NPI NVDA Poll

Saul wrote elsewhere:

I note that several people have become mildly annoyed with me for being puzzled about Nvidia (their favorite stock), but I really was (and still am, to some extent) puzzled, and I was using the posts to clarify my thought process, as well as to get ideas from others.

NVDA is one of my favorite stocks but I’m not annoyed, investing is about paying my bills. :wink:

To get ideas from others I ran a poll at NPI, I tried to make the poll as bias free as I could. It’s been up almost 24 hours and has 72 opinions. 86% favor buying the stock, 12% have better places for their money.

How would you rank Nvidia as an investment on a scale of one to five?

Top high tech LTBH stock               43% (31 Votes)
Must have                              31% (23 Votes)
Buy on dips                            12%  (9 Votes)
There are better places for my money   12%  (9 Votes)
Short NVDA                              0%  (0 Votes)

[http://discussion.fool.com/poll-rank-nvidia-34008562.aspx](http://discussion.fool.com/poll-rank-nvidia-34008562.aspx)

Saul’s reluctance seems to be centered on NVDA’s recent performance and that is perfectly in line with Saul’s overall philosophy, don’t hang on to losers, rotate into top winners quickly. The poll seems to favor a different philosophy, buy and hold good companies even through consolidations. The difference seems to be a question of timing.

Denny Schlesinger

17 Likes

NVDA is one of my favorite stocks but I’m not annoyed, investing is about paying my bills. :wink:

To get ideas from others I ran a poll at NPI, I tried to make the poll as bias free as I could. It’s been up almost 24 hours and has 72 opinions. 86% favor buying the stock, 12% have better places for their money.

How would you rank Nvidia as an investment on a scale of one to five?

Top high tech LTBH stock 43% (31 Votes)
Must have 31% (23 Votes)
Buy on dips 12% (9 Votes)
There are better places for my money 12% (9 Votes)
Short NVDA 0% (0 Votes)

http://discussion.fool.com/poll-rank-nvidia-34008562.aspx

Saul’s reluctance seems to be centered on NVDA’s recent performance and that is perfectly in line with Saul’s overall philosophy, don’t hang on to losers, rotate into top winners quickly. The poll seems to favor a different philosophy, buy and hold good companies even through consolidations. The difference seems to be a question of timing.

Denny Schlesinger

I would rate it a “Top High Tech LTBH stock” as well. I think one’s view on NVDA depends on investing style. So I don’t see a contradiction between those who favor NVDA as an investment and those like Saul who might not. It depends on a preference for hyper growth small caps versus high growth large caps, shorter term versus longer term conviction, more or less volatility in a portfolio and more concentrated or diversified portfolios.

I want to buy and hold stocks like NVDA longer term while also investing in higher growth small caps. But I understand others who wish to focus on the latter.

dave

7 Likes

It seems as simple as answering this question

Do you think that a $165B company will become a $330B before another smaller, hyper growth company doubles?

Nothing more, nothing less.

6 Likes

I think one’s view on NVDA depends on investing style. So I don’t see a contradiction between those who favor NVDA as an investment and those like Saul who might not. It depends on a preference for hyper growth small caps versus high growth large caps, shorter term versus longer term conviction, more or less volatility in a portfolio and more concentrated or diversified portfolios.

Views can also be impacted by when folks bought NVDA and/or by the tax implications of adjusting their holding.

I dare say that my 22-ish% NVDA position may be a higher allocation than anyone else that posts here or on NPI (though Tinker’s allocation was likely higher at some point(s) in the past). I trimmed on 2 occasions previously when it was getting up to the 27-28% range, but haven’t trimmed any in 2018, despite it “lagging”. I have no plans to sell any anytime soon, especially with the RTX release which should have a nice positive boost show up in the 4th quarter numbers (quarter ending late January 2019, which will include the Christmas/holiday season), and I don’t want to have to realize those capital gains for 2018 (even though they’re long-term, having bought in late-2014).

Having held such a large NVDA position throughout the January 2018 to present timeframe has likely been a decent-sized part of why my YTD gains have “only” been about 44% through last Friday, fairly far behind Saul’s and others’ gains. I am ok with that, though, as I recognize what I have with NVDA and what the overall implications would be for me selling.

-volfan84
long NVDA

2 Likes