New washer ==> new dryer?

Nothing but happy with our front loader. I can’t see us ever going back to a top loader. Bought the matching pair of Whirlpool at Costco when we moved into our house about 15 years ago. In fact, I used the truck we rented for the move to pick up the units at Costco, then returned the truck. Other than a crack on the handle of the washer, they’re working fine.

1poorguy

1 Like

When we left our last house two years ago we left behind the appliances: GE top-load washer/dryer and a Kenmore (I think) fridge. All were purchased in Chicago when we moved to Knoxville because the company was paying the transportation and the prices in Chicago were hundreds of dollars less. And they served us well for 25 years, although each of them had multiple repairs along the way: a leaking pump in the washer, an out-of-round bearing in the dryer, and multiple failures of the ice maker, but overall, 25 years is a pretty good run.

In this house I bought a Samsung front-load washer/dryer on Craigslist: $400 for the pair. They’ve been great, no issues, a lovely metallic blue finish. The only problem is they’re configured wrong for how the house is set up. The laundry room wants to have the washer on the left/dryer on the right, but the doors open the other way, so they’re in each others’ way when transferring wet laundry to the dryer. Oh well, can’t have everything.

They use significantly less water, and with less agitation on the clothes to boot, yet everything comes out clean. That’s a win.

(I bought a Viking refrigerator and freezer, along with a Kitchen Aide 6 burner stove for $4500, also on Craigslist. Had to drive to Ohio to get it, it was a two year old model never run: a showroom demo being cleared out to make way for a newer model. Also has been terrific. Sometimes you get lucky.)

1 Like

The laundry room wants to have the washer on the left/dryer on the right, but the doors open the other way, so they’re in each others’ way when transferring wet laundry to the dryer. Oh well, can’t have everything. - Goofy

Some appliance are designed such that doors can be reversed to hinge from the other side. I have done that to a front loading dryer and two refrigerators. The dryer was pretty easy, the refrigerator doors were much heavier and a PITA but doable.

3 Likes

Hi Goofyhoofy,

Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6WE2S5FLnI

Does that help you?

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my Fool profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx

1 Like

The only problem is they’re configured wrong for how the house is set up. The laundry room wants to have the washer on the left/dryer on the right, but the doors open the other way, so they’re in each others’ way when transferring wet laundry to the dryer. Oh well, can’t have everything.

My doors are configured right. I still don’t transfer clothes directly from the washer to the dryer. My laundry room is also the entrance from the garage so the floor isn’t always clean. I don’t want to drop wet clothes on the floor. Instead, I move the wet clothes from the washer to a laundry basket. Then I slide the laundry basket over to in front of the dryer. Next is to move the wet clothes from the laundry basket into the dryer.

PSU

1 Like