	72		**76.0**	5.6%
Q2'19	77		**82.0**	6.5%
Q3'19	91		**103.4**	13.6%
Q4'19	131			

So the average beat (if you look back further than just 2 quarters) is lower than 10%…more like 6-7% has been the average.

My hypothesis is that for the past 2 quarters revenue came in a bit higher than management was expecting. Perhaps they were taken off guard by this acceleration. The question is whether we are seeing the expand part of land and expand picking up. Is it a temporary 2 quarter acceleration or is the focus on the G2K having an impact more quickly. Looking at the number of customers added in the past 2 quarters, we are not seeing an acceleration in customers added:

16.2%
11.6%
13.7%
10.2%
10.1%
8.2%
11.1%
8.3%
7.3%
9.5%
8.8%
5.9%
6.1%
6.3%

In fact, the sequential customer adds has stepped down in the past 3 quarters compared to prior quarters.

Looking at the DBNE rate:

126%
127%
129%
135%
133%
134%
133%
131%
129%
129%
131%
132%
134%
133%
132%

We are not seeing a significant change here so the expand rate is not changing much either. However, since the DBNE rate is full TTM compared to the TTM of the full prior year, there is a 3 quarter buffer that will keep the number from changing by the true amount of change in the most previous quarter.

Thus, I would say that the increase in revenue is due to the size of initial business received from the new customers. In other words, their initial lands are bigger. I think that their continued focus on the G2K (i.e. the ~65% that they don’t already have) should yield them with good growth for a long time to come.

Chris

52 Likes

Thus, I would say that the increase in revenue is due to the size of initial business received from the new customers. In other words, their initial lands are bigger. I think that their continued focus on the G2K (i.e. the ~65% that they don’t already have) should yield them with good growth for a long time to come.

Chris

Regarding the G2K customers, and increase thereof, I note this from the conference call.

Just trying to parse on where these investments are happening. So it’s such a stark increase in G2K customers this quarter?
Dean Stoecker – Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Well, there’s two parts to this. One is the net new adds that we had in the quarter and then the second part of it was the change in definitions from prior years. So we did incorporate that. There were a total of I think reported 99 new G2Ks. There were 46 I believe net new from sales and the other remainder was from a redefinition on G2K.

So they were adding around 20 G2K customers a quarter and then last Q added 42–in reality–plus 54 more counted via “reclassification”. Still a very nice acceleration of adds and at roughly 1/3 of the cohort they are in the sweet spot of the “S” curve.

Nice.

KC

7 Likes

Chris,

You are correct. Paycom had this same issue about 18 to 24 months ago when they suddenly started responding to demand by customers in the next sphere up business size wise, and decided that would let their sales people go for business in this next larger group as well. Larger businesses naturally lead to accelerating growth in a recurring revenue business.

This is because the existing customers remain, sales go on as usual, but the sales force becomes more productive as larger businesses land bigger and expand faster. This naturally leads to acceleration.

This type of acceleration, in the early days (first few quarters), is seldom recognized by the market. This is particularly true with the current market sentiment in this sector.

So yeah, On that weird post earnings morning (What was it, this past Friday or something) when Alteryx opened 10% down of so and ended up 8% or 6% or something I threw off taking measured investment steps and bought a ton adding to the already large holdings I had. I sold off ZS and, given my desire to buy, I sold off Mongo. The Mongo sale cost me some because the crash was so rapid that by the time I sold Mongo and ran a quick calculator to figure out my net proceeds Alteryx was only down 2 or 3% or so. What you gonna do, they were all great buys anyways.

I really would like to just step back and let time pass and let Alteryx do its thing, as Paycom did its thing.

Tinker

21 Likes

I’d like to add to this. Dollar based net expansion rate is a lagging indicator. Let’s look at how it’s calculated (from the FY2018 AYX 10-K):

Our dollar-based net expansion rate is a trailing four-quarter average of the annual contract value, or ACV, which is defined as the subscription revenue that we would contractually expect to recognize over the term of the contract divided by the term of the contract, in years, from a cohort of customers in a quarter as compared to the same quarter in the prior year. A dollar-based net expansion rate equal to 100% would indicate that we received the same amount of ACV from our cohort of customers in the current quarter as we did in the same quarter of the prior year. [Chris here: in other words only customers who were customers 4 quarters prior to the current quarter are included in the current quarter’s DBNE rate.] A dollar-based net expansion rate less than 100% would indicate that we received less ACV from our cohort of customers in the current quarter than we did in the same quarter of the prior year. A dollar-based net expansion rate greater than 100% would indicate that we received more ACV from our cohort of customers in the current quarter than we did in the same quarter of the prior year.

To calculate our dollar-based net expansion rate, we first identify a cohort of customers, or the Base Customers, in a particular quarter, or the Base Quarter. A customer will not be considered a Base Customer unless such customer has an active subscription on the last day of the Base Quarter. We then divide the ACV in the same quarter of the subsequent year attributable to the Base Customers, or the Comparison Quarter, including Base Customers from which we no longer derive ACV in the Comparison Quarter, by the ACV attributable to those Base Customers in the Base Quarter. Our dollar-based net expansion rate in a particular quarter is then obtained by averaging the result from that particular quarter by the corresponding result from each of the prior three quarters. The dollar-based net expansion rate excludes contract value relating to professional services from that cohort.

So any customers that were added after September 30, 2018 are not counted in the Q3 2019 (Sept 2019 quarter) dollar-based net expansion rate. So essentially all customers since the change in focus on G2K customers are not yet being counted in the DBNE rate. So the recent acceleration in revenue growth (in spite of no percentage increase in the rate of land could be due to larger lands AND/OR faster expands in the 4 most recent quarters (dates from Oct 1 2018 through current). Tinker eluded to this in his recent post (i.e. we may be seeing an increase in expand because AYX is putting an increased effort/focus on getting the world’s largest enterprises to buy Alteryx). It makes sense that this might be happening and of course we will get more clarity as we get the results for the next few quarters. Tinker suggested that the revenue acceleration may be here to stay for a while rather then being a 1-2 quarter anomaly. If we are indeed seeing more G2K lands and larger expands from this category of customers then we may see the revenue growth stay in the 60%s. I will be very interested to see the results for the next 2-3 quarters to confirm whether the hypothesis is correct or not.

Chris

29 Likes