No info yet on on Medicare Part D premiums for 2026, big premium increases expected

Open enrollment starts October 15th.

Administration policy favors pushing beneficiaries into the much higher skim rates for Medicare Advantage, rewarding big campaign contributors in the insurance industry. Goosing Medicare Part D premiums is one way to do it.

{{ The premium stabilization demonstration will continue for another year under the Trump administration, but with reduced support to PDP sponsors in 2026. The monthly premium subsidy will be reduced from $15 to $10, and the limit on the PDP monthly premium increase will rise to $50 for 2026, up from $35 for 2025. The risk corridor component of the demonstration is being eliminated.

In announcing these changes, CMS states that it is “facilitating the [Part D] program’s return to operating under regular market conditions.” Increasingly, however, these regular conditions appear unfavorable to the ongoing stability of the stand-alone prescription drug plan market, further tilting the playing field for coverage towards Medicare Advantage. }}

intercst

10 Likes

I just checked the Medicare Part D drug plan finder tool on the Medicare website.

I had Wellcare’s ValueScript plan for 2025 with a $0/month premium and the copay’s for the year on the three drugs I take was $60.

I’m now taking 6 drugs in 2026, 5 of them are “preferred generics” with a $0 copay for a 90-day mail order supply. The 6th drug which had a $15 copy for a 90-day supply in 2025 now only has a $9 copay, so my total cost for the year will drop to $36.

While the "preferred generics’ are a bargain, Wellcare has a reputation for price gouging elsewhere. They wanted to charge me $87 for a tube of ointment my dermatologist prescribed that Mark Cuban’s Cost Plus Drug Company sold for $18.

I’m pretty sure that Wellcare’s bet is that most people aren’t going to price check against GoodRx or Mark Cuban before letting Wellcare fill a prescription.

intercst

10 Likes

intercst, I haven’t looked yet, but in your scanning have you noticed if there are still $0 per month Part-D plans that will be offered ? I don’t have any prescriptions cost, but am definitely signing up for some type of Part-D, till the end of me. I have no doubt that sooner or later I’ll be needing to purchase some type of medicine, so will bite the bullet if I have to pay a monthly “cost of admission” type fees in the early years.

2 Likes

The Wellcare ValueScript plan I have is a $0/month premium for 2026. I’m pretty sure it’s offered nationwide. Check to see if it’s offered in your zipcode.

intercst

3 Likes