OT Weeding out the militants to save innocent lives

2 Likes

I am much less upset about public use of facial recognition systems than most commentators I read.

I think humans, from the Agricultural revolution on, have socially evolved a strong dependence on the public/private distinction, with ā€œpublicā€ meaning people can see and recognize you for who you are when you are ā€œin public.ā€

Modernity has undermined that.

d fb

3 Likes

This will restrict the violent and remove the innocent even if sympathetic from harm hopefully.

2 Likes

And it implies Hamas participants will wear masks or disguises.

2 Likes

That marks them as combatants.

We need this resolved now. Hamas has no intentions of moving forward.

1 Like

Last time I went through customs, I had to remove my hat and glasses, and look into the camera.

Facial recognition software facilitated my onboarding, and off boarding. I was quite happy with the process.
If the Gazan/Pals are truly ā€˜non-combatantā€™ then they should ā€˜welcomeā€™ this?

:thinking:
ralph
is there a ā€˜not holding my breathā€™ emoji?
:rhinoceros: :lungs:
Beats me. Thatā€™s what the ā€˜emoji searchā€™ offered.

2 Likes

Sure. But the goal is to identify those wearing Hamas uniforms so you can spot them pretending to be innocent civilians.

The goal is to let the non combatants by so the fighting can go on without innocent people in the area.

1 Like

Sure. But how do you identify the combatants?

Seen with gun
Holding contraband
Talking at length with known associates
video record of lip movements indicating death to Israel
ā€¦
ā€¦
ā€¦

7 degrees of Kevin bacon

1 Like

Yes, but point is facial recognition requires good image of the face. So face mask or disguise is obvious defense against the technology described.

1 Like

Agree. Which is also why wearing a mask will become a proxy to be a bad guy.

For the sake of the list above, you could insert it just below ā€œholding contrabandā€ as an indicator.

:smiley:

1 Like

If you are out in public, you must show your face, you must be identifiable. This is not onerous, it is an ancient idea, and is fundamental to the difference between public and private. That we even have to discuss this shows how far our comprehension of social systems has drifted from underlying realities.

The other arena where this is relevant but also ignored is regarding Islamic rules regarding burqa and hijab. The original intent of the burqa (actually pre-Islamic aristocratic Persian in origin) was and is to prevent women from appearing in public, and so even when walking the streets they ā€œare not there but at homeā€ā€¦ The purpose of hijab is to meet a ā€œtraditionalā€ notion of female modesty, but hijab leaves the face open and recognizable. It is the terrifyingly erotic hair that must vanish.

d fb

1 Like

Totally agree. Whenever Iā€™m in the store and a dude walks in wearing a ski maskā€¦I run like hell.

And then came another round of Covid.

surgical masks leave enough of the face so as to mostly allow recognition, unlike burqas and ski masks.

d fb

The combatants are armed and coming out of tunnels. The combatants are in smaller groups of men moving quickly. The combatants have food.

It does not just have to be the face.

1 Like

Indeed. From 2018:

Already used by police on the streets of Beijing and Shanghai, ā€œgait recognitionā€ is part of a push across China to develop artificial-intelligence and data-driven surveillance that is raising concern about how far the technology will go.

Huang Yongzhen, the CEO of Watrix, said that its system can identify people from up to 50 meters (165 feet) away, even with their back turned or face covered.

DB2

2 Likes