OT: Inadvertent usage

As some may be aware, I write travel guides. I am likely my best customer as I constantly use them as I travel (it’s hard to remember the nuances of each place I visit and forcing myself to write them down has benefited us greatly when we revisit). To be honest, after a while, it’s hard to remember where we were at any specific time.

As a courtesy, I email updates on our travels to those purchasers of the book who have requested it (by sending me a copy of their invoice from Amazon. These updates are essentially the posts I’ve been placing here, on a weekly basis, over the past six months.

Yesterday, I received an email from one of those readers (a couple from Wales who we met on a cruise in 2008 which, frankly, I had pretty much forgotten we had taken) which both flattered and saddened me and I thought I would share it with you (below):

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Missing your messages already!
Over the last six months I have enjoyed receiving your weekly report of life on board and the ports visited. I can’t report reading every word, but have been fascinated by the snippets of how Covid has been managed, (or not,)at sea and in the countries visited. I do hope you don’t succumb now that you are home, and by the way, thank you for the write up on Brooklyn, I had no idea what an interesting place it is.

Tom and I met you and (your wife) on Celebrity Mercury many years ago, Panama Canal. Happy memories of times spent with you both, and thanks for your tips on gemstones, which I still recall.

Your “world” cruise has spanned a difficult few months here. When we received the first instalment, Tom was seriously ill, having recently been diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia. As well as other problems, this affected his sight, so I read him each instalment as it arrived. They were a short diversion from the usual worry and sick bed routine. He was at home receiving palliative care. Sadly, he died at the end of February, and your messages then continued to give me a short distraction each week.
I miss him. Very much, but know he would want me to make a life for myself post Covid, and that’s what I intend to do.

I will be dipping my toe into the world of solo cruising, a new experience! So far, I haven’t found any helpful websites but haven’t really searched too far yet.

Anyway, thank you so much for your writing, all the very best to you both, and hope it’s not too long before the journal resumes.

Best wishes and keep your masks on!!!
Pat
(Wales)

24 Likes

Please let Pat know that there are a lot of widows and widowers out here who appreciate and applaud her kind, sensible and vulnerable note. Go Pat! We are rooting for you.

david fb
(loves to travel, as did my two deceased and one living husband)

3 Likes