PC chart application update

After reading Phoolio18’s comment about the computer generated charts looking too flat and looking at his manual chart examples I went back and modified the application to scale differently on logarithmic charts. This results in what are probably better looking charts. I also added a page setup option to allow for portrait layout as well as landscape for printed charts. The new version is available on Google Drive, same place as before.

A note on earnings values in the text file. I was reviewing some notes Saul posted on graphing. One had earnings numbers for AIOCF and BOFI. The numbers Saul had for AIOCF were quite a bit different than the ones I had in the file. The BOFI numbers matched exactly though. I think I got those AIOCF numbers from my beta tester (apologies if that’s incorrect). I don’t know if the differences are due to currency values since AIOCF is Canadian or if the numbers are just wrong. I have not tried to verify them myself yet. So again, if you use the application and file it is wise to verify any numbers you are serious about.

Steve

2 Likes

A note on earnings values in the text file. I was reviewing some notes Saul posted on graphing. One had earnings numbers for AIOCF and BOFI. The numbers Saul had for AIOCF were quite a bit different than the ones I had in the file. The BOFI numbers matched exactly though. I think I got those AIOCF numbers from my beta tester (apologies if that’s incorrect). I don’t know if the differences are due to currency values since AIOCF is Canadian or if the numbers are just wrong. I have not tried to verify them myself yet. So again, if you use the application and file it is wise to verify any numbers you are serious about.

Steve,

For AOICF if you use the earnings numbers in CAD then you should use the stock prices in CAD too (AVO.TO) and this should automatically make the charts accurate and make the P/Es, 1YRPEG, etc. accurate.

Chris

1 Like

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=AVO.TO&p=D&b=4&… daily

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=AVO.TO&p=W&b=4&… weekly

Quillnpenn -

1 Like

Steve, et al,
I think I am the “beta tester”. In any case I did plug in some numbers for AIOCF at one point. I did not get them from the financial reports, I got them from the “adjusted earnings” on the earnings page at Fidelity (one of the brokerages I use). I did not verify them and most certainly did not make any currency translations (they were reported as USD, so I used them as reported). I plugged in the data in order to get view of the graphs, I did not make an effort to validate the information. I don’t recall if I entered any other information.

As Steve cautions. If you are using this tool to make investment decisions, screen the numbers for validity.

br

I got them from the “adjusted earnings” on the earnings page at Fidelity

Just as a cautionary note: I spent some time looking into some published “adjusted earnings” figures from brokerages and other financial data sources, and found they often did not match what the company itself actually reported as their adjusted earnings. Instead, what is presented as adjusted earnings is usually a separate calculation done by the brokerage or data service that is often designed to match what they think analysts care about so that the numbers are comparable to analyst estimates to easily determine if there was a “beat” or a “miss” when earnings are released. I have not found anybody who actually provides the company-published figures (not saying nobody does, but I haven’t found them yet)

So unless you’ve gone to some length to ensure that the figures match those reported directly by various companies, I’d be very wary. Like Saul says, it’s really best to just take 5 minutes and get them straight from the company press releases.

Neil

3 Likes

I got them from the “adjusted earnings” on the earnings page at Fidelity

Just as a cautionary note: I spent some time looking into some published “adjusted earnings” figures from brokerages and other financial data sources, and found they often did not match what the company itself actually reported as their adjusted earnings. Instead, what is presented as adjusted earnings is usually a separate calculation done by the brokerage or data service that is often designed to match what they think analysts care about so that the numbers are comparable to analyst estimates to easily determine if there was a “beat” or a “miss” when earnings are released. I have not found anybody who actually provides the company-published figures (not saying nobody does, but I haven’t found them yet)

So unless you’ve gone to some length to ensure that the figures match those reported directly by various companies, I’d be very wary. Like Saul says, it’s really best to just take 5 minutes and get them straight from the company press releases. - Neil

I echo what Neil just said.

Saul