NVDA: US Dept of Energy plans exascale computer

https://www.fastcompany.com/40431777/the-us-just-picked-inte…

Several companies are working to development this system for the US Department of Enegy by 2021.

The following was what was most interesting to me as an NVDA shareholder:

Nvidia’s contribution will be more-powerful graphics processing units for artificial intelligence—a generation or more beyond the new Volta chips going into DoE computers already slated for 2018.

NVDA just launched the Volta GPUs in May. This article was published on June 15, 2017. There are a few takeaways:

1. Volta was already a 5x improvement over Pascal GPUs which were launched in May, 2016.

2. I suspected that NVDA was already working on their next generation GPUs, but I didn’t think that they might be able to launch them already in 2018. Perhaps, NVDA outpacing Moore’s Law will continue for a while longer!!

3. The US government is paying NVDA through contracts for part of the development of more advanced GPUs. Six companies, including NVDA, are sharing $258M in contracts for development of the supercomputer. Presumably, this contract will cover some expenses for development of more advanced GPUs.

4. The article suggests that NVDA’s GPU one generation after Volta will be delivered to the Dept of Energy during 2018. Perhaps a beta test customer for a later general launch.

6 Likes