OT:True confessions-A cruise to nowhere-8

https://discussion.fool.com/true-confessions-a-cruise-to-nowhere…

For those who are interested.

Incidentally, due to 35 knot headwinds, tomorrow’s stop at Curacao has just been cancelled, adding to the long list of itinerary hacks.

Jeff

6 Likes

You are going to miss the Fruit Market. Venezuelan boats…

https://www.google.com/search?q=cura%C3%A7ao+fruit+market&am…

The Captain

2 Likes

love these reports and your bizarre cruise.

david fb

2 Likes

"For those who are interested.

Incidentally, due to 35 knot headwinds, tomorrow’s stop at Curacao has just been cancelled, adding to the long list of itinerary hacks.

Jeff"

Are you on a cruise or the Flying Dutchmen?

JimA

2 Likes

Are you on a cruise or the Flying Dutchmen? bizarre cruise

Sometimes I wonder :slight_smile:

It seems to take a “special” type of person to take a six month cruise - and around 240 of the 285 +/- passengers aboard are doing the time. They range from the apparently normal to the obviously opposite of normal (curve seems to be right-hand weighted :-).

There’s a lot of good news; it’s not home, there hasn’t been any hint of COVID for weeks. the food is better than on most ships, the entertainment better than expected (though the bridge players are a collection of the halfway decent, the bad and the ugly) and, since the ship is only about 1/3 full, there are more crew than passengers. But then there is the ever-changing itinerary as we run from COVID, a war, foul weather and who knows what else.

Life should be an adventure and this is but part of the path.

Jeff

3 Likes

Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

Jeff

Whiner … ;-D

I got a call from a young lady at Sunwing that my flight to Varadero on Thursday was cancelled. However due to an unmentioned technicality (claimed they had a note saying they had informed me several days ago) so they would be giving me a credit rather than my $3500.
She then offered me a different flight via Toronto with one week that would cost the same as the two week one that I booked during the desperate time when bookings had all sorts of nice perks and upgrades.

Called my free lawyer and she told me to request a copy of the email they claimed to have sent as they were required by law to keep it on file. Suddenly I got an offer for the last two weeks of April same resort and upgraded room with the former perks for a paltry extra C$480. April is not what we had in mind but truth is the weather in Cuba is pretty much the same all year around (excluding the occasional hurricane) and April is still pretty crappy in Halifax. We also get to dodge the Spring Break drunken party.

I’m fully aware that the travel companies are suffering but I’m pretty sure they resold my package for twice what we had paid for it (Spring Break you know).

Meanwhile my West coast eldest sister also had her flight to Varadero for 1 Mar cancelled. She mentioned something about walking three kilometers to get a bottle of Gin. }};-D

OT - A good friend of hers is a retired Lt/General reservist from our home town. He got a call yesterday asking if he would like to come back to work during the current crisis. His early background was infantry in the very same regiment I started my career in.

Tim

5 Likes

OT - A good friend of hers is a retired Lt/General reservist from our home town (Marathon Ont … not Florida). He got a call yesterday asking if he would like to come back to work during the current crisis. His early background was infantry in the very same regiment I started my career in but had moved on years before to aircrew.

Well that didn’t take long, he is now located back at “Allied Joint Force Command Naples”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omer_Lavoie

I suppose his Cuba plans fell by the wayside as well … but hey Italy on a Lt Generals salary?!

Tim