OT: Emergency room

Lots of dogs have not yet found their poop picker uppers…

The Captain

1 Like

“Did not post about it here, but recently executed a near-perfect face plant after tripping over a root - 6 stitches, one new crown on broken front tooth, slightly crooked smile and one mucocele they may have to excise.”

my sympathy, and empathy, lol, did the same thing.

I trail run a couple of days a week, and those roots covered with dead leaves
seem to get me once a week. I also did a header, and cracked the front tooth,
and will be getting a crown on it.

Oddly enough, I still enjoy the activity, lol.

2 Likes

"Now people walk/hike while texting.

The Captain"

did a bike ride yesterday, part of it went over a narrowish bridge that is wide enough
for 2 way traffic, if both riders move to their respective sides. Oncoming rider was veering all
over the place, and of course he had his head buried in his phone, not even looking up.
I came to a complete stop, and with a smile on my face, said : “Really ??”, as he
went by me. He was civil enough to mumble a “sorry”.

That’s why I do very little biking on roads. Not sure what the percentage is, but there
are quite a few Americans, of all ages and both genders, who cannot control themselves
if a smart phone is available. I’ve never done crack cocaine, lol, but for some people,
a smart phone must have the same neurological effect on their brain as crack cocaine.
They are willing to take the chance that they will kill or injure other people, because their
phone buzzed and they absolutely must find out what is happening on social media that second.
Pretty pathetic.

4 Likes

It has been said that sailing is “hours of boredom, with moments of panic”.

We old phartz of the board remember when Qaz was driving a service truck around Texas, and bored, was trying to get transferred to Alaska for some “adventure”. Seems that “adventure” found Qaz?

Steve

3 Likes

We old phartz of the board remember when Qaz was driving a service truck around Texas, and bored, was trying to get transferred to Alaska for some “adventure”. Seems that “adventure” found Qaz?

Steve,

I had a lot if adventure in South Dakota. It is call - winter.

What happened yesterday was Qaz making series of bad decisions in the face of the history of the helmsman and the boat.

Cheers
Qazulight

How can you be bored with so much to see and so much to do? Whoever said that should stay ashore. You only panic when you don’t know what you are doing. My only ‘near panic’ was in the middle of a huge electric storm sailing from Turks & Caicos to Providenciales.

The Governor of Turks & Caicos was being held in the US on charges of drug trafficking.

The Captain

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Providenciales,+TKCA+1ZZ,+…

What is there to see? The Ancient Polynesians can explain it to you. A marvelous book about a dying art.

We, the Navigators: The Ancient Art of Landfinding in the Pacific Paperback – May 1, 1994

https://www.amazon.com/We-Navigators-Ancient-Landfinding-Pac…

8 Likes

I’ll join the “Fall+ER” team.

While I was in my 80’s when this happened just before the pandemic, my fall wasn’t age-related, just a simple “dumb ass - wasn’t thinking.”

We had a typical Spring storm pass through while the oak tree in the front yard was sending out pollen buds - that look like little worms. My slightly uphill walk to the house was covered with them as well as the sidewalk.

So I grabbed a rake and started ranking them down from the house towards the sidewalk - walking backwards. Was making good progress but forgot about the two steps in the walk. So when I stepped back, there wasn’t a landing ground. When right foot hit the step I twisted around trying to regain balance and hit the grass. But only succeeded in planting my swinging left leg while plunging forward. Made a perfect three point landing just before the street curb - left forehead, left elbow, and left knee. I clearly recall just before landing thinking this isn’t going to be good.

Didn’t knock me out - thank goodness - or only briefly stunned at most. But I saw my shattered eye glasses and felt blood rushing down my face. Got my handkerchief out, covered the split over my left eye and staggered back to the house calling for my wife. She set me down, handed me a handful of Kleenex to replace the soaked handkerchief, and called our daughter. Got me to the emergency room. They took me in quickly - apparently didn’t want me upsetting the others waiting their turn as I continued to bleed pretty good.

CT’s scans were clear, brought in a nice lady doctor who cleaned and closed my cut with 14 stitches. Fortunately, it was a horizontal cut, so just looks like a deeper wrinkle today. Few people notice it.

I was extremely fortunate that I didn’t crack my skull, injure my elbow, or damage my knee. No concussion, my thinking remained clear and I was calm during it all. I’m legal guardian and caregiver for my wife and was able to resume my normal duties. Looked like the fife playing patriot from the revolutionary war cartoon except for two black eyes and a bigger bandage. Entire left side was bruised pretty good but that passed. Took under a week.

Neighbor came over and used hose to clean off the sidewalk blood my wife said. I later measured the distance from my takeoff point to landing strip. 15 feet, so I had some momentum.

Since then, I’ve “walked scared.” Pay a lot of attention to where I’m stepping and look for roots, carpet edges, etc. Lift my feet higher when stepping than I used to do. Careful stepping down even street curbs.

Falls aren’t fun for anyone - especially old folks.

7 Likes

rec to captain for mentioning the ancient Polynesian navigators staggering level of knowledge, thought processes, and courageous skill, and linking to the superb book. The “secrets” they used were almost lost, but some of the last surviving navigators were still alive and happy to explain.

I think of their stunning explorations and migrations as the predecessors of space travel, and as still unsurpassed as feats of brilliant daring.

Here is the radically simplified explanation of what they were doing set out in the Disney film Moana, both the visuals and the words putting across key bits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubZrAmRxy_M

david fb

1 Like

No. of Recommendations: 0

Helmsman can’t hold a heading to save his life.

+++
+++

Sounds like you NEED a [tv] Lawyer. You know, those lawsuits-are-us guys / “don’t be a victim TWICE!” guys.

Sounds like you NEED a [tv] Lawyer. You know, those lawsuits-are-us guys / “don’t be a victim TWICE!” guys.

My insurance will come back and attempt to charge him. I will
make it a point to
say that it was a friend of a friend and I do not know his name or the name of the boat.

He has enough issues.

Cheers
Qazulight

2 Likes