Plastics In Our Oceans

https://twitter.com/peregreine/status/1491445893304033283

1 Like

Lots more can be done with this problem.

1. Require deposit on all containers.
  2. Put a fleet out there collecting floating plastic.
  3. Convince EPA to encourage burning plastics as an energy source.
  4. Expand recycling by requiring more recycled plastic in packaging as for shampoo, etc.
  5. Encourage chemical recycling where used plastic is broken down to useful and valuable ingredients for better control of contamination.
2 Likes

Require deposits on all containers.

Require deposit on all containers is one of my fave topics. I’ve seen it work in Canada, Maine, and elsewhere. And the deposits are now .10 cents and higher.

As a kid, Paul, I used to surf construction sites for tossed Tru-Ade, Coke, Pepsi, and one-quart ginger ale bottles.

A 12-ounce bottle was +.02 cents (penny candy was penny candy back then.)

A 32-ounce Climax, Canada Dry, or Clicquot Club Ginger Ale bottle was worth +.05 cents.

Kids in my neighborhood would get down into storm drains, creeks, and swamps to retrieve bottles.

2. Put a fleet out there to collect plastics.

Yes that is happening with a load of initiatives spearheaded by gangs of young Millennial entrepreneurs and non-profits. The collection is not a problem on top of the water. It’s what is at the bottom of the oceans and near shore waters, and what is now called “micro-plastics” destroying the lives of fish and now humans.

Here’s something I was not aware of until recently: there are 7 Recycle labels. Only Numbers 1 and 2 are recyclable for more than one use. Remember the old recycle logo? It has now been superseded by these 7 recycle symbols, all of which I’ve seen but never knew the explanations of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LELvVUIz5pY

3. Convince EPA to encourage burning plastics as an energy source.

A petrol based waste product burned? I’m wondering if you have a link on any process which could keep this “clean?”

4. Expand recycling by requiring more recycled plastic in packaging as for shampoo, etc.

Agree 100%, and this would put people out there to collect much of this crap as discussed in 1 above.

5. Encourage chemical recycling where used plastic is broken down to useful and valuable ingredients for better control of contamination.

About a year ago, I ran across several articles about companies making new plant based plastics which break down after a few years. What had me wondering about this interesting fix was "What do we do with the millions of tons of this shite dumped every year into creeks, rivers, streams, oceans, and landfills?

If you got a link addressing this last point of yours, I’d love to read it or view it.