OT: Papers please. Can't vote without your papers

Yes, a plain non-driver license ID should be free whenever possible. How much does a non-driving license ID cost in most places? I think it’s $25 around here.

Of course, you also needed ID to cash your stimulus checks a few years ago, so almost all people probably already have ID.

2 Likes

That is what is required in the US Constitution (no head or poll tax). I have posted on TMF the need for a National ID Card. Everyone legally in the US gets one free of charge. Of course, it will be used for a wide variety of other functions/purposes that require an ID. Requiring an ID that can only be obtained by paying a fee is the definition of a head/poll tax.

1 Like

How much trouble is it to get that ID? In my state a person with out a driver’s license and a car might have to find a way to get to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles branch to the the “free” ID provided that the person has the other proofs of birth, citizenship, and residency that may not be without costs. It is all nice and legal, but so was the Holocaust.

2 Likes

IMO, it is not (and never has been).

1 Like

I just think if people want an ID for voting you should take every objection away. Of course somebody will always find a reason to object but you are only trying to find a majority.

Andy

1 Like