OT Rant: 3M can bite me (extra characters required to pacify the Fool)

I am sure the lack of dust in your place is part of the reason your filter picks up little. My place is very dusty. Has been like that for 26 years. The worst dust seems to be in the rooms nearest the furnace. Hate to think what the inside of the ducts looks like.

Steve

1 Like

Maybe the different filters are designed to clog more easily by companies that want you to buy their product monthly vs every 3-6 months. Monthly recurrent income vs semi annual recurrent income. Just a thought…doc

My furnace was built in 1986 Steve’s furnace was built in 2018 (32 years). I use 3m pleated filters at 1900 MPR Steve uses 3M 300 MPR filters. Steve’s furnace cycles on and off over heating. Mine runs fine. I change my filters every 3 months but could probably run for 6 months, Steve can not get even 1 month out of his. I live in the Desert, which is very dusty, I am not sure where Steve lives.

From what I have read pleated filters are much better filters than the old fiberglass filters.

Andy

That is what I am thinking, based on the photographic evidence of some filters being clogged to the point of tripping the furnace limit switch after only a month of use. Some rise to defend the “JC”, and insist it’s all my fault. But I look at the trend of “JCs” looking to increase cash flow from customers. Automakers are pushing car features as a “subscription service”, so they have a revenue stream for the life of the car, if people want features of the car to work. Why shouldn’t a big company like 3M, intentionally make a shoddy product, to increase revenue, while driving competition from store shelves so consumers don’t have a choice?

1 Like