Prescriptions - Check Manufacturer Coupons

Even if you have health insurance with prescription coverage, check the manufacturer’s website or ask your doctor for coupons.

We were able to take a 3 month cost for one of my husband’s scripts from $550 to $75 with a manufacturer’s coupon. GoodRX was only getting it down to $225 or so.

impolite

5 Likes

…check the manufacturer’s website or ask your doctor for coupons.

A few years ago I was prescribed an expensive drug but the hospital I was in had a special deal with the manufacturer that made it quite cheap. However as soon as I tried to fill the prescription outside… WHOOO, hundreds a month. A wonderful woman at the drug store where I was trying to buy it dug up such a manufacturer’s coupon. As a result I have been paying $10 for each prescription. When the doctor changed it from 30 days to 90 days it remained at $10! I’ve moved since then, but I always drive back to that pharmacy for that one prescription. I’ve got my fingers crossed, as the next “renewal” is from a different doctor at a totally different practice. I’ve got the paper coupon in my wallet though.

Even if you have health insurance with prescription coverage, check the manufacturer’s website or ask your doctor for coupons.

This is so true. DD just got a new RX for a fairly new drug. She generally gets her meds via mail order from CVS. They called her to get approval prior to filling this RX because her co-pay for 15 pills came out to $800. They said the initial cost was $1600. I told her to check GoodRX and to check the manufacturer website. GoodRX came in at $4000 for those same 15 pills. With the manufacturer coupon and by going to the local CVS store instead of the mail order, they are now saying she will have a $0 co-pay.

As this is a new RX for something that they have yet to find a med that will work, paying some ridiculous amount and not knowing that this will actually do the trick made the pricing that much more insane.

4 Likes

GoodRX was 5 times more expensive than the $800 co-pay your daughter was initially quoted?
I am very glad that things worked out well for the $0 co-pay. I always thought Good RX came
out cheaper. I have one of their cards in my wallet. I did end up asking about what my co-pay
would be for a generic antibiotic. It went down from $2 with my drug plan to $.18 with GoodRX.

Robyn

GoodRX was 5 times more expensive than the $800 co-pay your daughter was initially quoted?

Yes.

I always thought Good RX came out cheaper.

So did I, and that was why I had suggested it to her. I’ve never used GoodRX, so this was a first attempt for any of us. We were not impressed, but it could just be because the medication is so new and not a lot of folks are taking it yet, so GoodRX isn’t buying the volume that would lead to a lower price.

1 Like

I always thought Good RX came out cheaper.

Hasn’t proved useful for me. I have checked for several prescriptions and none were cheaper than insurance.

I have used GoodRX for some things. I check the prices of whatever I have to get(this was mostly pre-surgery meds) and go with the best price. I don’t have drug coverage because the only regular medication I take is $40/year from Walmart - their regular price for it.

There’s no reason not to check when I get prescribed anything so I do and I also check singlecare as well as prices from whatever pharmacies.