OT MKL share purchases

Markel has resumed share repurchases this year after stock has languished in the last few years. Their retrocessional ILS business arms CATco and LodgePine were shut down after poor results.

Somebody at Berkshire Hathaway is also buying MKL shares. The amounts involved are too small for it to be Buffett’s. It is either Ted Weschler or Todd Coombs.

Both Tom Gayner and Ted/Todd are seeing the value in MKL.

Their reported purchase prices are very similar. The stock is trading below Q1 purchases and around the same level as their Q2 purchases.

https://www.dataroma.com/m/hist/hist.php?f=BRK&s=MKL

For me, MKL has been a ‘set it and forget it’ investment. Good, trustworthy operators.

I sure hope BRK leaves them alone other than nibbling. Can’t imagine they’d be a target.

BRK’s nibbling does throw some ‘valuation’ light on MKL’s value though…which is a kinda good thing.

Good luck to y’all. Stay long and strong.

m

Their reported purchase prices are very similar. The stock is trading below Q1 purchases and around the same level as their Q2 purchases.

Those “reported purchase prices” are just the closing price for that security for each quarter. There is not a granular disclosure of what price was paid for securities during the quarter in a 13F. Sometimes we can find out on other filings but that is not what dataroma is showing.

4 Likes

I sure hope BRK leaves them alone other than nibbling. Can’t imagine they’d be a target.

Why not?

I’d love to see their team added to BRK.

2 Likes

Because an increased MKL share price will do more for a MKL investor rather than a drop of sand going into a $700B black hole.

2 Likes

Man, you have no faith in Berkshire do you?

Ha…no I’m a BRK kool-aider. And I understand math too.

1 Like