People may scrap weekly print edition

People may scrap its weekly print edition as its new owner looks to slash costs — even as writers privately gripe that the magazine’s new editor looks to be an awkward fit for the celebrity-gossip icon, The Post has learned

Staffers at People — a 48-year-old fixture in grocery checkout lines, beauty salons and doctor’s offices known for its “Sexiest Man Alive” cover — are bracing for the magazine to go online-only after Dotdash Meredith, a unit of billionaire Barry Diller’s IAC, shuttered a slew of print publications, sources close to the situation said.

Those include Entertainment Weekly and the fashion glossy InStyle, which once oozed profit and was thick with advertising pages. People, meanwhile, faces getting the ax despite claiming the largest audience of any US magazine for nearly a decade until 2018, when it surrendered the title to AARP.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/16/peoples-print-magazine-faces-c…

gasp What next? “National Gossip”? What mindless drivel will grocery stores fill those racks with?

Steve

1 Like

As a Fuddy-Duddy, self admitted - and one who loathes 60% of modernity… I love print.

My weekly Economist magazine in the mailbox. Nice witty cover, glossy.

I also get the weekend edition of WSJ - -I look outside on Saturday morning - oh my there it is like the good ol days - wrapped in plastic at end of the driveway - delivered by someone earning money. ’

I admit, I smell the newspaper before starting my donut and coffee.’

In some cases- like Baron’s - I sold out and went online simply to save money.

And for the record - I only do streaming movies/TV if I have no choice, and DW turns it on - I refuse to do it and never have.

My stacks of lovely DVDs suit me fine.

Getting my home theater done this coming month - and certainly I’m having the DVD player hooked up to the system, despite the installer dudes looking at me weirdly.

(Enjoyed 2 episodes of MASH on DVD just last night:)

2 Likes

eweppi: Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

As a Fuddy-Duddy, self admitted - and one who loathes 60% of modernity… I love print.

My weekly Economist magazine in the mailbox. Nice witty cover, glossy.

My stacks of lovely DVDs suit me fine.

Getting my home theater done this coming month - and certainly I’m having the DVD player hooked up to the system, despite the installer dudes looking at me weirdly.

Do you happen to live anywhere within range of Steve? }};-D

I actually own a plug in External DVD drive (USB Type-A & Type-C) that I bought when my new Mini-Desktop came without one.

I’ve used it exactly once when I needed to get some backed up pictures on DVD moved to the new desktop. If I recall it was very cheap. Checked the Amazon.ca archive and it was C$28.99 (plus CDN$4.35 for the 15% tax) with free Prime shipping.

Tim

OT - WCS Oil (Western Canadian Select) up US$3.20 today! Let loose the whiners!

1 Like