OT Mexican food in Tokyo

Admitting my ignorance, how common is the Taco truck in states other than CA and TX? For me, there’s something quaint about the little touches each owner has for their particular truck e.g. condiment set-up. Here’s a story about a taco truck in an unusual location
He left Japan and learned how to make tacos in Mexico. Now he owns the hottest taco truck in Tokyo (msn.com)

After I read this story, I had a desire for Mexican food. Luckily for me, earlier in the day, I had stopped at my local Del Taco, and still had some Taco salad left.

Hat tip to Mr Yamato as I enjoyed my Chicken salad

3 Likes

How common? Well, in the most New England’y area of the United States…(meaning we are NOT diversified up here at all)…my little town in state of Vermont probably has at least three or so. I’d say ubiquitous is the status, if I can use a big word I learned over 35yrs ago and only just now found a reason for knowing it…LOL.

3 Likes

@dlbuffy - ah suppose y’all have Vermont cheese variations to the tacos/food?

2 Likes

I spotted this taco truck (well, a burrito truck I guess) in Berlin.

2 Likes

This site lists taco trucks in metro Detroit. Of course, Detroit has a Mexican neighborhood, along with the Greek, Irish, and Polish, neighborhoods. Sticks in my mind that the media was hyping a taco truck festival some weeks ago.

2 Likes

Vermont Cabot cheddar for the WIN!!!

1 Like

Vermont Cabot cheddar for the WIN!!!

A Los Angeles based Mexican food chain, El Pollo Locco, has a menu item that is a bowl of rice, whole beans, chicken and salsa. Well, this one time they served me the bowl with some type of melted Mexican cheese. That was an extra delicious meal. Unfortunately, I didn’t think to ask the staff what type of cheese it was.

2 Likes

Why not the best restaurant in our area, Millwrights, has Ta-gue a taco stand with dinning outside by the restaurant and the river that runs by the glassed in inside bar downstairs of the restaurant. See the pictures. This is by far the best taco stand around. The chef is from Southern California.

This is Simsbury, CT.

2 Likes

To a certain extent, I’d say as common as the hispanic population. Ran across some great taco trucks in Louisiana and Tennessee but both areas had a significant Hispanic population.

Funny aside, as far as cross culture food goes, was in Macau over 20 years ago. Noticed the local McDonalds was advertising a McCajun burger. Single patty burger with a slice of ham and slice of pineapple. Being from Louisiana I got the biggest laugh out of that. So NOT cajun.

2 Likes