OT? Maybe not.... Pollution changes what the artist "sees"

4 Likes

Light pollution destroys the beauty of the moonless night sky.

No need for scientists to figure that one out. :imp:

The Captain

2 Likes

A friend, an artist, inspired by Monet, says Monet’s painting is so indistinct due to Monet being near sighted.

:art::paintbrush:
ralph

2 Likes

Ralph,

I like that and it may in part be very true.

Monet was playing with new techniques to capture light but not shape so much.

The pollution was an event at that time. But that was not why the paintings were that way for the most part.

1 Like

Indeed. When painters moved out of the studio the lighting became much more variable. Try painting the light reflecting off a stream or ocean without becoming ‘hazy’. The same with clouds scudding across the sky. The techniques learned spread. Then came the Fauves with pure brilliant (but unnatural) color. I don’t think pollution was less by the turn of the century.

DB2

Interesting. One of the things that recently convinced me to get cataract surgery was that my night vision (which had been pretty good) started to look more and more like a Van Gogh painting, especially lights. I wondered if Van Gogh, who has always been one of my favorites, had bad cataracts.

The surgery was great and now can drive without glasses. And I’m still amazed by the colors; I forgot how blue the sky is and how white white is! Although to be fair, my lawn, which looked like a lush greenish carpet before surgery, now looks like crap. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My grandmother around age 95 goes into the nursing home. In the first year she has cataract surgery. Mom goes into to visit her the next morning. She is wearing the visor. Mom askes how her morning is going?

Grandma, “I have good news and bad news”.
Mom sinking, “tell me the good news”.
Grandma, “I can see colors, the room is bright, I feel great about it”.
Mom, “the bad news”?
Grandma, “I went in the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. I am an old hag”.

1 Like